Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better hope Dru Samia is ready to step up.....
Anyone have thoughts on Sternberg from Kentucky?

Stenberg was deemed a three-star prospect by all four major recruiting services. Hailing from Madison, Alabama, Stenberg wasn’t even offered by Auburn or Alabama. In fact, Kentucky was his only Power-5 offer at the time of recruitment.

Stenberg credits his three older brothers for fueling his competitive edge. When asked to provide one word to describe himself on the football field, Stenberg chose “nasty,” and we couldn’t agree more. Teammate Drake Jackson went so far as to call Stenberg the most hated offensive lineman in the SEC.

Stenberg has been Kentucky’s starter at left guard for each of the past three years. He started by showing dominance in the run game, recording a 78.8 run-blocking grade in his 2016 redshirt freshman season — in which he played a part-time role — but it took several seasons until the pass protection came along with it. Stenberg raised his pass-blocking grade from 63.6 in 2016 and 63.0 in 2017 to 76.2 in 2018 and, finally, 82.8 this past season. He allowed just one quarterback pressure across 262 pass-blocking snaps all season — the lowest rate of any guard in the class.

Positives
  • He’s so under control in pass sets. He lets the defensive tackle tip their hand and then attacks.
  • He’s got a great feel for the strike zone. His hands almost always get inside positioning.
  • Plays to and after the whistle, snap after snap.
  • Ideal guard size at 6-foot-6, 322 pounds. He can still move well at that size, too.
  • Never met a block he didn’t to finish in the turf.
Negatives
  • Good but not great grades until his redshirt senior year.
  • Penalties are a massive problem. He’s drawn 24 flags over the last two seasons.
  • Can get out of control when pulling or climbing to the second level.
  • Kentucky almost never passed this past season. So he doesn’t have very many true pass sets on his resume.
Round Projection
Third round

Bottom Line
You don’t get called the SEC’s most disliked player without some serious nastiness to your game. Stenberg has the type of mentality that the position requires, and it will surely serve him well in the NFL.

Also what about the oft-injured monster Muti, would anyone risk 58,89 or 105?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
The guards left for a zone scheme are bleh. Cush is way to lead footed and he's the highest rated OG left on the board....way down the board. 
It's not Samia I'm worried about. It's the left guard.

I think you're missing a lot of the tackles who project to guard...Robert Hunt, Ben Bartch, Akeem Adeniji, Danny Pinter. And the centers who can play guard...Matt Hennessy, Cushenberry
And Josh Jones who could bump inside and probably be a really good LG, but has the traits to also play LT.
Oh definitely. But I don't expect he'll be around much longer. Same with Ezra. Actually, I think that's the ideal if we can't swing the Williams trade. You'd have Reiff at LT, draft a LT, play him at LG for a year and move him outside when Reiff leaves.
I think he could go quickly tonight...  I think that is why there are reports about the Vikings looking to be aggressive today.  They may be looking to get up there for Jones or Cleveland if they can't get Washington to budge off their asking price for Trent Williams.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
The guards left for a zone scheme are bleh. Cush is way to lead footed and he's the highest rated OG left on the board....way down the board. 
It's not Samia I'm worried about. It's the left guard.

I think you're missing a lot of the tackles who project to guard...Robert Hunt, Ben Bartch, Akeem Adeniji, Danny Pinter. And the centers who can play guard...Matt Hennessy, Cushenberry
And Josh Jones who could bump inside and probably be a really good LG, but has the traits to also play LT.
Oh definitely. But I don't expect he'll be around much longer. Same with Ezra. Actually, I think that's the ideal if we can't swing the Williams trade. You'd have Reiff at LT, draft a LT, play him at LG for a year and move him outside when Reiff leaves.
I think he could go quickly tonight...  I think that is why there are reports about the Vikings looking to be aggressive today.  They may be looking to get up there for Jones or Cleveland if they can't get Washington to budge off their asking price for Trent Williams.
Or Williams' salary demands...might be a little too rich for the Vikings' wallet.