Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where will Kirk end up?
Nix is getting no love here huh?

I still feel strongly Kirk stays in Minnesota. Rumors are heating up heading into March. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I still feel strongly Kirk stays in Minnesota. Rumors are heating up heading into March. 
I'd feel better about it if Atlanta weren't such a perfect fit and if there weren't so many idiots in Minnesota media he and his family have got to be anxious to get away from...

[Image: 446uqhuylvo8.png]

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@TBro said:
You either sign him now, or let him walk in Free Agency. The Vikings aren't stupid enough to let all of his $28.5m dead cap hit go against this year's cap, and then try to sign him to a deal after that. You either get a deal done so you can spread that cap number over the next 2-3 years or move on. 
Its possible to make the cap implications (with the dead money) similar in 2024/25. But its not ideal since you'd only be pushing money into the future to make that possible. E.G you just take the dead money now and move it to 2026 in a different way. But the catch-22 is if they want to re-sign Kirk and keep his cap hits lower they'll be doing some of that anyways. Ideal to get a deal done before the contract voids. But I guess there is some world where they could still work something out. 
I think if Kirk gets to FA, and there’s any sort of market at all, he’s gone.

From the Vikings standpoint, not signing him before FA makes it difficult to sign other FAs without knowing what Kirk’s money and numbers will look like. Also I know money talks but if I’m a free agent, not sure Minnesota is a preferred destination if the Vikings are still playing footsy at the QB position. Especially for players looking at one or two year deals. Whatever happens, there’s almost no benefit for the Vikings to let Kirk test the waters if they truly want him back. At least no benefit I can see. 

Per Jeremy Fowler at ESPN;

"Cousins is not expected to take a hometown discount to stay in Minnesota. He has a very specific idea in mind for what he wants on his next contract and so far the Vikings have not made a contract offer that matches that." 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:

"Cousins is not expected to take a hometown discount to stay in Minnesota. He has a very specific idea in mind for what he wants on his next contract and so far the Vikings have not made a contract offer that matches that." 
This is still a bit of a game of chicken between the Vikings and Kirk. The Cousins camp has quite a bit of leverage and deservingly can sit back and ask for what they want from the Vikings. Everyone saw how they performed without Kirk and they have no shoe-in solution. Likewise, the Vikings continue to bet on the fact his market won't develop and he'll return on a "fair" deal.

Deadlines end up spurring action and the Vikings are ultimately going to have to show their card first: 

Since last year they had Kirk comfortably under contract and didn't need to do anything. So why offer a Kirk friendly deal at that point when they could just figure it out at the deadline leading up to free agency? I don't know if I want to say that is a "great" strategy. But the Vikings can basically finish this with single phone call if they absolutely want to. 

Actually letting this get to a week from tomorrow and allowing Kirk to freely negotiate in the marketplace is a different beast. At that point all bets are off and the Vikings are simply a single team competing for his services. 

From Kirks standpoint there is absolutely no reason to agree to a deal with the Vikings until the last moment, when he has to play his card, unless its the specific deal he is looking for. Which is what Fowler is implying here. 

Not much has arguably changed. QB needy teams will be interested in a top 10-12 QB. Kirk will continue to win the business side of football. We're just getting to the point where a hard deadline is going to spur some action. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:

Not much has arguably changed. QB needy teams will be interested in a top 10-12 QB. Kirk will continue to win the business side of football. We're just getting to the point where a hard deadline is going to spur some action. 
This sums it up, Geoff. Rhetoric will build also, actually seeing it already.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
He had a solid combine and boosted his draft stock. He might be the best of what's left if the Vikings stay at 11 assuming JJM goes in the top 10 with Williams, Maye, and Daniels. According to a post on X(Twitter), the Giants met with Nix once, and the Vikings met with him 5 times at the combine between the Scouts, Coaches, and the GM. Vikings are definitely interested. He is probably the most NFL ready QB in this draft. You can knock him for running a simplified offense at Oregon and mainly throwing 5 yard passes, but you can't deny he is one of the most accurate QB's in this class, reads and processes quickly, which is something KOC demands from his QB's and why he like Cousins so much. With the right System, can KOC take advantage of Nix's talents? Is he a good match to run KOC's offense? I think he is. My only question mark on Nix is his ability to drive the ball deep with accuracy. He had some really nice deep throws in Indy, and he also missed on a few. A lot of that is just timing with receivers you haven't played or practiced with. No question he had the arm talent and Jerimiah kept stressing that on the combine broadcast. He also adds mobility that Kirk doesn't have which opens up the play book. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@purplefaithful said:
He had a solid combine and boosted his draft stock. He might be the best of what's left if the Vikings stay at 11 assuming JJM goes in the top 10 with Williams, Maye, and Daniels. According to a post on X(Twitter), the Giants met with Nix once, and the Vikings met with him 5 times at the combine between the Scouts, Coaches, and the GM. Vikings are definitely interested. He is probably the most NFL ready QB in this draft. You can knock him for running a simplified offense at Oregon and mainly throwing 5 yard passes, but you can't deny he is one of the most accurate QB's in this class, reads and processes quickly, which is something KOC demands from his QB's and why he like Cousins so much. With the right System, can KOC take advantage of Nix's talents? Is he a good match to run KOC's offense? I think he is. My only question mark on Nix is his ability to drive the ball deep with accuracy. He had some really nice deep throws in Indy, and he also missed on a few. A lot of that is just timing with receivers you haven't played or practiced with. No question he had the arm talent and Jerimiah kept stressing that on the combine broadcast. He also adds mobility that Kirk doesn't have which opens up the play book. 
There is so much about this kid that screams "take me" 

Lots of traits you would want to start your NFL QB with.. Processing and accuracy being at/near the top. Deep ball I would hope is something that could improve with time. 

I am not draftnik, but I like him over Penix. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:

Shouldn't our Captn' Kirk start thinking about his NFL legacy starting about now?  The dude has made so much money, but still has quite a bit of a league wide crappy reputation as a legit "Star".  If his entire motivation as a player is all about making as much money as possible, none of that changes for him.
What if he did give the Vikes a nice hometown discount, and they used those savings to surround him with a better OL, RB, and WRs?  If he stayed, he could let himself be on a team with a rebuilt defense by resigning Hunter and going after other big name defenseive FAs.Maybe Kirk likes his spot on the couch in January and February so hoisting a SB trophy over his head just doesn't mean all that much.If he won't resign because he can make more somewhere else, screw him.  I would never bet he'd be winning a SB with his next team either.