Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hughes On IR, Mac Out
Well this just sucks, looking like it could be a long Sunday afternoon my friends.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
Well this just sucks, looking like it could be a long Sunday afternoon my friends.
Thinking the same thing.  Our secondary was a weakness before both these guys are out.  Then you add Kendricks (one of the best coverage LB's dinged up is he even remotely going to be able to keep up with Kamara coming out of the backfield?  

All these injuries now added to  ion that the Saints are the best team in the NFC and I think we are in for another ass-whooping in prime-time.  

Hoping for the best but expecting another dud.  

Prolly have to roll with Kearse at nickel and "High upon the" Hill at dime with Boyd in reserve.  Without Alexander and Hughes now with Brees the QB  IMO we are going to have to drop everyone in coverage and try to force  them to run the ball.     

Wow...Hughes and Alexander out is huge. But no excuses. Saints are banged up too. 

I hear Wasswa Serwanga is still in good condition.

Eric Wilson has filled in and has had some success - he's shown an ability to get to the ball and understands his responsibilities. Wilson and Brothers together is a different thing; gap assignments being mixed up or missed was a big reason Aaron Jones ran down our throats at the end of the GB game. Kamara has had a few highlight reel runs standing behind Brees and running up the gut so we definitely need to be in the right lanes ready to stop it. It's not Kamara's forte, but he can do it all day if we give it to them.

... i've got nothing on this DB situation though... may the lord have mercy on our souls...

Considering this news, I think the X factor could be Rhodes. I know, the last guy you want to count on considering the year he's had, but with Hughes out, I think the rotation is also out and Zimmer will ask Rhodes to step up be Rhodes of old. Maybe not as crazy as it sounds. He's actually played well against Michael Thomas, holding him under 100 and without a TD the last two times they've played. 

At first I thought this was disastrous, however when you think about it what has Hughes or Alexander done recently?  Hughes is consistently getting beat and targeted by the veteran QBs and has been a nightmare of a punt returner.  Alexander has been better and is definitely a loss, but I don't think we are going to have a huge drop by playing Hill and Kearse.  Hill has looked decent, has gotten through the rust of missing the first quarter of the season and I think has a higher ceiling that both of them.  And Kearse has proven to play well in the big moments. I am actually excited that we could get some new life pumped into the secondary and we definitely upgraded our punt return game.  

Jayron Kearse can slide into the slot as big nickle, might not beed a bad matchup vs Michael Thomas if Saints slide him into the slot.

Who am I kidding, Brees will carve us up like a Xmas Turkey.

Quote: @JR44 said:
At first I thought this was disastrous, however when you think about it what has Hughes or Alexander done recently?  Hughes is consistently getting beat and targeted by the veteran QBs and has been a nightmare of a punt returner.  Alexander has been better and is definitely a loss, but I don't think we are going to have a huge drop by playing Hill and Kearse.  Hill has looked decent, has gotten through the rust of missing the first quarter of the season and I think has a higher ceiling that both of them.  And Kearse has proven to play well in the big moments. I am actually excited that we could get some new life pumped into the secondary and we definitely upgraded our punt return game.  
Alexander is a big loss.  Hardly have noticed him this year because he is doing his job.  And Hughes has been rotating in at CB1 to keep Rhodes "fresh".  Yeah, it is a big blow.
But we get Sherels back.