Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Don't Want To Be A Non-Vaccinated Player/Mediocre OL Coach
Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@VikingOracle said:
For my conservative viking-fan friends, I am interested in knowing whether you would support in a Republican primary a politician who had previously voted for a law that forced businesses to conduct their business in a manner that they do not wish to conduct it?  I hope you recognize that I have had respectful conversations with right-leaning friends on this board.  Thanks.
Not enough information to have an opinion on your question.  For example, who is the politician, what office did he/she hold, what is their political leanings, provide details of the new law, what are the counter arguments by businesses, and so much more...  I'm not a single issue voter so maybe, maybe not...  Shrug
Thanks, that is actually my point.  People will say that government shouldn't be regulating businesses so much but here you are saying that you are fine with government regulating business if it lines up with your agenda.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@VikingOracle said:
For my conservative viking-fan friends, I am interested in knowing whether you would support in a Republican primary a politician who had previously voted for a law that forced businesses to conduct their business in a manner that they do not wish to conduct it?  I hope you recognize that I have had respectful conversations with right-leaning friends on this board.  Thanks.
Not enough information to have an opinion on your question.  For example, who is the politician, what office did he/she hold, what is their political leanings, provide details of the new law, what are the counter arguments by businesses, and so much more...  I'm not a single issue voter so maybe, maybe not...  Shrug
Thanks, that is actually my point.  People will say that government shouldn't be regulating businesses so much but here you are saying that you are fine with government regulating business if it lines up with your agenda.
Yep. As always is the case. 

@IDVikingfan said:
@VikingOracle said:
Nice setup VO! I didn't agree to anything!  You asked a very vague question with no details.  I was asking for details and you gave none.  Hint, I would not vote for any candidate without information on their positions, goals, etc.  Nor would I support an unspecified government regulation without understanding the intent and pros/cons to the regulation.  

What's the old saying "indecision is the key to flexibility" 

https://www.searchquotes.com/search/Inde...exibility/

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
A much better response, an informed voter can make a clear decision after acquiring knowledge and understanding about the issues and candidates.  VO provided no information, no specificity.  He got I can't say answer which is all he should expect with such a vague question.

@BigAl99 said:
A much better response, an informed voter can make a clear decision after acquiring knowledge and understanding about the issues and candidates.  VO provided no information, no specificity.  He got I can't say answer which is all he should expect with such a vague question.
What you are saying is that there are situation where you can approve of government regulations adverse to how a business wants to run its business.  But, for you, I will give some specification:  is it ever okay for the government to dictate who a business can or cannot service.  There have been some discussions above on that topic.  And please tell me where you draw that line for example, is it okay for a business not to serve gay customer and, if so, is it based on a religious belief?  We have established that you are okay with regulating business (which I think everyone is okay with some regulation); what I am interested in is where people draw the line.

I've used this example in the past, everyone is okay with a law requiring people to drive on the right side of the road -- it prevents accidents, creates an orderly system of driving, etc.  So, in mind mind, there is a continuum of regulations where a line can be drawn between acceptable and unacceptable.  The question to me, therefore, is whether there are objective criteria to what you find acceptable or unacceptable or whether it is tied to another objective (i.e., a person is fine with regulations that would support other ideological goals).  I sincerely wonder whether the Republican party has moved from a party that believed in pushing regulations making down to the local level to using regulations to support other ideological goals.

I am admittedly a Democrats but I grew up in a republican household (my father ran for Congress as a Republican and my brother worked fro Senator Bond for many years).  That brother is now a libertarian.  I grew up in NH (hence my prior NHBred moniker) and there was strong view if what constituted a republican -- no new taxes, regulation made at the local (not state) level, no interference or control of what happens in one's home.  I am genuinely interested in the issue set forth above and do not mean any disrespect.

@IDVikingfan said:
@BigAl99 said:
What you are saying is that there are situation where you can approve of government regulations adverse to how a business wants to run its business.  But, for you, I will give some specification:  is it ever okay for the government to dictate who a business can or cannot service.  There have been some discussions above on that topic.  And please tell me where you draw that line for example, is it okay for a business not to serve gay customer and, if so, is it based on a religious belief?  We have established that you are okay with regulating business (which I think everyone is okay with some regulation); what I am interested in is where people draw the line.

