Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where will Kirk end up?
Quote: @HappyViking said:
@supafreak84 said:
Per Jeremy Fowler at ESPN;

"Cousins is not expected to take a hometown discount to stay in Minnesota. He has a very specific idea in mind for what he wants on his next contract and so far the Vikings have not made a contract offer that matches that." 
Shouldn't our Captn' Kirk start thinking about his NFL legacy starting about now?  The dude has made so much money, but still has quite a bit of a league wide crappy reputation as a legit "Star".  If his entire motivation as a player is all about making as much money as possible, none of that changes for him.
What if he did give the Vikes a nice hometown discount, and they used those savings to surround him with a better OL, RB, and WRs?  If he stayed, he could let himself be on a team with a rebuilt defense by resigning Hunter and going after other big name defenseive FAs.Maybe Kirk likes his spot on the couch in January and February so hoisting a SB trophy over his head just doesn't mean all that much.If he won't resign because he can make more somewhere else, screw him.  I would never bet he'd be winning a SB with his next team either.
if the team is truly a QB away as some tried to profess when he came here,  you roll that die and make it work,  Kirk could deliver a SB run with that situation,  but just know that its likely a very short window as you can only kick his money so far down the road,  or those cheap rookie contributors are going to want theirs sooner than later and will bolt.  I wont say he cant help a ready to rock team, but you cant build a team around a player with his financial mentality and mobility limitations IMO.

Per Dan Graziano at ESPN this morning on his post Combine wrap up;

"I have been told by multiple sources this week that signing Cousins -- not trading for Justin Fields -- is the Falcons' top QB solution, assuming Cousins makes it to free agency."

Per Fowler;

"And as you said, Dan, some people in the league believe Atlanta will pursue Cousins. As one NFL exec put it, that's probably one of the best overall free agent fits out there." 

Sounds like the Falcons are coming after him (not surprising) if nothing gets done in Minnesota before the start of free agency 

I just heard KOC's interview with Rich Eisen at the combine.  He sounds like a guy whose girlfriend Kirkella just told him she hopes they can still be friends.

If Kirk leaves and Vikings don’t draft qb round one, then 2024 is a waste and the Wilf’s will can the GM and coach and start over in 25.

Quote: @smleh said:
If Kirk leaves and Vikings don’t draft qb round one, then 2024 is a waste and the Wilf’s will can the GM and coach and start over in 25.
I'm not expecting any rook QB to start.

A big issue for 2024 would be finding a competent bridge QB...

I'd prefer to keep Kirk. But if they lose him, but find that bridge? Draft someone I am excited about?

I'm probably ok with that. 

Quarter billion from this franchise and he wants even more.  Kook is quite greedy.  

Time to move on.

Quote: @comet52 said:
I just heard KOC's interview with Rich Eisen at the combine.  He sounds like a guy whose girlfriend Kirkella just told him she hopes they can still be friends.
If Kirk can't give a discount, send him packing and do what you need to do to get your QB out of this draft.  I think this is an easier decision than most make it out to be.  Kirk with this current team and not willing to leave some dollars on the table to fortify the team in FA is pretty much worthless.  Good QB but time to quit being held hostage every year.  He's made his money.  Now it's time to prove he's a Viking.

Quote: @Waterboy said:
@comet52 said:
If Kirk can't give a discount, send him packing and do what you need to do to get your QB out of this draft.  I think this is an easier decision than most make it out to be.  Kirk with this current team and not willing to leave some dollars on the table to fortify the team in FA is pretty much worthless.  Good QB but time to quit being held hostage every year.  He's made his money.  Now it's time to prove he's a Viking.
most things seem to indicate he's leaning more towards "ex Viking"

Schefter on McAfee today, thinks that while Atlanta and Minnesota are the primary suitors for Cousins, he thinks Washington could also jump into the mix and that they are totally flexible evaluating quarterback possibilities. 

I don't see that being a great fit with Kingsbury, but interesting..

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Schefter on McAfee today, thinks that while Atlanta and Minnesota are the primary suitors for Cousins, he thinks Washington could also jump into the mix and that they are totally flexible evaluating quarterback possibilities. 

I don't see that being a great fit with Kingsbury, but interesting..
Either way a QB hungry team in front of us is taken out of the mix.

It's gross, he could take $20M per year, get 3 guaranteed years out of it and this team could have the flexibility to retain its best players AND add a key piece or two every year.

But he's not that guy.  He has $250M and for some terrible reason, think he needs more.