Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Jackson
I think he is a consideration at #25 but wouldn't be my top choice by any means. He wins with athleticism which has its own value, but he needs so much technical refinement to win in the NFL. NFL teams will like the fact that he projects at OT and there isn't a question on "if" he can play on the left side. He's fits the profile of a guy that'll get over drafted due to his potential and be labeled a "bust" since he isn't a day 1 impact player. 

Personally I would check out Isaiah Wilson in round 2. He needs more technical refinement but has a similar upside. Just trade a bit of Jackson's athleticism for power. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I think he is a consideration at #25 but wouldn't be my top choice by any means. He wins with athleticism which has its own value, but he needs so much technical refinement to win in the NFL. NFL teams will like the fact that he projects at OT and there isn't a question on "if" he can play on the left side. He's fits the profile of a guy that'll get over drafted due to his potential and be labeled a "bust" since he isn't a day 1 impact player. 

Personally I would check out Isaiah Wilson in round 2. He needs more technical refinement but has a similar upside. Just trade a bit of Jackson's athleticism for power. 
after watching our run game (and pass pro) have no power for too long... power sounds good to me!  its nice to have OL that can get out on sweeps and move their feet to keep up with opposing athletic pass rushers,  but damn it gets hard to see those guys just get knocked on their ass all season by a bull rush with a strong rip or punch.   its crazy that our OTs seem to be stouter than our interior guys who are typically going against the more powerful players on the DL.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I hear USC and red flags go up for me.   I know that there have been some damn fine players come from the U of spoiled children,  but it seems like some of the biggest busts come from there as well.
Not everybody that goes to USC is spoiled.  I grew up on public assistance because biological did not bother.  My brother went to USC on a scholarship.  He was in the band.  Still had no money besides what he worked for.

A lot of the football players likely come from nothing too.

At #25, the best player is likely to be a safety. 

Getting Delpit, McKinney, or maybe even Winfield there would make a ton of sense especially with the likelihood of Harris wanting too much cotton.

I am usually mocking a safety in round 1.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
At #25, the best player is likely to be a safety. 

Getting Delpit, McKinney, or maybe even Winfield there would make a ton of sense especially with the likelihood of Harris wanting too much cotton.

I am usually mocking a safety in round 1.
I would not be opposed to safety there, but I think the better value might be corner. With Henderson, Fulton, Gladney, Diggs all looking like picks in the 20 to 30 range. I think 25 is too early for AWJ. 

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I hear USC and red flags go up for me.   I know that there have been some damn fine players come from the U of spoiled children,  but it seems like some of the biggest busts come from there as well.
Not everybody that goes to USC is spoiled.  I grew up on public assistance because biological did not bother.  My brother went to USC on a scholarship.  He was in the band.  Still had no money besides what he worked for.

A lot of the football players likely come from nothing too.
I have heard USC referred to that way for years.  It was a joke,  sorry if it struck a nerve.  by the way,  rich or poor doesnt determine whether a child gets spoiled or not,  some of the worst spoiled kids I have met come from a poor home,  just that their parents and grandparents managed their money poorly.   as far as your brother,  good for him,  we are not defined by where we come from.

Daniel Jeremiah has Jackson up to 27 in his latest Top 50 Prospects Rankins, well ahead of Jones from Houston. Just saying....

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Daniel Jeremiah has Jackson up to 27 in his latest Top 50 Prospects Rankins, well ahead of Jones from Houston. Just saying....
I've seen a few that have him in the top 20. His athletic profile screams big upside. But Matt Kalil's profile screamed franchise left tackle (he was a top 5 pick for goodness sake). And I bought into it despite the fact that my gut told me he got beat too much at USC. I don't think he gave up a sack and that kind of stat weighs heavy in evals, but if you watched him, you saw him get beat plenty and that his QB (Matt Barkeley) was the biggest reason it didn't cost him. Ever since then I've learned to trust my gut. Even if it tells me something batshit crazy like Laquon Treadwell can't play or that George Kittle might just be a better tight end than OJ Howard. 

Long way to go. When I get a chance to watch more, I might change my mind on Jackson. 

Watch the YouTube video of him vs. Epenesa done by a couple of Giants podcasters.

FWIW, Paul Alexander, a former OL coach, thought it you need a LT a year from now, take Jackson. If you need one now, take Jones.

Personally, I'm hung up on trading out and gathering more picks...Reiff gets a redo, and we grab a G in the second to replace Elf.