Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk in Minnesota long term?
Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@StickyBun said:
Of course. NOBODY is trading for Cousins.....and the Vikings want to keep him. Its a complete non-story and always has been. 

Although true that the Vikes want to keep him, it's doubtful that they want to keep him under his present contract. While they could just let him play out this last season, doing so would hamper their ability to add FA's to shore up the roster in other areas, especially the defense. So they may want to keep him, but without a contract extension that's unlikely to happen.

As far as nobody willing to trade for KC, simple supply/demand dictates otherwise. There's probably 9 teams that are looking to upgrade their starting QB. It's apparent that none of the QBs available in this draft can step in as Day 1 starters. Looking at the QBs who will be available:

Garapolo
Trubisky
Jameis
Mariota

Which one would you take over KC? Now, a team trading for him would have to be willing to extend his contract at market rate which eliminates most of those 9 teams. But, that still leaves 2 or 3 that could make it happen.
I dont think SF rolls with just the 2nd year kid @ QB. I suspect JG is part of that team for one more year 

That leaves:
Trubisky
Jameis
Mariota

[Image: 360_F_185240070_qJLv0DuwKuN6zmQTh9fYD4utshUpIlEy.jpg]

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Riphawkins said:
@bigbone62 said:
From 2015 which was Cousins first year as the full time starter to 2020, Stafford's last year in Detroit here are their numbers. Pretty obvious why the comparison. Obvious if you are going off of real things and not clichés ole football coaches use that is. Numbers that are bolded are categories they bested the other QB in. 

Stafford
Games: 88
W-L: 39-48-1
Comp %:65.6
Passing Yards: 23,395
Rushing Yards: 713
Total Yards: 24,108
QB Rating: 96.2
Passing TDs: 151
Rushing TDs: 3
Total TDs: 154
INT’s: 59
Fumbles Lost: 3
Total Turnovers:62
Turnover Differential: +92

Playoffs: 0-1

Cousins

Games: 95

W-L: 49-44-2

Comp %: 68

Passing Yards: 25,342

Rushing Yards: 665

Total Yards: 26,007

QB Rating: 100.5

Passing TD’s: 172

Rushing TD’S: 16

Total TD’s 188

INT’s: 65

Fumbles Lost: 5

Total Turnovers: 70

Turnover Differential: +118

Playoffs: 1-2

Looks like Cousins is better, and I’m not being a smart ass.

Watched a couple of Rams games this year and Stafford didn’t look great, but that throw near the end of the game in Tampa Bay was a thing of beauty. 
Cousins can make that throw.
I would be careful comparing Stafford to Cousins, its an easy comparison based on the stats/number of year in the league. At the end of the day they both get from point A to point B but do it in very different ways. 

Kirk is more methodical while Stafford is much more aggressive and opportunistic. Physically speaking, Kirk can make all the throws Stafford game. But when it matters most Kirk's stats on his first read are good while it all falls apart once he gets to his second and third read. Stafford is equally as good through his third ready. All that means is he's better when the play breaks down. The more meaningful difference is when you look at 3rd and moderate scenarios. Kirk more often than not throws short of the sticks. Stafford more often throws it beyond the sticks by 5 yards. Point there is that although Stafford throws more INTs, he's attempting more difficult throws when it actually matters. 

So to get back to the throw against TB. Yes, Kirk can make that throw. But he is never attempting it. 
There's clearly a difference, going all the way back to one guy drafted first overall while the other was a fourth round project.

Regardless, my concern is KOC/KAM betting their new careers on Kirk.  He is not worth that big of a bet imo.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Riphawkins said:
@bigbone62 said:
From 2015 which was Cousins first year as the full time starter to 2020, Stafford's last year in Detroit here are their numbers. Pretty obvious why the comparison. Obvious if you are going off of real things and not clichés ole football coaches use that is. Numbers that are bolded are categories they bested the other QB in. 

Stafford

Cousins

Total TD’s 188

Watched a couple of Rams games this year and Stafford didn’t look great, but that throw near the end of the game in Tampa Bay was a thing of beauty. 
I would be careful comparing Stafford to Cousins, its an easy comparison based on the stats/number of year in the league. At the end of the day they both get from point A to point B but do it in very different ways. 