I've used this example in the past, everyone is okay with a law requiring people to drive on the right side of the road -- it prevents accidents, creates an orderly system of driving, etc.  So, in mind mind, there is a continuum of regulations where a line can be drawn between acceptable and unacceptable.  The question to me, therefore, is whether there are objective criteria to what you find acceptable or unacceptable or whether it is tied to another objective (i.e., a person is fine with regulations that would support other ideological goals).  I sincerely wonder whether the Republican party has moved from a party that believed in pushing regulations making down to the local level to using regulations to support other ideological goals.

I am admittedly a Democrats but I grew up in a republican household (my father ran for Congress as a Republican and my brother worked fro Senator Bond for many years).  That brother is now a libertarian.  I grew up in NH (hence my prior NHBred moniker) and there was strong view if what constituted a republican -- no new taxes, regulation made at the local (not state) level, no interference or control of what happens in one's home.  I am genuinely interested in the issue set forth above and do not mean any disrespect.

Thank you for the clarification.  I'm not really a political animal and live in conservative state whose government is slow to institute new regulations.  I spent my 39 year career working as a consultant to dairy producers.  Of course, there were numerous regulatory changes that impacted the dairy industry during that time frame. Some changes hastened the departure of smaller, older dairy farms.  Without going into details, most of the changes were appropriate and the industry was given a reasonable time frame to come into compliance.  I'm not against regulations that make sense, are appropriate, and have a reasonable time frame for an industry to come into compliance.  Of course, the "devil is in the details" which makes a general discussion on regulations challenging.

I don't have a specific agenda but do follow developments that may impact the dairy industry and changes that may impact my retirement!  Thumbs up for a reasonable discussion!

@VikingOracle said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@BigAl99 said:
Thank you for the clarification.  I'm not really a political animal and live in conservative state whose government is slow to institute new regulations.  I spent my 39 year career working as a consultant to dairy producers.  Of course, there were numerous regulatory changes that impacted the dairy industry during that time frame. Some changes hastened the departure of smaller, older dairy farms.  Without going into details, most of the changes were appropriate and the industry was given a reasonable time frame to come into compliance.  I'm not against regulations that make sense, are appropriate, and have a reasonable time frame for an industry to come into compliance.  Of course, the "devil is in the details" which makes a general discussion on regulations challenging.

I don't have a specific agenda but do follow developments that may impact the dairy industry and changes that may impact my retirement!  Thumbs up for a reasonable discussion!

Thank you for your response and I think it is illuminating.  I think one line you would draw about regulations are regulation adopted to truly protect public health -- maybe an assumption but I am going with it.  It remind me of two other regulations -- seatbelts and motorcycle helmets.  I remember the true uproar when NH first required seat belts -- it was an infringement against personal freedom.  But, behind it, was a goal of not only saving lives but also preventing people from suffering such injuries that they could no longer be productive for society and might require public assistance.  Same with motorcycle helmets -- NH actually does not require motorcycle helmets if over 18 (I always wore one).  But you can be found negligent in a lawsuit in NH for failure to wear a helmet.  So, regulations in the area of public health is an area of common acceptance with us (I think)  -- though we might not agree where the line gets drawn. 

I do find it disturbing that we as a country have not done enough for small farmers -- I think it is a national disgrace.  I think the big farming companies are bad for the country and bad for the workers.   It is something I wish both parties would address better. 

@IDVikingfan said:
@VikingOracle said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@BigAl99 said:

Thank you for your response and I think it is illuminating.  I think one line you would draw about regulations are regulation adopted to truly protect public health -- maybe an assumption but I am going with it.  It remind me of two other regulations -- seatbelts and motorcycle helmets.  I remember the true uproar when NH first required seat belts -- it was an infringement against personal freedom.  But, behind it, was a goal of not only saving lives but also preventing people from suffering such injuries that they could no longer be productive for society and might require public assistance.  Same with motorcycle helmets -- NH actually does not require motorcycle helmets if over 18 (I always wore one).  But you can be found negligent in a lawsuit in NH for failure to wear a helmet.  So, regulations in the area of public health is an area of common acceptance with us (I think)  -- though we might not agree where the line gets drawn. 

I do find it disturbing that we as a country have not done enough for small farmers -- I think it is a national disgrace.  I think the big farming companies are bad for the country and bad for the workers.   It is something I wish both parties would address better. 
There is no money in saving small family farms/businesses... ie,  no gain for a politician for either party.,  they all say they are for the little man,  but their actions once elected speak otherwise and much much louder.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@VikingOracle said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@VikingOracle said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@BigAl99 said:

There is no money in saving small family farms/businesses... ie,  no gain for a politician for either party.,  they all say they are for the little man,  but their actions once elected speak otherwise and much much louder.
Its never been said better by anyone. This is the absolute truth: