Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence to pull a "Eli Manning", get drafted by Minnesota
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Yup, there are no quick fixes for what ails the team...kids starting need experience and the average or below average vets on the team are here for the season too. 

Unless there is some major player insurrection, or Zimmer goes all Denny Green on the Wilfs, he aint going anywhere during the season either. 

It is what it is this year.

The only thing worse for this team finishing 3/13 would be to end up 6/10.  
And I almost hate to say it, but the latter is more likely. 
That would be true to the Vikings ethos, no doubt. I dont see 5 wins out there the rest of the season. I predict 1 division win in totality this year. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Yup, there are no quick fixes for what ails the team...kids starting need experience and the average or below average vets on the team are here for the season too. 

Unless there is some major player insurrection, or Zimmer goes all Denny Green on the Wilfs, he aint going anywhere during the season either. 

That would be true to the Vikings ethos, no doubt. I dont see 5 wins out there the rest of the season. I predict 1 division win in totality this year. 
Problem is that the Vikings just aren't as bad as people think. This is still the team that ran up over 200 yards against both the Seahawks and Titans. It's still a team with Dalvin Cook and Justin Jefferson. I think the sooner we put away dreams of a top 5 pick, the better off we'll be.

What is it they say? Plan for the best but hope for the worst. Something like that. ;-)

@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Problem is that the Vikings just aren't as bad as people think. This is still the team that ran up over 200 yards against both the Seahawks and Titans. It's still a team with Dalvin Cook and Justin Jefferson. I think the sooner we put away dreams of a top 5 pick, the better off we'll be.

What is it they say? Plan for the best but hope for the worst. Something like that. ;-)

but in this case... the worst would be the best.... so how does that factor into ye ol sayin? :p

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
...or an Elway. I don't think it will happen, but it COULD if the Vikings are close enough to the top, rendering a trade feasible. Among the 5 or 6-loss teams (Jets, Wash, Giants, Falcons, Jax, Miami) only the Dolphins and Falcons could make a case for being an organization as appealing to a QB as the Vikings. And the Dolphins just drafted Tua. 

Probably moot though. Both the Falcons and Vikings are likely to win too many games to remain that high in the order. 
of course we did just lose to the falcons,  come out of the bye (Zimmer team seems to suck out of the bye) and go to green bay (zimmers team seems to suck against green bay now),  factor in the way Zim seems to like throwing people under buses... I could see a bad loss to green bay and the wheels come flying off.
Yeah, I could see a bad loss prompting some sort of big change, but I doubt it will be against Green Bay. A bad loss against the Lions at home the following week might do it. But what the hell does that even look like? We don't have a lot of options. Mannion is a support QB, not a backup. He's not someone who's going to come in and win a game for us. If we do bench Cousins, it will be because we are tanking. And there goes whatever trade value he might have. So not very likely. 

Contrary to what the talk-radio crazies are saying, the Vikings are not firing their coach or their OC. And it's not like we're going to bench our veteran corners in favor of some youngsters. The youngsters are already starting. 

So yeah, I can see the wheels flying off but I have no idea what that would look like. It might look like status quo. 

if he is going to get traded it needs to be in the next 2 weeks though,  if not it leaves a very very small window ( 2 days)  to trade him once the league year opens up late winter.  I am sure he would have to be involved with any trade talks that were to take place so I am thinking that once the trade deadline passes there can be no talks prior to the new league year?

@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

That's how I see this season unfolding the rest of the way. I don't see Zim or Rick getting fired before the end of the season (I still think they stay on for next year as well), and for every shit show like the Falcons game, there'll probably be an upset win thrown in there.

Regardless, I'm kinda fascinated to see what happens this offseason. All sorts of questions that need answers.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I couldn't blame him for avoiding the Jets, and he could just go back to Clemson. But...why would he try to get his draft rights traded to Minnesota, of all places? Does he have family here? Is he known to enjoy winter sports? (OK he does have the classic look of a snowboarder..) Will his agent advise him that the state tax rate in Minnesota is favorable to NFL millionaires?
I suppose it's "because we're such a good team and organization". Well, the article suggested Lawrence might have watched the Jets' game against Miami and decided they are a terrible team. What if Lawrence tuned in to the Falcons manhandling the Vikings??
I think the Jets are locked on to him.

You did not even mention the one thing that should scare all QBs away from the Vikings.

The complete lack of ability at identifying even average NFL guards.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

That's how I see this season unfolding the rest of the way. I don't see Zim or Rick getting fired before the end of the season (I still think they stay on for next year as well), and for every shit show like the Falcons game, there'll probably be an upset win thrown in there.

Regardless, I'm kinda fascinated to see what happens this offseason. All sorts of questions that need answers.
No, it's not very likely Zim gets fired. He would have to completely lose control of the team. Could happen, but I don't see it. And Rick, probably one of the top 5 to 7 GMs in the NFL, isn't going anywhere either. Can you imagine? There would be a feeding frenzy in the NFL for his services.

I think the Vikings go roughly .500 the rest of the way, and barring a blockbuster trade (Cousins? Hunter?) end up taking a 3T, OL or the "4th" QB in the draft, lace 'em up and try again next year. 

But I do think there will be prominent Vikings who won't be on the team next year (Barr, Rudy, Harry maybe). 

@PurpleCrush said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

No, it's not very likely Zim gets fired. He would have to completely lose control of the team. Could happen, but I don't see it. And Rick, probably one of the top 5 to 7 GMs in the NFL, isn't going anywhere either. Can you imagine? There would be a feeding frenzy in the NFL for his services.

I think the Vikings go roughly .500 the rest of the way, and barring a blockbuster trade (Cousins? Hunter?) end up taking a 3T, OL or the "4th" QB in the draft, lace 'em up and try again next year. 

But I do think there will be prominent Vikings who won't be on the team next year (Barr, Rudy, Harry maybe). 
Barr... deserves to be gone
Rudy and Harry... deserve to be given the chance to win a ring somewhere,  it wont be here if they continue on with Cousins and his contract.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@MaroonBells said:

Barr... deserves to be gone
Rudy and Harry... deserve to be given the chance to win a ring somewhere,  it wont be here if they continue on with Cousins and his contract.
Barr, Rudy, and Harry...I can see them being traded or released, and I can also see them staying and have their contracts restructured. Guess it all depends on how the rest of the season shakes out.

Harris and Reiff? JMO but I think they should get traded ASAP unless the team views the comp pick they'd get for Harris as being higher than what offers they receive. Reiff could certainly help some teams with needs at tackle, like the Titans, Eagles, Cowboys, etc. and could probably fetch a decent pick in return.

I think it would be kind of shitty to trade Reiff after he took a huge pay cut & is playing fairly well, which would probably be right up Spielman’s alley...  Wink