Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wish we had football instead of this to think about this fall...
Quote: @BigAl99 said:
It was modeled on British Parliament, House of commons and Lords. 

Somewhat...but our constitution is very different (from the Brit model) concerning the separation of powers, which is our most precious distinction/foundational stroke of brilliance, imo.  

Our constitution is more patterned after Natural Law/Rights/John Locke, than the "British Parliament" To wit: http://selfdeprecate.com/politics-articl...g-fathers/

Are you a constitutional scholar,  Oh Geeze

where does it outline this effective balance you reference? I know it's a legal term, not sure where it is in the constitution.  

"effective balance" is not in the constitution, per se; as it was a RESULT from compromise at the constitutional congress.  Known as the "Great Compromise".  https://www.history.com/news/how-the-gre...tics-today

There were 5 "great compromises" during the constitutional convention.  https://www.thoughtco.com/compromises-of...ion-105428
Thank God, or there would have never been a constitution or a Republic and ultimately no Estados Unidos.  

In this thread, you seem to have complained about two of those 5 key compromises...that if not for them...we would not be here today second-guessing them, as you seem to be.    
The Great Compromise (surprisingly...a compromise that originally diminished rural nascent America, and benefitted urban nascent America) . and the Electoral College Compromise.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I've heard this argument bubbling for weeks, but I've never understood what their point is. The Trump campaign's strategy behind it (to sew the seeds of doubt and the perception of fraud among the cult) is obvious. And I know there are people who still vote in person, because I've seen the lines, but it is a minority, isn't it? I haven't voted in person in, what, 15, 20 years? And suddenly I'm supposed to believe that voting by mail is less safe than voting in person? In a pandemic?
Colorado is one of 5 States that voted/planned for mail-in voting, for years.    Good for you. 

How do you expect the 45 other States to put mail=in (not to be confused with absentee) voting in about 90 days, and expect no issues?  

CBS Houston just trial-ballooned mail-in voting, to disastrous results. 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-vo...-election/ 

According to US News & World Report, New York  tried mail-in voting in a June election....and led to a huge mess. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...-confusion

(Please note, I quoted CBS news Houston and US News & World Report...not Breitbart) 

SFVF posted (in the BLM white guy thread) he would support an IQ test passage in order to vote.  
I agree!  

SFVF & I could reach across the aisle to law, if the voting requirement also (on top of IQ test) included that only voters eligible would be those that pay income tax, as well.   We could call it the "Great VF compromise!" 

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
Absolutely, but also very aware the framers meant the document to to be dynamic.  
Define dynamic. 

If by dynamic, you mean rarely changed (lol), I agree.  =)

How to Amend the Constitution (Link) 
Amending the Constitution was never meant to be simple. Although thousands of amendments have been discussed since the original document was approved in 1788, there are now only 27 amendments in the Constitution.

Though its framers knew the Constitution would have to be amended, they also knew it should never be amended frivolously or haphazardly. Clearly, their process for amending the Constitution has succeeded in meeting that goal.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
If the election isnt held I’ll be in favor of forcefully removing him from office. 
Me too.  

This makes me LOL-LMAO-ROFL.   Trump playing em, like a Strad.  

Who said this, last week?  "We have to be ready for the possibility Trump won't leave office" (upon potentially losing)
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/50723...wont-leave

HRC.  LOSER.  To both Obama and Trump.  (smartest woman, ever)

What better way to "tweak" absurdity...than to "agree" with absurdity, and tweet...."Let's delay election!"  LOL.  

How millions of liberal Americans can still be befuddled by Trump, is beyond me.  

A fellow liberal (Salena Zito, The Atlantic)  gave liberals  the correct  "Guide to Trump" years ago.  I posted it, for their benefit.  They ignored then, and still ignore now.  

Fun to watch.   

Federalist Society co-founder says Trump’s tweet about postponing the election is grounds for ‘immediate impeachment’
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/federalist-trump-tweet-election-delay-impeachment

Federalist Society co-founder Stephen Calabresi said that President Trump’s tweet suggesting to postpone the election is “fascistic” and “grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment.”
“Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats’ assertion that President Trump is a fascist,” Calabresi wrote in an op-ed for the New York Times. “But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate.”
Calabresi noted that he has voted Republican in every presidential election since 1980, including for Trump in 2016. He said he had defended the president against the Mueller investigation and against the impeachment investigation.
The Federalist Society is an influential conservative and libertarian organization that advocates for textualist and originalist interpretation of the Consitutiton.
“Election Day was fixed by a federal law passed in 1845, and the Constitution itself in the 20th Amendment specifies that the newly elected Congress meet at noon on Jan. 3, 2021, and that the terms of the president and vice president end at noon on Jan. 20, 2021.”

