Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to see a great one-on-one block?
Interesting to me that some our key players in this game and in recent weeks have been Odenigbo (7th round), Ant Harris (undrafted), Adam Thielen (undrafted), Eric Wilson (undrafted), Mike Boone (undrafted), Jayron Kearse (7th round), Bisi (7th round). 

That to go along with an excellent 2019 draft, a couple free agent hits (Cousins, Kline)...all supports the argument that this front office (Rick and his college and pro scouting staffs) needs to stay together. I really think they're getting better at what they do. 

I don't know how Gedeon sees the field again. Hell, if we had lost Barr, I was comfortable inserting him in his spot.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I'll use this opportunity to mention yet again how painfully wrong about #75. He got 1 All Pro vote this year. He'll get much more next year. He's been a rock star. Find a LT in the draft and leave O'Neill where he is. When you have the likes of Jordan and Hunter lining up on the left, you need two quality OTs.
I'll take some of that crow as well. But, in our defense, there were serious questions about whether his weight was legit, having gained a ton of it in a short time to switch from 230 lb. tight end to 290 lb. tackle. And he just wasn't very good at the Senior Bowl. Now, while I've always believed that the Senior Bowl--especially practice week--is the single best scouting measure for predicting success in the NFL, it's certainly not 100%. 

I'm not sure what I think about moving him or keeping him on the right. I tend to think it's best to just leave him, but are we selling him short by doing that? What if the transition is not a problem for him? Sure wasn't for Tyron Smith. I'm guessing he would be for it, considering the money difference. I think I'd try in training camp, and if he struggles at all, just forget about it.
i would say OTAs/Mini Camps,  if at all.  by the time camp rolls around you will know if he has the footwork to make it a more permanent effort or if he should be left at RT.  waiting until august to try a move like that could be a massive failure if he cant make the move and you screw up his rhythm right before the season starts.   personally i say pay him well and keep him at RT and draft a new LT and let Hill and FNG battle it out unless Reiff wants to make some serious $$$ concessions to stay in the mix. 

And the draft should provide potential FNGs for the LT spot...Having a rookie surpass Hill at a tackle spot has worked well before...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I'll use this opportunity to mention yet again how painfully wrong about #75. He got 1 All Pro vote this year. He'll get much more next year. He's been a rock star. Find a LT in the draft and leave O'Neill where he is. When you have the likes of Jordan and Hunter lining up on the left, you need two quality OTs.
I'll take some of that crow as well. But, in our defense, there were serious questions about whether his weight was legit, having gained a ton of it in a short time to switch from 230 lb. tight end to 290 lb. tackle. And he just wasn't very good at the Senior Bowl. Now, while I've always believed that the Senior Bowl--especially practice week--is the single best scouting measure for predicting success in the NFL, it's certainly not 100%. 

I'm not sure what I think about moving him or keeping him on the right. I tend to think it's best to just leave him, but are we selling him short by doing that? What if the transition is not a problem for him? Sure wasn't for Tyron Smith. I'm guessing he would be for it, considering the money difference. I think I'd try in training camp, and if he struggles at all, just forget about it.
i would say OTAs/Mini Camps,  if at all.  by the time camp rolls around you will know if he has the footwork to make it a more permanent effort or if he should be left at RT.  waiting until august to try a move like that could be a massive failure if he cant make the move and you screw up his rhythm right before the season starts.   personally i say pay him well and keep him at RT and draft a new LT and let Hill and FNG battle it out unless Reiff wants to make some serious $$$ concessions to stay in the mix. 
Definitely OTA's.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
And the draft should provide potential FNGs for the LT spot...Having a rookie surpass Hill at a tackle spot has worked well before...
I am hoping that one of Dozier, Samia or Collins can provide a real improvment at LG next year... well honestly I am hoping that Elf can make a big jump,  but who ever it is we need to be able to move bodies in the short run game, not just trick them into getting out of position. 

Let us say we win next week, Kirk balls out in all 3 playoff games.  

Do you restructure Reiff and slide him to LG, drafting LT?

Do you cut Reiff, extend Kirk and get cap room (combining Reiff and Kirk’s savings) for Scheriff?  Drafting a T in the first, second, or third?

which line would you like more
A: ONeill-Scheriff-Bradburry-Kline-Rookie RT (Hill-Collins-Elf-Dozier-Udoh)

B: 1st RD LT - Reiff - Bradburry - Kline - ONeil
(Hill-Collins-Elf-Dozier-Udoh)

Give me A, drafting that RT in the 3rd, allowing us to draft DE, DT in the first two rounds. 

With Kirk, Cook, Mattison, the Dynamic Duos at TE and WR, we need dominance in the trenches.  One more young talent at T and a stud a G could do that

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I am hoping that one of Dozier, Samia or Collins can provide a real improvment at LG next year... well honestly I am hoping that Elf can make a big jump,  but who ever it is we need to be able to move bodies in the short run game, not just trick them into getting out of position. 
I have hope for Elf due to his wrestling background. G is his better position. With as bad as Elf was, I think if Samia was anything other than a backup, he would have been in there. My guess is our LG isn't currently on the roster. FA seems quite meager. This is why I wanted Leatherwood so bad, you could put him in at either position on the left and sit him next to Reiff.

Quote: @Skodin said:

Do you cut Reiff, extend Kirk and get cap room (combining Reiff and Kirk’s savings) for Scheriff?  Drafting a T in the first, second, or third?

Give me A, drafting that RT in the 3rd, allowing us to draft DE, DT in the first two rounds. 

With Kirk, Cook, Mattison, the Dynamic Duos at TE and WR, we need dominance in the trenches.  One more young talent at T and a stud a G could do that
I'd be very surprised if Reiff were on the team next year. Just too much potential cap savings that we'll need. I love A. But we're going to have to dump a lot more salary than just Reiff to bring in a guy like Scherff (maybe Linval and Rhodes too). 

Also, I think my draft pick would be more of a left tackle. You could put him on the right if O'Neill proves capable of playing on the left, but some security if he can't. Also very excited about how Udoh played in week 17. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:

I'd be very surprised if Reiff were on the team next year. Just too much potential cap savings that we'll need. I love A. But we're going to have to dump a lot more salary than just Reiff to bring in a guy like Scherff (maybe Linval and Rhodes too). 

Also, I think my draft pick would be more of a left tackle. You could put him on the right if O'Neill proves capable of playing on the left, but some security if he can't. Also very excited about how Udoh played in week 17. 
we have depth at LT in Collins and Hill and both have shown to be pretty good when given the chance on the left side,  although neither has made anything memorably positive out of their opportunities on the right side. 

as far as ONeill and getting paid more on the left,  what if he fails miserably on the left,  what will that do to his FA value?  besides there are right tackles getting paid as much or more than their LT counterparts.   Like others have said,  in todays NFL,  it really doesnt matter L vs R,  just put the best player in their best position to succeed and role from there.

besides,  what does getting Sherff have to do with moving ONeill?   that is simply a matter of cap space,  kicking ONeill over there doesnt create cap space,  it just creates question marks at 2 positions instead of 1.