Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins and his contract
Quote: @Kentis said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@Kentis said:
Like I mentioned in another thread, Cousins’ restructure actually makes him easier to trade now. Can’t really see it happening, but it has that affect…
Not sure how that is the case.  If it is true that they created 16M in cap space then they had to take his entire 20M roster bonus plus 4M of salary and spread it over the last 3 years (through 2025).

His cap hit would be 202.25M this year and 14.25M in 2024 & 2025 which are void years.

The problem is if they move on from him after this season, they would have to eat 28.5M in dead money in 2024.

As far as trading him, I suppose they can still do it because they do not have to pay him the roster bonus all at once and not until 3/23 (15M 3/23 and 5M 9/23).

I guess they can do this cap conversion and still trade him but to who?

Also, I heard on NFL Network from Ian Rappoport that the conversion would only free up 10M in cap space which seems more Brez like to me.

If they added void years they would need his permission and that is possible if they feel like they will extend him yet again and are still haggling.
It’s more palpable to a trade partner, not us…
I know what you mean but I do not see any partner out there anymore.  Would Indy want him if we paid the 15M roster bonus?  I do not see another team besides the Jets if Rodgers spurns them OR if the Vikings offered him in a deal for Lamar Jackson.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@Kentis said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@Kentis said:
Like I mentioned in another thread, Cousins’ restructure actually makes him easier to trade now. Can’t really see it happening, but it has that affect…
Not sure how that is the case.  If it is true that they created 16M in cap space then they had to take his entire 20M roster bonus plus 4M of salary and spread it over the last 3 years (through 2025).

His cap hit would be 202.25M this year and 14.25M in 2024 & 2025 which are void years.

The problem is if they move on from him after this season, they would have to eat 28.5M in dead money in 2024.

As far as trading him, I suppose they can still do it because they do not have to pay him the roster bonus all at once and not until 3/23 (15M 3/23 and 5M 9/23).

Also, I heard on NFL Network from Ian Rappoport that the conversion would only free up 10M in cap space which seems more Brez like to me.

If they added void years they would need his permission and that is possible if they feel like they will extend him yet again and are still haggling.
It’s more palpable to a trade partner, not us…
I know what you mean but I do not see any partner out there anymore.  Would Indy want him if we paid the 15M roster bonus?  I do not see another team besides the Jets if Rodgers spurns them OR if the Vikings offered him in a deal for Lamar Jackson.

As I said, can’t see it happening, but you never know Mark.  B) 

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@Kentis said:

the void years were already in place,  they are just adding to the amount of can kicked, but you are right,  they are looking at a hefty hit next year if he is cut or traded this year.  either way the stench of KCs contract will be lingering long after the glory of his tenure if things follow like they have.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@Kentis said:

the void years were already in place,  they are just adding to the amount of can kicked, but you are right,  they are looking at a hefty hit next year if he is cut or traded this year.  either way the stench of KCs contract will be lingering long after the glory of his tenure if things follow like they have.

I read they added 2 void years to reach the maximum of 5… :o 

https://www.twincities.com/2023/03/14/vikings-agree-to-re-sign-garrett-bradbury-restructure-kirk-cousins-contract-for-cap-room/

Report: Kirk Cousins contract restructure adds two void years
The Minnesota Vikings restructured the contract of quarterback Kirk Cousins on Tuesday afternoon to save $16 million in cap space. According to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, the Vikings added two void years onto his contract.
Initially, The Star Tribune’s Ben Goessling believed that it was only spread across the two current void years that he already has. What this means is that Cousins agreed to adding two void years. NFL teams are allowed to restructure with their players at anytime to move money around, but need the player’s approval to add anything like a void year to the contract.
The move signals that, even though talks aren’t going well right now, spreading the hit out over four years means those talks aren’t dead yet.
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/14/vikings-kirk-cousins-restructure-void-years/

@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@Kentis said:

I read they added 2 void years to reach the maximum of 5… :o 

https://www.twincities.com/2023/03/14/vikings-agree-to-re-sign-garrett-bradbury-restructure-kirk-cousins-contract-for-cap-room/
ugh   Confused

Report: Kirk Cousins contract restructure adds two void years
The Minnesota Vikings restructured the contract of quarterback Kirk Cousins on Tuesday afternoon to save $16 million in cap space. According to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, the Vikings added two void years onto his contract.
Initially, The Star Tribune’s Ben Goessling believed that it was only spread across the two current void years that he already has. What this means is that Cousins agreed to adding two void years. NFL teams are allowed to restructure with their players at anytime to move money around, but need the player’s approval to add anything like a void year to the contract.
The move signals that, even though talks aren’t going well right now, spreading the hit out over four years means those talks aren’t dead yet.
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/14/vikings-kirk-cousins-restructure-void-years/

Weird move.

