Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk in Minnesota long term?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@"Geoff Nichols" Let's say we add a couple voidable years to the current contract to see what Cousins can do in KOC's scheme without making a long term commitment. How do those voidable years impact the ability to sign a new deal? Do the voided years accelerate into 2023? 
They would only accelerate if his deal expires. So if they re-sign him they would only be adding the incremental $'s they moved forward divided by the number of years less 2022. Void years aren't really awful in this case since you owe him the money regardless and it wouldn't prevent you from resigning him a season from now. 
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@"Geoff Nichols" Let's say we add a couple voidable years to the current contract to see what Cousins can do in KOC's scheme without making a long term commitment. How do those voidable years impact the ability to sign a new deal? Do the voided years accelerate into 2023? 
They would only accelerate if his deal expires. So if they re-sign him they would only be adding the incremental $'s they moved forward divided by the number of years less 2022. Void years aren't really awful in this case since you owe him the money regardless and it wouldn't prevent you from resigning him a season from now. 
Unfortunately, the Vikings cannot add void years without his permission.  Why would he and his agent agree to that?

They probably want to get extended now because next year it could be less.

Giving the Vikings breathing room to decide if they want to keep him really does nothing for him.

Of course, we all want him to it if the team asks.

But what really is in it for him?

Maybe we could throw in a lifetime pass to Pizza Ranch…!?  Wink :p  

Quote: @Kentis said:
Maybe we could throw in a lifetime pass to Pizza Ranch…!?  Wink :p  
Well they have really jacked their prices in the last year so it is understandable that he needs a bigger deal.

Let him play the final year out. If he is successful he will be worth paying. If not, let him walk and hold some other team hostage. 

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
Let him play the final year out. If he is successful he will be worth paying. If not, let him walk and hold some other team hostage. 
I personally think Kirk is smart enough to realize he isnt worth anything that starts with a 4. He was tagged twice and got paid cuz he knew what the Vikes needed. Did the same thing with the extentsion. Now, we have a new group and do you collect your $45MM and test the market or do you extend for another 3 years and lessen the burden if you want to keep playing? It may not seem like it, but if Kirk wants to play until his late 30s then he needs to extend cuz I dont think he gets what he wants in next years market.

According to NFL Radio the Sehawks declined a multi pick package from the Redskins for Russell Wilson. 

The Broncos are reportedly willing to offer the Packers a multi pick package for Aaron Rodgers. 

Also reporting teams at the combine are approaching the Raiders with interest in Derek Carr who is entering the final year of his contract.

I'm betting the same is happening with teams also inquiring about Cousins. You'd have to think so. This quarterback situation league wide is going to be very, very interesting leading up to the draft. You'd have to think at least a couple of these guys get traded 

To me, this isn't a "Kirk can't win you a Super Bowl argument". With the right pieces and coaching around him I think he can and I would love to keep him with this coaching staff to see what they can do with him. This all comes down to timing and the Cap. First on the timing. As a Cap strapped team, you are going to be faced with cutting good players and letting your best FA's walk to sign Kirk to another extension. Guys like Barr who would probably do great in this new defense won't be affordable. Conklin, who had a solid year filling in for Smith? Gone. That's were the timing comes in. How long will it take you to rebuild your defense through the draft and signing low level free agents to fill in all the holes we have? Let's say it's two years. Does it make sense to extend Cousins at a $40 Million per year market deal, which is what has been rumored he wants in an extension, and waste a couple years of that contract while you rebuild the defense? 

On the Cap, we are $11.4 Million over the Cap as we sit today. Brzezinski is a magician with contracts so maybe he can work some miracles, but there will have to be some difficult cuts or trades made with guys you don't want to lose or move. If we do nothing and let Cousins play out his deal, his $45 Million Cap hit will take up $21.6% of the Team's payroll in 2022. If Mark Wilf was serious that the Vikings are not rebuilding this year and you keep Cousins, I guess we will have to put up 40+ points per game to have a chance. 

My biggest concern is that the level of the defense as it sits today is not in alignment with our offense and specifically the money we will have to invest in Kirk to keep him here on a long term deal. It's going to take some time to bring the D up to a competitive level and spending a ton of money on your QB while you wait for that gap to close doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Kwesi said it at the combine: "Kirk will do what's best for Kirk". Cousins has been excellent at leveraging his position with the Redskins and Vikings to get the money he thinks he's worth. There will be no deals that help the Vikings because we don't have any leverage over Cousins. 

Interesting times to be a Vikings fan.  

Even with Cousins' $35M cap hit in '21, the Vikings were still somehow able to pay pretty big money to Thielen, O'Neill, Hunter, Tomlinson, Pierce, Griffen, Kendricks, Barr, Harry and Patrick Peterson. I think the impact of paying one player an enormous amount of money is overrated. It's all a game of Monopoly and everybody plays it.

Vikings have a lot of payment due deadlines coming in the next couple of weeks. We'll know exactly what they think of their "window" based on whether these players are restructured or moved.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Even with Cousins' $35M cap hit in '21, the Vikings were still somehow able to pay pretty big money to Thielen, O'Neill, Hunter, Tomlinson, Pierce, Griffen, Kendricks, Barr, Harry and Patrick Peterson. I think the impact of paying one player an enormous amount of money is overrated. It's all a game of Monopoly and everybody plays it.

Vikings have a lot of payment due deadlines coming in the next couple of weeks. We'll know exactly what they think of their "window" based on whether these players are restructured or moved.  

I'll bet at least a 1/3 of this roster turns over this year. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:

I'll bet at least a 1/3 of this roster turns over this year. 
So 7 players? Good God, I hope not! That would mean a rebuild and that the new regime has been lying about what they think of their window. I think if you go down that road, there's really not a good argument for keeping Cousins either. 

I think it's more likely we'll see a couple of surprise cuts and a couple of restructures. But we'll soon find out.