Kirk is more methodical while Stafford is much more aggressive and opportunistic. Physically speaking, Kirk can make all the throws Stafford game. But when it matters most Kirk's stats on his first read are good while it all falls apart once he gets to his second and third read. Stafford is equally as good through his third ready. All that means is he's better when the play breaks down. The more meaningful difference is when you look at 3rd and moderate scenarios. Kirk more often than not throws short of the sticks. Stafford more often throws it beyond the sticks by 5 yards. Point there is that although Stafford throws more INTs, he's attempting more difficult throws when it actually matters. 

So to get back to the throw against TB. Yes, Kirk can make that throw. But he is never attempting it. 
There's clearly a difference, going all the way back to one guy drafted first overall while the other was a fourth round project.

Regardless, my concern is KOC/KAM betting their new careers on Kirk.  He is not worth that big of a bet imo.

But their choices are KC, a draft pick not ready to play or one of: Mannion, Mond, Jameis, Trubisky or Mariota.

That last option feels like less than purgatory to me.  

@Riphawkins said:
@bigbone62 said:

Stafford

Cousins

Total TD’s 188

Can we sticky this post haha. The Great Kirk Debate is not black and white, and I don’t believe either “side” of the fanbase/fence is wrong. I think he’ll be back I just hope it’s not for too long and doesn’t preclude the Vikings from looking (re: drafting) a potential upgrade. If Mond is already that guy than dandy but he needs to show out in TC/PS for anyone to put stock in that. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Riphawkins said:
@bigbone62 said:

Stafford

Cousins

Total TD’s 188

But their choices are KC, a draft pick not ready to play or one of: Mannion, Mond, Jameis, Trubisky or Mariota.

I think there is a fine line they can try to thread by keeping Kirk and finding his replacement. There is the short-term and the long-term view and to your point not many "great" alternatives. 

In my mind the worst case scenario is you give up Kirk via trade without a known commodity to replace him. It just doesn't make sense. The fans will clamor "draft a franchise guy". Let me be blunt for a second, the chance you ultimately draft someone better than Kirk is like 20% or less. You should try but its no guarantee. 

The second worse case scenario is they simply throw their arms up in the air and say "well I guess we need to give Kirk whatever he wants". That really does you no good either since he wants >$40M a year fully guaranteed, again. It just doesn't allow you to spread the cap hits out the way you really need to for success. 

My best guess is that they look into drafting a QB this or next year. But they'll allow Kirk to play out the last year of his deal at $45M and spread the cap impact out a bit. You need to see Kirk in O'Connells offense before you give up on him. But I don't think you want to commit either. Play out the year and see where you are at. If you draft a QB, you can balance Kirk against a known alternative vs. the unknown. If you don't, well you have a better basis to really say if Kirk is or isn't the long-term QB. Its just easier to sign up for $40+M/yr with some success under the new coach. You run the risk of him going to free agency but if the Vikings will pay market rate a year from now there isn't much additional leverage to gain in that for Kirk. 

@purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Riphawkins said:
@bigbone62 said:

Stafford

Cousins

Total TD’s 188

I think there is a fine line they can try to thread by keeping Kirk and finding his replacement. There is the short-term and the long-term view and to your point not many "great" alternatives. 

In my mind the worst case scenario is you give up Kirk via trade without a known commodity to replace him. It just doesn't make sense. The fans will clamor "draft a franchise guy". Let me be blunt for a second, the chance you ultimately draft someone better than Kirk is like 20% or less. You should try but its no guarantee. 

The second worse case scenario is they simply throw their arms up in the air and say "well I guess we need to give Kirk whatever he wants". That really does you no good either since he wants >$40M a year fully guaranteed, again. It just doesn't allow you to spread the cap hits out the way you really need to for success. 

My best guess is that they look into drafting a QB this or next year. But they'll allow Kirk to play out the last year of his deal at $45M and spread the cap impact out a bit. You need to see Kirk in O'Connells offense before you give up on him. But I don't think you want to commit either. Play out the year and see where you are at. If you draft a QB, you can balance Kirk against a known alternative vs. the unknown. If you don't, well you have a better basis to really say if Kirk is or isn't the long-term QB. Its just easier to sign up for $40+M/yr with some success under the new coach. You run the risk of him going to free agency but if the Vikings will pay market rate a year from now there isn't much additional leverage to gain in that for Kirk. 
I hate the notion of letting him play out the contract and walking with no compensation at all at the end of 22.  what is his market in terms of picks in your opinion?  There are lots of speculation, but what are we really talking about here?

