Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the Vikings make a deep playoff run without an elite defense?
Quote: @"CLOBIMON" said:
Sitting here thinking about a playoff run, as in the NFC playoffs, and scratching my head...  Nobody thinks the Vikings are playing defense at an "elite" level, but then which of the teams currently in the NFC playoff spots really are? 

-SF is about the only one; total yardage stats about equal to the '17 Vikings while giving up a couple more points/game than they did.
-GB numbers are worse than MN
-NO is very close to MN while allowing more points/game
-Dallas, similar to NO
-Seattle has allowed the most ppg and ypg of the bunch

MN is 2nd of this group in PPG allowed behind SF
They're comparable in YPG allowed with NO & Dallas and considerably above GB & Seattle. 
T3rd with GB in takeaways behind SF & Seattle. 
3rd in sacks behind SF & NO.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that we're just more judgemental of and disappointed with the Vikings defense because they're not near the top of the league statistically right now.  The way I see it is that if the current six teams are in the NFC playoffs, perhaps fans of SF might be the only ones that should feel pretty confident regarding that side of the ball.  

It's a Wide Open year in the NFC. Which makes the Defense's performance so disappointing. 

Even last year's Defense wouldn't have given up clock-eating drive after clock-eating drive to Chase freaking Daniel's. Or 3 TDs to start the GB game. Or let Matt freaking Moore hit chunk play after chunk play. Or given up 200+ yards to a so-so Hags O-Line and RBs.

With the 2017 Vikings Defense this team is undefeated and everyone is drooling over the inevitable showdown with Baltimore in the Superbowl. 

There's some perspective on how far they've fallen on that side of the ball. The Offense that was moribund even last year is now outperforming them. Which sucks cuz every NFC Playoff Team is eminently beatable at home.