Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adios NRA
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
conservation and responisble ownership is one thing

gun gluttony, influence, and irrationality is another 
What is gun gluttony?
I probably count as a gun glutton...  I have my Dad's single shot shotgun from the 1930's and three 12 gauge shotguns.  I graduated up in quality with my income so the older three sit in the gun cabinet.  My Benelli is a superb waterfowl gun.

Quote: @Skodin said:
there is an estiamated 392 million fire arms in this country

330 million people
57% dont own or live with someone who has a gun (conservative number, some place ownership at 25% of the pop)

so 165 million give or take own almost 400 million firearms. 

how many of the 165 million own 1 firearm for “protection” aka the number 1 reason why people say they need them?  hopefully the predomimant amount

but 7.7 million people or 3 of our population own HALF OF THE Firearms in america.  

That is gun gluttony.  That is not about self defense, it speaks to the mindset that some people want to be a well armed militia

Other than fear, whats the point?
I'm sure thats part of it, but plenty of others just like guns for their machinery, precision, collectability, beauty etc...

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:

What is gun gluttony?
I probably count as a gun glutton...  I have my Dad's single shot shotgun from the 1930's and three 12 gauge shotguns.  I graduated up in quality with my income so the older three sit in the gun cabinet.  My Benelli is a superb waterfowl gun.
I wouldnt consider that gun gluttony. Do you have the firearms as a response to a military rising in this country?  That your second amendment right gives you the ability to purchase the maximum allowable destructive firearm?  do you pushback against the limiting of magazine sizes?  do you push back against back ground checks and fight to keep the gunshow loopholes intact?

or as the NRA was quite ardent in, buying guns in a response to a school shooting, mass shooting, or change from republican to democratic leadership?  do you own guns out of irrational fear?  

doesnt sound like it

@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:

What is gun gluttony?
I think what Skodin might be referring to are the folks who don't hunt at all and maybe own a couple dozen handguns and automatic weapons.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:

What is gun gluttony?
I think what Skodin might be referring to are the folks who don't hunt at all and maybe own a couple dozen handguns and automatic weapons.
some people just enjoy shooting though,  they dont own them for hunting per-say, but they do enjoy sitting at a range and seeing how good they can be.  I have a neighbor who hasnt hunted in decades,  but he has a nice range set up,  owns about as many rifles as the US govt, and can be heard/seen shooting about every nice weekend, after which he strips them down, cleans then thoroughly and returns them to one of his many safes.  Him and his son both collect rifles and I would say between the two of them easily have over a half a million in guns, safes, and ammo.  Its a hobby and sport.  I know of a guy south of me that is the same way with pistols.  

automatic weapons are already illegal without special permits and the cost of the really makes them pretty expensive to own legally as it is.  I have a BIL that owns a fully automatic and I know between the permits, the gun, and the suppressor he has over 10k invested in it... but he enjoys shooting it from time to time,  nobody gets hurt.  the issue many gun owners have is the people speaking out against guns most often dont know what they are actually targeting with laws that really dont address the illegal guns and gun transfers.  They talk about automatics and then hold up a semi automatic as an example,  and as you know most semi-autos alone are not really much more deadly than any other gun.

I have never joined the NRA as I dont believe in the radical aspect of their membership,  and them championing certain causes,  but their going away will leave a void,  like all voids, sometimes those voids are filled by good things,  and sometimes the replacement is worse than what was there before.

there is an estiamated 392 million fire arms in this country

330 million people
57% dont own or live with someone who has a gun (conservative number, some place ownership at 25% of the pop)

so 165 million give or take own almost 400 million firearms. 

how many of the 165 million own 1 firearm for “protection” aka the number 1 reason why people say they need them?  hopefully the predomimant amount

but 7.7 million people or 3 of our population own HALF OF THE Firearms in america.  

That is gun gluttony.  That is not about self defense, it speaks to the mindset that some people want to be a well armed militia

Other than fear, whats the point?
hunting
sport shooting ( target competitions )
hobby-collections
family heirlooms

lots of reasons to owns guns besides wanting to be a militant group,  I would bet that % that own them for a dooms day scenario is far far fewer than most anti gun groups want us to believe.

guns are tools to most gun owners,  I have quite a few,  none of them are really fancy or overly spendy,  but I bought every single one with an intended purpose (except one,  I picked that up about 4 years ago when I was certain that Hillary was going to win and I was pretty certain that its future availability would be in question,  but I do intend to get it suppressed ((its is quite loud)) and then camo-ed for winter varmint control.)

point is its not about how many or anything like that,  its how a person intends to use the gun.  1 gun in the wrong persons hands is more dangerous than all of mine or my neighbors,  but the same can be said about many many other tools or items.  a nut job doesnt need a lot of guns to inflict a lot of hurt on people.

I already stated that gun ownership and personal responsibility are absolutely fine.   I have a pistol permit in NY, many family members do as well.  But those aren’t the people under discussion here, the ones who I consider to be gun gluttons.

We are discussing guns nuts and gun culture, who’s identity revolves their fire arms.  The clutch to your guns and bible culture.  You can say they aren’t the lions share of gun owners, I would agree with this.  It’s the mentality that’s worrying, spurred and fueled by the NRA.  One of the strongest lobbying groups in America, I am glad to see the dismantling of the NRA.  For the last couple of decades they have felt “under attack”, responses cloaked in their obsession with the 2nd amendment, stoking the flames of fear as if the government is going to take their guns for a defenseless society.  #1 as if that was actually going to happen and #2 as if your Bushmaster AR is going to stop a military from taking what they want.

I already stated that gun ownership and personal responsibility are absolutely fine.   I have a pistol permit in NY, many family members do as well.  But those aren’t the people under discussion here, the ones who I consider to be gun gluttons.

We are discussing guns nuts and gun culture, who’s identity revolves their fire arms.  The clutch to your guns and bible culture.  You can say they aren’t the lions share of gun owners, I would agree with this.  It’s the mentality that’s worrying, spurred and fueled by the NRA.  One of the strongest lobbying groups in America, I am glad to see the dismantling of the NRA.  For the last couple of decades they have felt “under attack”, responses cloaked in their obsession with the 2nd amendment, stoking the flames of fear as if the government is going to take their guns for a defenseless society.  #1 as if that was actually going to happen and #2 as if your Bushmaster AR is going to stop a military from taking what they want.
Almost everybody I know owns guns, in a state where gun ownership is so common that it hardly raises an eye to see citizens openly carrying in public,   I dont think I would classify any of them as that type.  I know they exist,  and I know we have them,  but they mostly want to be left alone and are hardly the threat they are made out to be IMO.  I dont like it when they show up at protests with guns as an intimidation tactic,  that makes no sense to me and usually end up wondering if they are really part of the protest, or an anti protest plant to make the group look like wingnuts,  but the laws and such havent been made to control their gun ownership,  the laws that have been made and proposed go after the rights of most all legal gun owners.  There could be common sense,  but the anti gun nuts are just as bad as the NRA has been  at times in their demands and efforts.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:

What is gun gluttony?
Right, my shotguns are the appropriate tool for the task of duck hunting.  The only group I belong to is Ducks Unlimited, not radical at all.

@MaroonBells said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:

What is gun gluttony?
Right, my shotguns are the appropriate tool for the task of duck hunting.  The only group I belong to is Ducks Unlimited, not radical at all.
Well,  except for on banquet night,  then all bets are off.