Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning over a new Reiff
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
If the 2019 draft proved anything, they value O-line positions evenly. Some teams would never pass of an OT for an interior O-lineman. Timing also will come into play since they won't be able to get a good feel for how the draft board will fall until post-FA. That gives Reiff some leverage when it comes to a renegotiated contract. His deal also isn't conducive to a bonus restructure. The leverage MN has is the pre-FA negotiation period where they could conceivably see what else is available. 

I also wouldn't put it past them to move up the board for an OT. They've done a ton of work on Iowa this past season and I imagine it was focused more on Wirf's than Epenesa. 
Isn't or hasn't Wirfs been a RT? What would give and who would move to the LT spot then?

Quote: @Canthony said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
If the 2019 draft proved anything, they value O-line positions evenly. Some teams would never pass of an OT for an interior O-lineman. Timing also will come into play since they won't be able to get a good feel for how the draft board will fall until post-FA. That gives Reiff some leverage when it comes to a renegotiated contract. His deal also isn't conducive to a bonus restructure. The leverage MN has is the pre-FA negotiation period where they could conceivably see what else is available. 

I also wouldn't put it past them to move up the board for an OT. They've done a ton of work on Iowa this past season and I imagine it was focused more on Wirf's than Epenesa. 
Isn't or hasn't Wirfs been a RT? What would give and who would move to the LT spot then?
Like many Iowa O-lineman he really has a lot of functionality to move anywhere but center. I'd say in the Vikings case they'd likely experiment with both Wirf's and O'Neill at RT/LT to see which combination they like better. That's with the assumption Reiff isn't on the roster in 2020. If he were to stick around they could play with either Reiff or Wirf's at LG as well. But I'm not a fan of developing rookie lineman on the interior if you have plans for them at OT. Let them fail at OT first before bumping them inside. 

Since the question is probably coming, I'd leave O'Neill at RT. Going into 2019 I would have said that it probably made sense to transition him to LT in 2020. He played so well at RT this season its probably risky to mess with that. 

it would likely cost us our 2nd and 3rd round picks to get all the way up to where Wirfs is being projected by some.   I dont see Rick spending that kind of capital on an offensive lineman.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
it would likely cost us our 2nd and 3rd round picks to get all the way up to where Wirfs is being projected by some.   I dont see Rick spending that kind of capital on an offensive lineman.
I've seen him in the 2nd round, too. Sounds like most are projecting him to guard in the NFL. But I agree with Geoff. You probably let him fail at tackle before you move him.

I have read that the Cards & the Browns are interested in Wirfs.
Cards have the #8 pick I think and Browns # 10.
Will be interesting to see where he ends up going.

Quote: @Norse said:
I have read that the Cards & the Browns are interested in Wirfs.
Cards have the #8 pick I think and Browns # 10.
Will be interesting to see where he ends up going.
I've seen him to the browns at 10 in a few mocks

Since O'Neill played some LT at Pittsburgh, is the transition going to be that difficult?

Quote: @kmillard said:
for whatever reason Hill seems to look ok when he plays LT
seems like his long arms can work well on speed rushers but he loses effectiveness against strength on RT. Long arms but weak chest, once he loses his edge with arm length it becomes a grab bag performance 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
it would be interesting to see if Kirk is more adaptive to frontside pressure cause we all know he curls up when touched from the blindside.  Moving Oneill to LT and rolling with Hill or Udoh/draft pick may be a way for us to sign an impact G if they can be at all serviceable. 

I saw somewhere that Elflein was the 12th ranked run blocking G, maybe one more year of growth gets him to average in pass pro? one can dream
Watching Elflein get pushed around was painful to watch. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Since O'Neill played some LT at Pittsburgh, is the transition going to be that difficult?
Short answer, it shouldn't be a difficult transition. Long answer, NFL OT tackle play is so technical compared to the college level and you'd take everything O'Neill's learned and ask him to do it left-handed. Some guys are great and can do that seamlessly. Others it is more of a struggle and you end up stunting their development since they're constantly in catch-up mode. Coming out of Pitt O'Neill was more of an athletic talent and his upside was all based on projection. He's developed a lot at RT so I'm not necessarily sure how applicable his LT play in college will be.