Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freeman Mock
Quote: @FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wouldn't complain about that draft. 
I would. No Receiver will replace Diggs next year, that's just a fact. If Minnesota has Aiyuk as one of the Top 3 WRs then fine. I have him tied at the top of the Tier 2 guys, none of whom I'd spend a 1st on.

But CB for a team that was in Zone 77% of the time last year is a waste of a 1st. I'd pick Cleveland or Ruiz before a Zone Corner.
Agreed.  OL is far more a pressing need than WR at 22.  Don't mind a CB but with the WR talent this year, getting a road grader who can protect is more important, IMHO.

If you guys think they were only playing Zone because their Man Corners sucked then riddle me why Zimmer hired a guy from a Cover 3 background to coach his new 1st Round CB to play Man at the NFL level?

Some folks act like Cover 3 is the worst. The Ravens Elite Defense was Cover 3 based. As were all of Rex Ryan's Ryan's Defenses. The Broncos D. The Legion of Boom. Tampa Bay was Cover 2.

You need good Players period, regardless of position, to be Elite in any system. And Cover 3 is no different. But how many of those Elite Defenses that were Zone based had two 1st Round picks at Corner?

Minnesota has a 1st Round pick with some experience playing Zone. They have a UDFA that can play Man who should have been a 3rd Round pick. They can add a veteran. And a mid-round pick and a late round pick. And UDFAs. And they have Boyd and Sayles developing. 

You know what all those Elite Defenses that played Zone had? Killer pass rushes. Minnesota does not. They need a 3T and a rotational DE. 

They also need to continue the O-Line overhaul. Especially for a team that is run-first. Which helps keep the Defense off the field.

If I'm playing Man as a majority of my snaps, or even 50/50 Zone, I take Corners high every year. Because the kids that profile as good Man Corners go early and often. When I'm so heavily Zone based I can develop mid-round Rounds guys, add cheaper vets who won't command as much $$$ since they aren't sticky Man CBs and look to develop the next cerebral, not-so-great athletically Corner like some dude named Richard Sherman......

The Vikings seriously need to take some of that draft capital and go get Yannick Ngakoue. If you want to find a difference maker that will make your young corners better, it’s this guy. Who wants to face Hunter in one side and Ngakoue on the other? All I can say is have fun planning for those two opposing o coordinators

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wouldn't complain about that draft. 
I would. No Receiver will replace Diggs next year, that's just a fact. If Minnesota has Aiyuk as one of the Top 3 WRs then fine. I have him tied at the top of the Tier 2 guys, none of whom I'd spend a 1st on.

But CB for a team that was in Zone 77% of the time last year is a waste of a 1st. I'd pick Cleveland or Ruiz before a Zone Corner.
Agreed. I still like waiting for WR and CB until after the 1st and taking Oline and Dline. 

I still have Gross-Matos at #22 and Cleveland at #25 if we can't move down a little. I think Patterson could mold Gross-Matos into a Pro Bowl DE to rotate in with Odenigbo. Cleveland at #25 is a little bit of premium, but I think the 5 top rated tackles will all be gone by #22 and I don't want to risk what we be leftover at #58.