Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: White privilege
Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
Interesting article on racism by Joe Thomas. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/joe-thomas-systemic-racism-nfl

Racism is a deep and enduring pain in the black community, but the problem is rooted in the white community. And being “not racist” is simply not good enough. In the football world, when something is going wrong with a team, there’s a saying that goes, “You’re either coaching it, or allowing it, and both are a problem.” When it comes to racial bias in America, I believe that it’s pretty much the same thing: You’re either prejudiced, or you’re allowing prejudice to exist — and both are a problem.
We cannot just be nonracist. We really do need to be antiracist.

So if we treat all people with respect and kindness, are we anti-racist?  Or do we have to see in color and promote division so we can signal that we are anti-racist?

It is so refreshing to have us white folk debate this, and cherry pick
what we critique.

Man I wish we could do this live with someone not like us, someone with authority, passion and a physical presence that get some rational attention to the real issues, not parsing word and debating context.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

Racism is a deep and enduring pain in the black community, but the problem is rooted in the white community. And being “not racist” is simply not good enough. In the football world, when something is going wrong with a team, there’s a saying that goes, “You’re either coaching it, or allowing it, and both are a problem.” When it comes to racial bias in America, I believe that it’s pretty much the same thing: You’re either prejudiced, or you’re allowing prejudice to exist — and both are a problem.

So if we treat all people with respect and kindness, are we anti-racist?  Or do we have to see in color and promote division so we can signal that we are anti-racist?

what we critique.

Man I wish we could do this live with someone not like us, someone with authority, passion and a physical presence that get some rational attention to the real issues, not parsing word and debating context.

so if a person of color were to agree with Greeds perspecitve... would you accept it or would there be a reason to dismiss his/hers non white perspective?

its been my experience that there are plenty of black, brown, red, and yellow skinned people that share that same feelings, not all,  but plenty.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

what we critique.

so if a person of color were to agree with Greeds perspecitve... would you accept it or would there be a reason to dismiss his/hers non white perspective?

its been my experience that there are plenty of black, brown, red, and yellow skinned people that share that same feelings, not all,  but plenty.

So your saying if you can find "a person" of color, that will validate everything.  Sorry bigger world out there, and my opinion, you just ain't getting that you need to listen yo more than what your looking for. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

what we critique.

So your saying if you can find "a person" of color, that will validate everything.  Sorry bigger world out there, and my opinion, you just ain't getting that you need to listen yo more than what your looking for. 
nope, you are the one thinking that a lack of pigment in our skins makes the position irrational,  even if it is shared by others of darker tone.

Im so glad I was born into untold privilage and wealth. Havent worked for anything in my whole life. 

That's clearly a thread about female privilege more than it is about white privilege, as female privilege is more dominant than racial privilege regarding crime and police.  Although being a white woman, she's benefiting from both.
I think privilege is a valuable talking point when discussing things at a societal level, where things are statistically based using large groups, so we can see the big picture.  I don't think it should ever be used with relation to individual instances, because there's far too many variables going on.  I do think there needs to be more understanding of how strong the privilege of having both parents active in your life or the privilege of being born into a wealthy family/neighborhood factor into the deal.  I think that would help put a lot of things into perspective.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Im so glad I was born into untold privilage and wealth. Havent worked for anything in my whole life. 
Thanks for the daily reminder you have once again missed the point and still have no understanding of racism and white priviledge.  I almost had hope you may have learned something by now, but nope.  

Carry on with your strawman argument.  

@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

what we critique.

So Joe Thomas saying that white people are racist or allowing racism to exist is a valid stance, but my stance is not valid? 

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@AGRforever said:
Thanks for the daily reminder you have once again missed the point and still have no understanding of racism and white priviledge.  I almost had hope you may have learned something by now, but nope.  

Carry on with your strawman argument.  
I also don't have an understanding of unicorns or Atlantis.  I think it's because none of those things (other than racism) exist.  Let' s be honest, there are all kinds of facts and statistics that can explain why things happen the way that they do.  But, since those facts are "inconvenient", no one is willing to deal with the real problems facing the black community.  But liberals don't like facts; they like stories- which is all the original twitter thread was.

Meanwhile, I posted an article written by a black man and asked people to read it... and- to the best of my knowledge- no one has.  I guess "listening" only works one way... kind of like "tolerance".

By the way, since you're the "expert" on these things, why don't you explain it to the rest of us?

I feel privileged that Google play felt me worthy of putting Juneteenth on my calendar. Now I had to Google what Google added. So how will you celebrate?