Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Capers presence = good things for Barr??
I have to think/hope/pray that this is job #1 for Capers and that thing on his head. Massively underutilized in getting after the QB.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
A lot depends on what they do with EG...

Leber was saying on the radio his presence would be sorely missed.

Not from just a stats perspective, but there are too many players on this defense who aren't fiery, leader types. Lots of quiet guys on that side of the ball. 

I think he's spot on too...They're elite athletes over there, but they have caved in the biggest moments over the years.

I think there is absolutely a lack of leadership from the players over there. 
You might be onto something there. Barr, Hunter, and Harry especially seem to be very quiet, non-leader types. 

I guess being a vocal, leader-type of player involves being a little bit crazy... Wink

The crazy guys are often on a solo kamikaze mission, and that's been Griffen's style. IMO this team should be looking to Eric Kendricks as its leader.

Leber's take just sounds like a recent vet defending an aging vet (and Griffen happens to be the last remaining Viking Leber played alongside, possibly his best contact on the team). Most NFL players, unless they are elite athletes who quit while still dominant, spend their last few seasons making the argument that their wisdom and experience outweigh their fading physical skills. That tends to be their attitude when they step to the broadcast booth, too.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Ralphie said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Not from just a stats perspective, but there are too many players on this defense who aren't fiery, leader types. Lots of quiet guys on that side of the ball. 

I think he's spot on too...They're elite athletes over there, but they have caved in the biggest moments over the years.

You might be onto something there. Barr, Hunter, and Harry especially seem to be very quiet, non-leader types. 

I guess being a vocal, leader-type of player involves being a little bit crazy... Wink

The crazy guys are often on a solo kamikaze mission, and that's been Griffen's style. IMO this team should be looking to Eric Kendricks as its leader.

Leber's take just sounds like a recent vet defending an aging vet (and Griffen happens to be the last remaining Viking Leber played alongside, possibly his best contact on the team). Most NFL players, unless they are elite athletes who quit while still dominant, spend their last few seasons making the argument that their wisdom and experience outweigh their fading physical skills. That tends to be their attitude when they step to the broadcast booth, too.
I know what you mean, but I didnt get that vibe listening to him...

I do think there is lack of leadership, identity, some moxie on that D. Is that a major reason for them falling short in big moments? I dont think so - but as the team looks to improve, getting some attitude over there aint a bad thing, but its certainly not a silver bullet. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Ralphie said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Have you missed the on field rallies/pregame etc.  Its Griff leading them on defense. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Jor-El said:
@Ralphie said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I know what you mean, but I didnt get that vibe listening to him...

I do think there is lack of leadership, identity, some moxie on that D. Is that a major reason for them falling short in big moments? I dont think so - but as the team looks to improve, getting some attitude over there aint a bad thing, but its certainly not a silver bullet. 
there is a ton to be said for a calming presence in tense situations or at the very least a personality that will loosen sphincters in the huddle.  I think BRob was that guy and that was sorely missed the last couple years.  Griff is a volcano of excitement and energy,  but often uncontrolled/unchecked to a detriment.   They need somebody over there that can read a room and know when to crank it up and when to crack a fart (think Favre)