Pretty good description for the visual learners.... 

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...21665?s=20

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@Skodin said:
So is this making room for 2023 by taking room for 2024?

Why are we doing this?  Couldn't we restructure the bonus for ONeill and get into cap compliance without moving Z, Harry, or Cook?

Is this about creating leverage vs those 3 and leverage in a potential trade with another team?  I have no interest in seeing Z or Cook on this team next year, much rather have picks and room for new guys to step in

Are we re-building or re-loading?  Are both feet on the gas and brake?
That's a good question and I was alluding to this earlier in other posts. 

What is our plan?  So far it seems like we're playing on the margins and straddling the fence. 

We could do an easy retool by cutting all our old vets to clear max cap space and reinvest that money into younger talent.  But we only went halfway with releasing Kendricks and Thielen...  We're holding Z hostage when he doesn't want to play for us and potentially signed his replacement in Davenport but have yet to release Z... we have no resolution on Harry's status...  We just kicked the cap can down the road on Cousins without committing one way or the other on him.  No extensions for Hock, JJ, or Darrisaw but we got the best blocking TE in FA...

I don't understand what our goal is this off-season.

Wet, you're talking like this is your first free agency. We're 24 hours in and you've already lost patience. What the hell are we doing?!! Do something! Show me the plan, KAM!

A lot is going to happen between now and the draft, plenty more after the draft. I suspect that's when JJ will be extended. Same with TJH. You obviously can't do it now. There's no hurry because they're not free agents. Darrisaw? He's not even eligible yet. Patience, my friend. It's silly to judge the offseason until we've actually had one. Then you can bitch all you want. 
It's not just this off-season, it's the last one too.  Seems like Kwesi just picked up where Spielman left off.  I was hoping with a fresh perspective and a bright young mind, we'd see some forethought with our roster decisions.

Basically it's been a half ass approach to just get us under the cap without making a definitive decision on where we want this team to go.  Kirk still has us by the balls, we aren't willing to give him another guaranteed deal and by converting more of his salary into a bonus, we just added more dead money to the void years on his current deal instead of finding other ways to restructure or extend players we intend to keep beyond 2023. Even if we want to extend Kirk still, adding more dead money to his deal doesn't help us out at all in negotiations.  Basically it just limits the amount of cap gymanstics we could do with a long-term extension.

Also, this hasn't been talked about but the Danztler cut looks dumb as well.  We didn't want him, but Washington claimed him which means we could have gotten a late round pick (this year or next year) to send him there.  Missed opportunity by Kwesi.  Now before we poo poo a late round pick, when you're already down a couple picks in the draft... any additional ones you can get for basically free are good.

I'm just not impressed with what we've done to this point.  Same as last year, Kwesi did some good things but also made some mistakes as well.
I've seen this repeated several times by various posters over a few boards and am genuinely curious how such a  conclusion was jumped to. So if a player goes untraded  and subsequently cut, and signed elsewhere we are to assume no attempt to trade said player was made? Because that's essentially the logic here. Unless your privy to some info the rest of us are not I am not sure how you could possibly conclude he was simply dumped with not an ounce of thought about trading him.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Greylock said:
@wiviking said:
I don't get all the references to Cousins age, considering he has not missed a single game due to injury since he has been here.The guy takes a ton of hits and has not shown any signs of becoming frail and fragile. Last week people were clamoring to give up what, two first rounders for Jackson? Being that with our defense, we aren't winning any games with a backup quarterback, I'll take the guy that is available to play every week.
That's just it though, he will be 35 at the start of the season and those hits add up for somebody his age.  He could be the exception but he could also fall off the cliff in a hurry.  Wouldn't be the first quarterback in his middle 30's to regress in a hurry.
nobody wants to acknowledge the signs of aging.  Kirks completion % has dropped every year he's been a Viking,  is that a result of other factors or is that due to his taking hit after hit after hit for most of his life?  He has also shown other little things, but like the comp %,  it might be age,  it might be other,  but his performance is not what it once was,  but he did thrown for a shit load of yards,  although I dont know if that is a great measure or not,  doesnt really account for YAC that comes from a great route or broken tackles/plays.
I don't have any problem with Kirk's play this past season.  I think you're letting your opinion about Kirk's contract demands taint your view of him as a player.  He wasn't the Kirk some complained about in prior season...  You know the robotic "say and do everything right up until your down by 10 and then get a TD pass in the last minute of the game to lose by @ FG" guy.  He was Big Kirko this year.  I'll take that all day and twice on Sundays.  But I wish he'd throw us a bone now.  Vikings showed him the love on multiple guaranteed deals.  Love us back some and give us a longer deal with only the first couple years guaranteed so we can play with his cap hits.