Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brownies meeting w/Stefanski today...
So imagine if the browns announce shortly before game time that they hired Saleh...would that derail Ski or inspire him?  Or vice versa?  Its going to be enough of a story that they are opposing each the day the job gets announced.

Maybe the brownies should just say winner gets the gig.

I honestly have doubts that McDaniels even wants the job.

Quote: @greediron said:
@medaille said:
@pumpf said:
I hate it.  They ought to make a rule forbidding EVERY team from filling their HC job until after the Super Bowl.  MAYBE that way, we might be able to hear something about the playoffs when we turn on the TV / radio... instead of just hearing about who the Cowboys hired.

For Steph's sake, I hope they give the job to someone else.  He deserves better than that.  Plus, I would love to see him be motivated even more this Saturday (when they give it to someone else).
Me too.  It’s just
such a buzzkill having so much of the news cycle dedicated to all the shitty
teams and them trying to fix their problems when we should be celebrating the
teams that are doing well.  Coaches
shouldn’t be thinking about their promotions at the same time as their duties
in a playoff hunt.  I also don’t like the
idea that teams are firing coaches earlier and earlier into the season in order
to try and get a leg up on that hot new coach that they want to hire that
everyone else also wants to hire and I don’t like the idea that teams that are
looking for coaches are kind of forced to make a choice in hiring the best
coach that’s available now, or waiting for one from a playoff contender,
getting a verbal agreement and hoping they don’t change their mind after the
playoffs.

Everything would be cleaned up so much if they just shut off
the hiring of all coaches and the interviewing of currently employed coaches during
the playoffs.  After the SB is done
everyone gets a week or two to interview, and then teams are allowed to hire
coaches again.

I do agree that it sucks.  I liked the old way better, they could interview during a bye week, or after they were done with the playoffs.
But the problem with forcing them to wait is that the teams that didn't fire their coaches have a head start on the offseason.  Now that isn't insurmountable as the playoff teams are also delayed, but with the reward of playing longer.  But teams switching coaches want as much time as possible to start building the new staff.

Yep, Greed nailed it. The reason many people love the NFL is because of the parity in the league. Heck, the Niners won like 3 games last year.
The current situation stinks for the Vikings, but I do not think the league will do anything to change these rules. The impact on overall parity would likely be minimal, but it would still be there.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@greediron said:
@medaille said:
@pumpf said:
I hate it.  They ought to make a rule forbidding EVERY team from filling their HC job until after the Super Bowl.  MAYBE that way, we might be able to hear something about the playoffs when we turn on the TV / radio... instead of just hearing about who the Cowboys hired.

For Steph's sake, I hope they give the job to someone else.  He deserves better than that.  Plus, I would love to see him be motivated even more this Saturday (when they give it to someone else).
Me too.  It’s just
playoffs.

the hiring of all coaches and the interviewing of currently employed coaches during
coaches again.

I do agree that it sucks.  I liked the old way better, they could interview during a bye week, or after they were done with the playoffs.
But the problem with forcing them to wait is that the teams that didn't fire their coaches have a head start on the offseason.  Now that isn't insurmountable as the playoff teams are also delayed, but with the reward of playing longer.  But teams switching coaches want as much time as possible to start building the new staff.

Yep, Greed nailed it. The reason many people love the NFL is because of the parity in the league. Heck, the Niners won like 3 games last year.
The current situation stinks for the Vikings, but I do not think the league will do anything to change these rules. The impact on overall parity would likely be minimal, but it would still be there.
Wait until it affects the cowboys and see if the rules dont change then.

I like the Browns.  I think a coach could build a real team there - they have some talent.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@pattersaur said:
@greediron said:
@medaille said:
@pumpf said:

Me too.  It’s just
playoffs.

coaches again.

I think it changed because it was affecting the Patriots.  Their assistants were getting passed over because they were in the superbowl every other year.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@pattersaur said:
@greediron said:
@medaille said:
@pumpf said:

Me too.  It’s just
playoffs.

coaches again.

I think it changed because it was affecting the Patriots.  Their assistants were getting passed over because they were in the superbowl every other year.
There no shortage of former Patriot assistants around the league. I don't think their success was inhibiting them getting chances.

I'm not sure why he even agreed to waste his time with this when he went through the process last year. They know what they are getting in him. 

The league moves fast. The Senior Bowl is at the end of the month, then the combine is only a few weeks after that. So if teams wait to hire a head coach until after the Super Bowl, then the best assistant coach candidates may be gone & they are behind on draft and FA prep. Granted, teams are moving unusually fast this year. Granted it sucks to have Stefanski interviewing for a Head Coach job when we are preparing for a playoff game, but if we were on the other side of the coin, then we'd be frustrated if rules were blocking us from interviewing the Head Coach candidates we want.

[Image: NewEngland%20Patriots.png]
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "if all goes well" in Patriots OC Josh McDaniels' interview for the Browns' head-coaching position on Friday, Cleveland "could close it out today."RELATED: 

• [Image: NewEngland%20Patriots.png]
    Ben Volin of the Boston Globe reports the Browns have narrowed their coaching search to Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, Bills OC Brian Daboll and Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski and are expected to make their decision Friday night or Saturday.RELATED: 
    SOURCE: Ben Volin on TwitterJan 10, 2020, 11:58 AM ET
  • [*]