Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the bottom
Quote: @Jor-El said:

There are too many games where the Vikings come out totally flat and get pushed around by an opponent they should beat

Yep. Getting tired of the roulette wheel every week of whether or not we'll show up. I know it's the NFL and teams lay eggs, but we do it way more often than other teams. It's been a problem forever under Zim. I don't get it. I can't explain it. I don't like it.

@Bullazin said:
I think Zimmer should be kept. I dont really have a problem with Spielman outside of QB and Oline. I would keep it intact but let the Kubiaks pick our next QB and Oline. 
Saying a GM is fine aside from QB is like saying an engineer designed a good airplane aside from the wings. Maybe you can be a successful GM if you're not good at picking punters or even tight ends or linebackers, but getting a winning QB is mandatory. 

I also have some doubt that, "Zimmer has the players respect and holds them accountable to each other." There are too many games where the Vikings come out totally flat and get pushed around by an opponent they should beat, and in some instances their playoff chances were on the line. I think they like Zimmer personally and like playing for him - but that isn't the same as going to war for him.
if you take into context his options he hasnt been turrible outside of ponder. Do you throw away a better than average GM, or do you get him some help for his weaknesses? 

Same for Zimmer, he is better than average, why not just shore up the weaknesses

Solid leadership doesnt grow on trees. Im ready to put Stanley in when we get to 8 losses, which looks to be by Thanksgiving at this rate. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@Jor-El said:
@Bullazin said:
I think Zimmer should be kept. I dont really have a problem with Spielman outside of QB and Oline. I would keep it intact but let the Kubiaks pick our next QB and Oline. 
Saying a GM is fine aside from QB is like saying an engineer designed a good airplane aside from the wings. Maybe you can be a successful GM if you're not good at picking punters or even tight ends or linebackers, but getting a winning QB is mandatory. 

I also have some doubt that, "Zimmer has the players respect and holds them accountable to each other." There are too many games where the Vikings come out totally flat and get pushed around by an opponent they should beat, and in some instances their playoff chances were on the line. I think they like Zimmer personally and like playing for him - but that isn't the same as going to war for him.
if you take into context his options he hasnt been turrible outside of ponder. Do you throw away a better than average GM, or do you get him some help for his weaknesses? 
Sticking with an average GM for fear of failure is the recipe for mediocrity. Look across the pond at what GB did as an example. It may or may not work that is why you continue to evaluate and build a solid process for situations like these. If you don't have a process then that's on you (in this case the Wilfs)
Take coaching staff for example... the Vikings currently have one of the largest coaching staffs in the NFL with 2 former head coaches. How much help do you need to provide till you notice the current system is no working?

@Jor-El said:
@Bullazin said:

Really?? What context explains Bradford? The rest of the league knew his knee was about to fall apart by the time we traded for him. What context explains Cousins? I know he was supposedly a hot free agent, but I don't think anyone was bidding against us except the Jets. Oh boy, the mighty Jets also thought he was a top QB..

Even Bridgewater is hardly a slam-dunk, is he? He never established that he could put the team on his back before he got hurt, and he's not setting the world on fire with the Panthers (2 INTs today). My hunch is that Teddy will soon transition into a (beloved) career backup.

Spielman also brought in worthless has-beens like Donovan McNabb and Matt Cassell. He is given a free pass for everything that happened while Childress was here, so I guess we are not allowed to mention Tarvaris Jackson.

@Bullazin said:
@Jor-El said:
@Bullazin said:

Really?? What context explains Bradford? The rest of the league knew his knee was about to fall apart by the time we traded for him. What context explains Cousins? I know he was supposedly a hot free agent, but I don't think anyone was bidding against us except the Jets. Oh boy, the mighty Jets also thought he was a top QB..

Even Bridgewater is hardly a slam-dunk, is he? He never established that he could put the team on his back before he got hurt, and he's not setting the world on fire with the Panthers (2 INTs today). My hunch is that Teddy will soon transition into a (beloved) career backup.

Spielman also brought in worthless has-beens like Donovan McNabb and Matt Cassell. He is given a free pass for everything that happened while Childress was here, so I guess we are not allowed to mention Tarvaris Jackson.

At the bold.. you forgot my all time fav... Josh Freeman

I think it was Spielman who gave up Bridgewater in favor of Cousins.
I think it was Spielman who blew up our defense.
I think it was Spielman who hired 2 former NFL head coaches to backup Zimmer.

What will the Wilfs do?

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
I think it was Spielman who gave up Bridgewater in favor of Cousins.
I think it was Spielman who blew up our defense.
I think it was Spielman who hired 2 former NFL head coaches to backup Zimmer.

What will the Wilfs do?
In all likelihood they'll do nothing, that's their m.o.  

Wait, I'm wrong.  They'll put out some p.r. about how they believe in their team, their so close to a title, they're so committed, blah blah blah.  And the fans will gobble it up like always.  Results on the field don't matter with these guys, the fans think they walk on water no matter how bad the team is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-teams-are-hiring-and-firing-coaches-more-quickly-the-results-are-not-great/amp/

Heres a pretty decent article. There is much more data out there on this. I get it, Emotions run high after losses, but well run orgs dont get rid of talent, they figure out where and how to improve.  Speilly and Zimmer are good talent, I apologize if that offends anyone. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-teams-are-hiring-and-firing-coaches-more-quickly-the-results-are-not-great/amp/

Heres a pretty decent article. There is much more data out there on this. I get it, Emotions run high after losses, but well run orgs dont get rid of talent, they figure out where and how to improve.  Speilly and Zimmer are good talent, I apologize if that offends anyone. 
There's a case for consistency. Some teams get the right guy and don't take too big of a hit switching things up, but you also risk retooling the roster and a significant rebuilding process. There's also a good chance that next off season will have many of the same restrictions as this year, which makes it harder to change things up. Maybe George Edwards was the secret all along?

But it's Zimmer's defense that's has been torched in big games since he's been here, and given up over 40 twice already this year. It's been Zimmer who has gone for it on 4th down at least 3 times this year unsuccessfully at critical points that were highly questionable. He's been notoriously bad at clock management his entire time as HC in tight games. Zimmer has been in my opinion more influential than anyone on our draft selections... (DB anyone?) It's Zimmer who decided what kind of offense he wants to see (the run setting up the pass with a 1980's style QB), while going living on the cheap with the o-line.

He hasn't proven to be a great HC. He still might be a decent D-coordinator if that's all he had to worry about.