Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Cousins be resigned? (SPOILER ALERT.... NO!)
Gotta respect BOTH Kirk and the Vikings. 
Kirk went for the money and got paid.
Vikings held to their numbers and didn't budge.

We forget that the Vikings have greater knowledge of his medical status / rehab. and it's a far cry to throw a football on a tennis court to taking shots in the knees / ribs in the NFL at 39 years old.  Nonetheless I think he will do well......dammit.

Hard to root against a good guy like that

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"kmillard" said:
you would think the vikings would finalize a trade up in the draft relatively soon after this development. If they are actually contemplating a top rookie, you never know what they are thinking.
They won’t…and this offseason we’ll be a disaster. Sam fucking Darnold, here we come
Yeah, but think how exciting the 2025 draft will be when the Vikes get to pick somewhere in the top 5 - yay! Confused
With even shittier QB options. Can’t Wait

Nobody is saying Kirko is in Mahomes league, but I'll wager that Packer, Bears and Lions fans have a nice, warm inner peace today...

Kinda like I feel after the Pack get booted out of the playoffs. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"kmillard" said:
you would think the vikings would finalize a trade up in the draft relatively soon after this development. If they are actually contemplating a top rookie, you never know what they are thinking.
You act like this is an easy thing to do.....and history says this usually blows up in a franchise's face. Lots of teams need a new shiny rookie QB. Vikings are the back of the line picking #11. 

This is not a good moment for Viking's fans currently. They don't have shit for a QB right now and no guarantees at all come Draft day. 
Who said anything about it being easy? Going into draft night IF they are interested in a trade up isn't going to work. Who knows if they are? I said that in my original post. Vikings are in their current position because of terrible drafts and personnel management.

I don't hold any I'll will against Kirk.  He's a good dude and had a team willing to pay him.  Vikings didn't want to go that far in terms of years and total money (including guarantees). 

This just puts more pressure on us to find a short and long-term solution now.  Exciting, but bittersweet at that same time...  I would have rather had him here for the next year or two with a rookie waiting in the wings to have an easier transition.

So if we had signed Kirko to a Falcon like offer...

Does that mean no extensions for a JJ or Darrisaw?

I'm trying to understand this from the Vikings standpoint; in terms of guarantees and term

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
So if we had signed Kirko to a Falcon like offer...

Does that mean no extensions for a JJ or Darrisaw?

I'm trying to understand this from the Vikings standpoint; in terms of guarantees and term
Great question and hopefully Guru weighs in.
My wild speculation is that KAM simply doesn't want to hitch his GM career to an aging Kirk. Another year or maybe two? Okay. But even that year 2 may have been pushing it for KAM, and 4 years was seemingly off the table. Again, guessing. But if what I'm saying is true it's sorta hard to blame KAM.
I'm picturing Kevin Costner in the seminal classic Draft Day, saying he just wants one real shot to build his own team.

It was just really bad timing. I think any other year, Cousins probably takes the Vikings best offer. Atlanta just happened to check a ridiculous amount of the boxes: Cap space, a QB away, great OL, one good WR and the 8th pick to add another one, an owner who REALLY wanted him, Cousins many ties to the area...all that combined with a newish Vikings GM still itching to rebuild a young team in his image. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Tick tock.....

"If the #Vikings don't sign Kirk Cousins before March 13, they'll incur $28.5M in dead money from previous restructures on their 2024 salary cap. "

Does the dead cap to  Hunter and Davenport get tacked on as well if they're not resigned?

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Tick tock.....

"If the #Vikings don't sign Kirk Cousins before March 13, they'll incur $28.5M in dead money from previous restructures on their 2024 salary cap. "

Does the dead cap to  Hunter and Davenport get tacked on as well if they're not resigned?

Yes, we're rebuilding even if it is...competitively.