Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF grades the QBs in 2019.
Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Despite what's going to in the secondary, we really need to focus on the O line if we are going to maximize our investment.
I agree. I'd even sacrifice Harris for a couple of good moves on the o-line. Here's a dream...

LT- Trent Williams (trade D3)
LG - Tristan Wirfs (D1)
C - Garrett Bradbury 
RG - Josh Kline (or Samia)
RT - Brian O'Neill
I agree on addressing the OL. Not trying to be mean but there is a very slim chance on getting Trent Williams AND Tristan Wirfs. I believe we would have to trade up to take Wirfs which would mean we would lose a pick that would potentially be included in the Trent Williams trade. I'd really like to make a run at Scherffs and then address Reiff however we deem necessary. 
I did say it was a dream. I'm also not convinced that Wirfs is a high 1st rounder. You don't like Wirfs there then draft Jones or PTW, put them at LG. Or Harris. Or Muti. Or Biadasz. You see my point. 
As a Hawkeye, Tristan Wirfs is a bad man. Kid was a heck of an athlete in high school as well, which included multiple shot put and discus championships, plus a state wrestling championship his senior year. I think he tears it up at the combine and is a lock for a top 10 pick. I'm also not so certain that the Vikes dont trade up in the draft. Wishful thinking
It would take the Vikes 1st,2nd,and 3rd round picks to move up to 10 to get words.  No way Rick pays that premium for a OG....and he shouldn't with as many other holes as this roster has.

I mostly agree with you Jimmy, but Wirfs is a Tackle. I wouldnt be surprised if the Vikes trade up to around 15 depending on if a guy they like falls there. 

Rick rarely trades up on d-day, he trades down and DOMINATES THE 7th ROUND!!! B)

I’m all in on continuing to build the OLine.  It’s the shortest path to building a robust
team.  I know we’re a zone team, but if
they can find someone who’s beefy but relatively fast at LG I think that would go
a long way to giving us competency at multiple offensive strategies over a guy
who’s a lightweight speed guy. 

Quote: @comet52 said:
Rick rarely trades up on d-day, he trades down and DOMINATES THE 7th ROUND!!! B)
He traded back into the first round to get both Harrison Smith and Teddy and traded up to get Cook, so he has definitely made some pretty significant moves to trade up when there is a player there he really wants.  

Quote: @comet52 said:
I know everyone complains when we trade down for 7th rounders. But after hitting on Bisi, Odenigbo, Kearse, Weatherly, and Stephen in the 7th round, it might be time to stop. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
I know everyone complains when we trade down for 7th rounders. But after hitting on Bisi, Odenigbo, Kearse, Weatherly, and Stephen in the 7th round, it might be time to stop. 
Plus, it helps you with UDFA as you can get them on a rookie pay scale and you don't have to get into a bidding war. Especially with a team that has to save cap. Trade down and that is how you save money as well. Just a thought on my part and you can tell me I am wrong. It's cool. 

Quote: @Canthony said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
Plus, it helps you with UDFA as you can get them on a rookie pay scale and you don't have to get into a bidding war. Especially with a team that has to save cap. Trade down and that is how you save money as well. Just a thought on my part and you can tell me I am wrong. It's cool. 
I don't think it's about money as much as it's about analytics and recognizing tiers in the draft. If, for example, there is a cluster of players between 75 and 100 that you have even grades on, you might as well trade down in that area and pick up a few more rolls of the dice. 

I hope they quit taking special teams LBs with the 5th pick. Waste.

Quote: @kmillard said:
I hope they quit taking special teams LBs with the 5th pick. Waste.
Brothers, Downs, Smith. Imagine if they had to start in place of Barr or Kendricks. And the low round O-Line picks certainly didn't wow anyone until Udoh.

There's context here. For one, Rick has picked more in the late rounds than anyone else. Last stat I saw it was by a decent margin. So he's gotten more chances to hit. And his hits haven't been across all positions. O-Line, DTs (depending on Watts), LBs, TEs, all misses. The hits have been DE, WR, S and CB. 

It's weird cuz we're talking 2 DEs that could easily have been 4 if Bower wasn't always hurt and what happened with Aruna? Diggs, Thielen,  Bisi. Harris and Kearse. Hill and hopefully Boyd. They've clearly got their profile down to a T for those roles but not the others.

Imagine if Rick had hit on a LG or 3T already. This would be a very different offseason. Now, I think he needs to spend a high pick on each position. CB too, probably. But by the middle rounds I'll be ok with the slew of trade downs because for the most part it's working. And the team needs more depth at the spots he's hit on like DE, WR and Safety.

This is such an interesting Draft. He's got some glaring holes to fill. The Tackle Class is top heavy and he might see a run before #25. Does he trade up? The Guard Class doesn't have the top end talent of the last few years but is deep at the 2nd Tier and he can find real value in the 2nd or 3rd. Or grab a Center and move him over. 3T has talent early but I doubt he can find a Starter outside of the first or second rounds. CB is a little thin at the top but has good value in the 2nd and 3rd.

I'd almost be shocked to see Rick sit still. Just have a feeling he'll move up and down as the runs happen in the value spots. Get your popcorn ready!