Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trent Williams: Vikings didn’t “synch up,” with 49ers preferred destination
Quote: @HappyViking said:
If the Vikings really, really wanted him, they would've made it work.  I think they wanted him only at the price they were willing spend. 
Yeah, everyone seems to think it's about the contract. And that probably played a part. But I have a hunch it was just as much about Ezra Cleveland. 

I think if the Vikings had a tackle fall to them in the 1st they would've taken him and promptly cut off trade talks with TW. In the 2nd, they tried trading up for Cleveland, but could find no takers. During that time, Spielman was talking contract with Williams and trade terms with Washington. I don't know how close they got, but when Cleveland started to fall, Spielman put the trade on hold to see if he would fall all the way to #58. He did and that's when they dropped out. 

I think this is mostly just BS from Williams camp.  I wouldn’t trust anything that came out of
his mouth.  I think he was probably fine
coming to Minnesota if the money was massive. 
I’m guessing no one wanted to give him massive money, because of his age
and sitting last year out, so he wanted a one year prove it deal at a place
where he’s most likely to look good, and SF is just better on offense.  He will most likely look better there than he
would here, and be more likely to get that big contract.  I think it was one of those situations where you
lie by twisting the words.  He never explicitly refused the trade with us,
but by rejecting our long term contract offers, it basically made it impossible
for us to trade for him. Also, I don’t think it would have worked for us, to trade
him for only a single season before he hits the FA market and goes to SF
anyway.
I don’t think it has anything to do with Cleveland.  I think this fell through, and then we went
and got our OT.  If Williams was on
board, we would have drafted a DT, OG or something else.  I don’t think there was ever going to be a
point in the draft where Vikings officials were working a contract extension
with Williams 20 minutes before our pick, cutting Rieff to make cap room and we
backed out because of who dropped to us.

Yes, but do you think Trent is....Better Than Ezra?

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Yes, but do you think Trent is....Better Than Ezra?
Good tune!
Yes, Trent is a better player, but not better for the payroll.  It's a risk, but I like the Vikings choice.

Oh well whatever.