Calabresi called on every Republican in Congress to tell Trump he can’t postpone the election. Otherwise, he said they “should never be elected to Congress again.”...
...Trump, [who tweeted “ Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???]' when pressed on the charge, denied he had thoughts of delaying the election, saying, “[w]hy would I do that?”

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@BigAl99 said:
Absolutely, but also very aware the framers meant the document to to be dynamic.  
Define dynamic. 

If by dynamic, you mean rarely changed (lol), I agree.  =)

How to Amend the Constitution (Link) 
Amending the Constitution was never meant to be simple. Although thousands of amendments have been discussed since the original document was approved in 1788, there are now only 27 amendments in the Constitution.

Though its framers knew the Constitution would have to be amended, they also knew it should never be amended frivolously or haphazardly. Clearly, their process for amending the Constitution has succeeded in meeting that goal.

I don't have the time to go back through it but if you read essays by Madison, Jay, Hamilton and Jefferson.  Madison wanted a living document that grew and changed with the country and times, not a ridged set of rules but a framework for a dynamic country.  I believe it was Jefferson said the document should be revised every eight years.  Interesting reading this inspirational and hardly cut and dried binary rules.

Biden in April:
"Mark my words, I think he is gonna try to kick back the election somehow, come up with some rationale why it can’t be held.”

Right wing media mocks Biden: 
Washington Examiner: "He’ll seize power! He’ll postpone the election!”Jonathan Turley: "the ultimate conspiracy theory...little more than constitutional mythology, used for political advantage."
Henry Olsen: "This rhetoric is both unfounded and harmful to democracy. Nonetheless, Biden chose to taint the president essentially with a charge of treason.

Trump:
“With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history, It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???”

I wonder if Henry Olsen still thinks its treason...

Federalist Society co-founder says Trump’s tweet about postponing the election is grounds for ‘immediate impeachment’
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/federalist-trump-tweet-election-delay-impeachment

Federalist Society co-founder Stephen Calabresi said that President Trump’s tweet suggesting to postpone the election is “fascistic” and “grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment.”
“Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats’ assertion that President Trump is a fascist,” Calabresi wrote in an op-ed for the New York Times. “But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate.”
Calabresi noted that he has voted Republican in every presidential election since 1980, including for Trump in 2016. He said he had defended the president against the Mueller investigation and against the impeachment investigation.
The Federalist Society is an influential conservative and libertarian organization that advocates for textualist and originalist interpretation of the Consitutiton.
“Election Day was fixed by a federal law passed in 1845, and the Constitution itself in the 20th Amendment specifies that the newly elected Congress meet at noon on Jan. 3, 2021, and that the terms of the president and vice president end at noon on Jan. 20, 2021.”

Calabresi called on every Republican in Congress to tell Trump he can’t postpone the election. Otherwise, he said they “should never be elected to Congress again.”...
...Trump, [who tweeted “ Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???]' when pressed on the charge, denied he had thoughts of delaying the election, saying, “[w]hy would I do that?”

Hasn't everything been grounds for impeachment with you guys?  Heck, the ladies knitted pussy hats and called for his impeachment before he even took office.  Give it a rest.  There's 5 months left. 

If he looses the election that will be held 11/3/20 and doesn't vacate the office on 1/20/21 I'll be there exercising my 2nd amendment rights, right with you. I'll safely assume many many many more people would be also. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:

Hasn't everything been grounds for impeachment with you guys?  
What to you mean "you guys." This was written by a man who not only voted for Trump, but defended him against both the Mueller investigation and the impeachment investigation. 

And, yes, this conman should've been impeached and removed from office long ago. We should ALL want this. That there is still a section of America who defend him at every turn is, frankly, disgusting. 

As the National Review said this week: “What is the Republican Party, and what does it wish to be: the Party of Lincoln; or the Party of Donald Trump, Roger Stone, Fox News, “deep state” kookery, etc.? It is going to have to pick one, because it cannot be both of those things at the same time.”

@AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:

Hasn't everything been grounds for impeachment with you guys?  
What to you mean "you guys." This was written by a man who not only voted for Trump, but defended him against both the Mueller investigation and the impeachment investigation. 

And, yes, this conman should've been impeached and removed from office long ago. We should ALL want this. That there is still a section of America who defend him at every turn is, frankly, disgusting. 

As the National Review said this week: “What is the Republican Party, and what does it wish to be: the Party of Lincoln; or the Party of Donald Trump, Roger Stone, Fox News, “deep state” kookery, etc.? It is going to have to pick one, because it cannot be both of those things at the same time.”

why do you assume that those that are not democrat and dont condemn trumps every act are republican?  I know a lot of people that dont care for the actions of the republicans all that much ( myself included) ,  but still prefer what Trump wants over the direction the democrat party candidates/ring leaders are pushing for.