• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jets meeting with Rodgers
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Packers got the better end of this for sure, but it was certainly always going to be this way when the Jets GM said weeks ago, 'we'll get this done'. They were all in and the Packers knew it. They've been talking since early March about this. 

The team hasn't seen much of Jordan Love actually playing live NFL football. But they were done with the Rodgers drama, I get it. 
I have a feeling Love is going to be pretty good. Kills me to say this, but the Packers have done this the right way. Rodgers got three years to develop. Love got three as well. 

In a perfect world, Cousins blows up in year two of the offense, we extend him and we're able to give our young QB as much time to develop. 
My feeling is he isn't. And the Packers can blow smoke until the cows come home but they don't know either. Its their opinion, impossible to know without shooting a lot more live bullets when it counts. Like any other QB, we won't know about Love until the end of NEXT season. Lots of full time, first time starters come out hot starting then flamed in Year 2 when the league got enough video on them. We'll see.
Just the fact that they let Rodgers walk makes me think they believe in him. If a QB doesn't have it in Green Bay, like Brohm or Kizer or Hundley, they've recognized it pretty early and moved on. They didn't move on from Love; they moved on from Rodgers. I think they like him. 

Not saying he'll be another Rodgers or Favre. That seems extremely unlikely. But I have a hunch he's going to be a very capable NFL QB. 
They moved on from Hundley and others because they still had Rodgers.  But Rodgers has been toying with them and not getting along, so they need to move on.  They are betting on an unknown.  If this was Hundley at this time in the career, they would be playing it the same.
Oh no I don't agree with that at all. I think they really like Love. Excited about him even.

But I do hope they're wrong on him, and end up taking a QB next year and beyond, jumping onto that QB carousel every team in the NFL has experienced EXCEPT Green Bay. I've said this before, but the last time the Packers were without a franchise QB, Herschel Walker was still on our roster and the Twins were world champions. TWO starting QBs over that time, not counting injury replacements. But there weren't many of those. 

There are teams like the Bears and Jets who have started over 50 QBs over that time period. Most due to injury, but that's a factor as well. Favre and Rodgers were remarkably durable. It's also one of the more underrated qualities of our current QB. 
So that durability, and their luck with the 2 QBs they have had doesn't make them good at recognizing talent.  They moved on because either the QB got a chance and sucked hard or came to the end of the rookie contract and wanted to go where he had a shot.

Obviously they say they are all in on Love, but what else can they say until they find out or draft a replacement.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Packers got the better end of this for sure, but it was certainly always going to be this way when the Jets GM said weeks ago, 'we'll get this done'. They were all in and the Packers knew it. They've been talking since early March about this. 

The team hasn't seen much of Jordan Love actually playing live NFL football. But they were done with the Rodgers drama, I get it. 
I have a feeling Love is going to be pretty good. Kills me to say this, but the Packers have done this the right way. Rodgers got three years to develop. Love got three as well. 

In a perfect world, Cousins blows up in year two of the offense, we extend him and we're able to give our young QB as much time to develop. 
My feeling is he isn't. And the Packers can blow smoke until the cows come home but they don't know either. Its their opinion, impossible to know without shooting a lot more live bullets when it counts. Like any other QB, we won't know about Love until the end of NEXT season. Lots of full time, first time starters come out hot starting then flamed in Year 2 when the league got enough video on them. We'll see.
Just the fact that they let Rodgers walk makes me think they believe in him. If a QB doesn't have it in Green Bay, like Brohm or Kizer or Hundley, they've recognized it pretty early and moved on. They didn't move on from Love; they moved on from Rodgers. I think they like him. 

Not saying he'll be another Rodgers or Favre. That seems extremely unlikely. But I have a hunch he's going to be a very capable NFL QB. 
They moved on from Hundley and others because they still had Rodgers.  But Rodgers has been toying with them and not getting along, so they need to move on.  They are betting on an unknown.  If this was Hundley at this time in the career, they would be playing it the same.
Oh no I don't agree with that at all. I think they really like Love. Excited about him even.

But I do hope they're wrong on him, and end up taking a QB next year and beyond, jumping onto that QB carousel every team in the NFL has experienced EXCEPT Green Bay. I've said this before, but the last time the Packers were without a franchise QB, Herschel Walker was still on our roster and the Twins were world champions. TWO starting QBs over that time, not counting injury replacements. But there weren't many of those. 

There are teams like the Bears and Jets who have started over 50 QBs over that time period. Most due to injury, but that's a factor as well. Favre and Rodgers were remarkably durable. It's also one of the more underrated qualities of our current QB. 
So that durability, and their luck with the 2 QBs they have had doesn't make them good at recognizing talent.  They moved on because either the QB got a chance and sucked hard or came to the end of the rookie contract and wanted to go where he had a shot.

Obviously they say they are all in on Love, but what else can they say until they find out or draft a replacement.
I'm not basing this on what they've said. And I don't think trading for Favre and drafting Rodgers makes them good at recognizing talent. They got lucky with Rodgers, a consensus top 2 pick, who fell all the way to 24. 

What they did do that I think was smart was draft Favre's replacement three years before he was done. And then did it again with Rodgers and Love. Even extending Rodgers after drafting Love. I'm actually hoping that's what the Vikings do. Draft a QB, then extend Cousins for a couple more years. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:

I'm not basing this on what they've said. And I don't think trading for Favre and drafting Rodgers makes them good at recognizing talent. They got lucky with Rodgers, a consensus top 2 pick, who fell all the way to 24. 

What they did do that I think was smart was draft Favre's replacement three years before he was done. And then did it again with Rodgers and Love. Even extending Rodgers after drafting Love. I'm actually hoping that's what the Vikings do. Draft a QB, then extend Cousins for a couple more years. 
I will agree with that.  Wish we had been doing that for the last decade or so.

I hope Vikes are evolving in Qb recognition and draft and develop well.  Stop this we'll kick that can down the road and hope one falls to us

Ps---Ef Kaaron and the Jets/Packers

Let's just hope that Love is perfectly "ok"....like Ponder ok...or even Bridgewater ok...not bad enough to tank the team and let the Pack draft another QB with a high draft choice....but not good enough to actually be dominant.  I'd even be good with him having a long and illustrious career with the Packers similar to that of Packer Hall of Famer Lynn Dickey (yep..seriously!)  who had a 45-63 record in 9 seasons.  God that team sucked back in the day.  And btw...we talk about 2 HOF QBs for GB...don't forget Starr.  That team has been blessed in the QB department.  I can only hope for mediocrity for some time to come.

Glad he's gone. Only hope Hackett can do for him what he did for Wilson, and that's the last I will mention Rodgers. Good riddance.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
What in the world?

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...4nkz418WZw&s=19
That is going to be quite the marriage.