Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NRA Silent On Castille
Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Settlement was a "go away" settlement.  Or is that what a person's life worth now?  3 million?  Settlements do not prove either side right... it just makes the case go away at the time...  ask Cosby. 
In some cases, it may be the right approach.  Nobody wins sometimes.  If this gets drug out, how much is spent on additional law enforcement because of unrest?  The cop reacted badly, so it isn't an open and shut case.  Insurance and legal probably advised this route was cheaper.

not to mention Castile was high, not a reason to shoot him,  but certainly would explain erratic or poor decision making by the deceased that could have directly led to his actions and ultimately his death in this situation.  (if he was stoned, legally he shouldnt have been carrying anyway)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
not to mention Castile was high, not a reason to shoot him,  but certainly would explain erratic or poor decision making by the deceased that could have directly led to his actions and ultimately his death in this situation.  (if he was stoned legally he shouldnt have been carrying anyway)

Exactly. If you have a carry you put away your firearm when you are under the influence. I am responsible and so are my friends that own hand guns.

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Settlement was a "go away" settlement.  Or is that what a person's life worth now?  3 million?  Settlements do not prove either side right... it just makes the case go away at the time...  ask Cosby. 
Quote: @greediron said:
@Bezerker88 said:
In some cases, it may be the right approach.  Nobody wins sometimes.  If this gets drug out, how much is spent on additional law enforcement because of unrest?  The cop reacted badly, so it isn't an open and shut case.  Insurance and legal probably advised this route was cheaper.
that is exactly what this settlement was,   this was about not having a long drawn out civil case where you have nightly protests and riots in the area,  this is about not having to hire high dollar lawyers to defend against high dollar lawyers that the civil rights groups were sure to hire for the Castile family.  This is about creating a sense of closure on this incident so other LEOs in the area dont become targets by those out to "right a wrong".

So, to summarize what I think we all believe: Nobody deserved to die, and this is a tragic situation. The cop was not prepared for this, and he'll have to live with the guilt of his mistakes for the rest of his life; However, he isn't evil and shouldn't be completely vilified. It's best that he finds a new career, and the family should be compensated in some way for their loss (personally, I think $3M is a little low, but it does help). Sound about right?

Quote: @Max said:
So, to summarize what I think we all believe: Nobody deserved to die, and this is a tragic situation. The cop was not prepared for this, and he'll have to live with the guilt of his mistakes for the rest of his life; However, he isn't evil and shouldn't be completely vilified. It's best that he finds a new career, and the family should be compensated in some way for their loss (personally, I think $3M is a little low, but it does help). Sound about right?

so how do you calculate the price of a human life?  

how much money was he making annually as a lunch room monitor?  $20-30,000 per year on the high end?  he was 32 years old IIRC so lets say he works another 30 years at that job on the high end he would have made less than a million dollars.  what else can you quantify with monetary value to say his life was worth more?

I could see the payout if it was truly a wrongful death situation,  but he was high, he was carrying a gun, and he didnt follow the cops instructions,  i really have a hard time with tax dollars to compensate people for things they or their kin caused. ( yes they said it wasnt tax dollars, but the city pays those premiums on the insurance some way and those premiums will likely increase after a monster pay out) 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Max said:

how much money was he making annually as a lunch room monitor?  $20-30,000 per year on the high end?  he was 32 years old IIRC so lets say he works another 30 years at that job on the high end he would have made less than a million dollars.  what else can you quantify with monetary value to say his life was worth more?

I could see the payout if it was truly a wrongful death situation,  but he was high, he was carrying a gun, and he didnt follow the cops instructions,  i really have a hard time with tax dollars to compensate people for things they or their kin caused. ( yes they said it wasnt tax dollars, but the city pays those premiums on the insurance some way and those premiums will likely increase after a monster pay out) 
I have no idea how to quantify the "cost" of a life in dollars. In my opinion, it is priceless. But, in the end... I think there was enough "fault" on the officer's fault (accidental, but still responsible) to warrant some compensation.

There is something seriously wrong with people who think this is Castille's fault. Jesus. Murder or manslaughter is a tough one because the lines are so often blurred for cops. But reckless endangerment, you bet. And I think Castille's family deserves every penny they get. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
There is something seriously wrong with people who think this is Castille's fault. Jesus. Murder or manslaughter is a tough one because the lines are so often blurred for cops. But reckless endangerment, you bet. And I think Castille's family deserves every penny they get. 
maybe its you that has something wrong... the cop told the stoned guy with a gun not to reach,  the guy reached.  what part of that is on the cop?

Quote: @Max said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Max said:

I have no idea how to quantify the "cost" of a life in dollars. In my opinion, it is priceless. But, in the end... I think there was enough "fault" on the officer's fault (accidental, but still responsible) to warrant some compensation.
thats maybe fair,  i just dont know how a family gets compensated 3 million for a death that the deceased was at least 50% IMO responsible for.  this was not an accidental shooting,  this was a matter of a impaired individual putting himself in harms way.  and how do they come up with 3 million?  will money make the loss more acceptable to the family?  I could maybe see the city compensating for loss of wages but....where did they come up with the 3 million figure is what confuses me.