@"Geoff Nichols" Let's say we add a couple voidable years to the current contract to see what Cousins can do in KOC's scheme without making a long term commitment. How do those voidable years impact the ability to sign a new deal? Do the voided years accelerate into 2023? 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Riphawkins said:
@bigbone62 said:

Stafford

Cousins

Total TD’s 188

I hate the notion of letting him play out the contract and walking with no compensation at all at the end of 22.  what is his market in terms of picks in your opinion?  There are lots of speculation, but what are we really talking about here?

That would drive me crazy as well. The Vikings need to make him an extension offer they are comfortable with moving forward that's going to give then some cap flexibility to improve the roster. If Cousins declines and wants more than offered....then it's in the best interest for the team to trade him now and not risk him leaving in free agency for nothing. Because then we are screwed and probably would have won enough games where it puts us out of reach of next year's QB talent pool. 

I'd move him, and move him now. Take whatever draft picks we get plus the cap savings and rebuild this team. Roll with Mond for a year or whoever else we get in return as part of the trade to see if there is anything there moving forward, and if there isn't, you have probably lost enough games to where the team is drafting in the top 10 next season and can land one of those elite QB prospects. 

Quenstion;

Would you rather have as an example, Cousins on a high dollar extension for three more years...or would you rather trade him and acquire an extra top 20 first round pick this year, an extra high draft pick next year (possible 1st), and say CJ Stroud on a rookie deal that we'd draft with our own top 10 pick plus all the cap savings we'd have moving off Cousins contract? I'd take the latter option every day of the week. That's the smart play here and building this thing for the long term. Not strapping our salary cap over the next three or four years on QB in his mid 30's who isn't considered an elite player at his position. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

That would drive me crazy as well. The Vikings need to make him an extension offer they are comfortable with moving forward that's going to give then some cap flexibility to improve the roster. If Cousins declines and wants more than offered....then it's in the best interest for the team to trade him now and not risk him leaving in free agency for nothing. Because then we are screwed and probably would have won enough games where it puts us out of reach of next year's QB talent pool. 

I'd move him, and move him now. Take whatever draft picks we get plus the cap savings and rebuild this team. Roll with Mond for a year or whoever else we get in return as part of the trade to see if there is anything there moving forward, and if there isn't, you have probably lost enough games to where the team is drafting in the top 10 next season and can land one of those elite QB prospects. 

Quenstion;

Would you rather have as an example, Cousins on a high dollar extension for three more years...or would you rather trade him and acquire an extra top 20 first round pick this year, an extra high draft pick next year (possible 1st), and say CJ Stroud on a rookie deal that we'd draft with our own top 10 pick plus all the cap savings we'd have moving off Cousins contract? I'd take the latter option every day of the week. That's the smart play here and building this thing for the long term. Not strapping our salary cap over the next three or four years on QB in his mid 30's who isn't considered an elite player at his position. 
if Kirk would play for around 14% of the cap ( all in including bonuses and shit per year) ,  I think we could likely do some good with that and really kick ass with him as the QB for the next few years,  we would still need to be preparing for the future,  but it would really take the pressure off the new GM and HC to have that position solved for at least 3-4 years.  

the thing is,  all positions are going to want their slice of that new cap money, every position is going to want to reset their positional cap marks, so the notion that our cap situation will improve and we will be able handle KC at 40+ like he wants as well as rebuild the D and IOL enough to be competitive over the term of his new contract is IMO unlikely.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

Quenstion;

if Kirk would play for around 14% of the cap ( all in including bonuses and shit per year) ,  I think we could likely do some good with that and really kick ass with him as the QB for the next few years,  we would still need to be preparing for the future,  but it would really take the pressure off the new GM and HC to have that position solved for at least 3-4 years.  

the thing is,  all positions are going to want their slice of that new cap money, every position is going to want to reset their positional cap marks, so the notion that our cap situation will improve and we will be able handle KC at 40+ like he wants as well as rebuild the D and IOL enough to be competitive over the term of his new contract is IMO unlikely.  
Kirk is NOT going to give a hometown discount.  He is a mercenary, end of story.  He will want $40-45 million.

Fuck that, I'd pay a Minshew or Bridgewater half that and end up at .500 with better options and potential picks.