Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Is Totally Out Of Control
Biden said the quiet part out loud.  The Administration is positively giddy about gas prices...as it helps speed transition to renewables even though we don't have enough renewables to replace fossil fuels...particularly with the supply chain the way it is

Quote: @"badgervike" said:
Biden said the quiet part out loud.  The Administration is positively giddy about gas prices...as it helps speed transition to renewables even though we don't have enough renewables to replace fossil fuels...particularly with the supply chain the way it is

Did you know we're set to close 40% of the coal and nuclear plants in the next 6 years.
We're all going to transition to electric cars that need a grid that we don't have or the power production to produce the electricity for them to be driveable in the first place. 

Geniuses I say.

The Federal Highway fund pays for 90% of the road repairs in the US.  It's already increasingly underfunded due to lack of adjustments for inflation.  How is the fund paid for?  Federal excise tax on gas and diesel.  So...in spite of EV's weighing an average of 750 pounds more than their gas powered equivalents and being subsidized just to purchase, the roads are being paid for by gas vehicles.  As more and more EVs replace gas vehicles, road funding will go down and down and road damage will go up and up.

Let's just say in our haste for renewables, maybe the plan isn't as well thought out as is SHOULD be.  And don't even get me started on disposal of EV batteries and the potential for an impending environmental crisis.  How about we don't subsidize these companies unless they have a plan for disposal / recycling?

I support a push to protect the environment...but what we're doing is destroying our economy on a half baked plan with capacity, technology and supply chain impediments.

FUN FACT for the day:  For those lobbying for more electric cars and such.   

MISO is projecting a 5 GIGAWatt shortage on the hot days this summer.  In case you are wondering what power grid pool you are part of:

[Image: map-overview-electric.jpg]

So in layman's terms,  you will be short the output equivalent of about 11 modern coal fired power plants like the one in Big Stone SD that feeds east.  Or in another manner,  about the output of 1250 huge commercial wind turbines, not those little pussy things most people envision,  I am talking about 500' tall monsters spinning away in at least 25-30 mph wind to produce the paltry 4 mega watts that they are rated to produce at peak conditions.  I really hope for the green people living in MISO area that the wind is blowing like hell in my back yard when your temps are spiking this summer.... but hey,  at least when you are sweltering in darkness,  you will sleep peacefully knowing that your car is "green",  no power to charge it for the ride to work tomorrow it made you feel good buying it, right?

Ok,  all honesty,  people need to wake up to reality,  our power grid and our country as a whole are not ready for the moves being made by Biden and the green people, it wont be those politiicians that are dying from heat exhaustion and other issues this summer in the midwest cities.  I am all for developing alternative power sources,  including electric vehicles,  but we need to be smarter about it.  What Biden and others are doing  is reckless and irresponsible,   now its no AC,  but how long before we are seeing more uncontrolled black/brown outs in the northern climates in the winter time, where many many more will suffer?

Lets fix the grid, lets put more focus on nuclear, and other forms of production that are not only cleaner,  but more stable.  Maybe more hydro electric is in order,  yes it will fuck up some river navigation,  yes it will affect spawning patterns for some species of fish, but the six dams on the missouri river have not only provided the equivalent of 5.5 Big Stone coal plants since the 1960s, they have also done a wonder to control the flooding that used to take place annually on the missouri river valley from ND all the way to St. Louis.  but before we cut our own throats we need to stabilize energy costs and production for today and for the people of now.

Quote: @"badgervike" said:
The Federal Highway fund pays for 90% of the road repairs in the US.  It's already increasingly underfunded due to lack of adjustments for inflation.  How is the fund paid for?  Federal excise tax on gas and diesel.  So...in spite of EV's weighing an average of 750 pounds more than their gas powered equivalents and being subsidized just to purchase, the roads are being paid for by gas vehicles.  As more and more EVs replace gas vehicles, road funding will go down and down and road damage will go up and up.

Let's just say in our haste for renewables, maybe the plan isn't as well thought out as is SHOULD be.  And don't even get me started on disposal of EV batteries and the potential for an impending environmental crisis.  How about we don't subsidize these companies unless they have a plan for disposal / recycling?

I support a push to protect the environment...but what we're doing is destroying our economy on a half baked plan with capacity, technology and supply chain impediments.
Those tiny tires on the EVs should handle the massive potholes just fine.

And to the other points about power, if the greenies actually cared about the environment they wouldn't be blocking nuclear plants.  

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"badgervike" said:

Those tiny tires on the EVs should handle the massive potholes just fine.

And to the other points about power, if the greenies actually cared about the environment they wouldn't be blocking nuclear plants.  
reality:  the only green that its about is the paper kind that they are lining their pockets with.  ( the politicians and those pushing much of these policies.)  there are those that are not in it for profit, so they can still be credited by being fueled by uninformed passion.

I’m hearing whispers of $8 diesel. 

I’ve also read about a DEF shortage. 1 tanker car is 5 million miles of semi traffic. 

We’re going to get strangled by our own .gov

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:

I’ve also read about a DEF shortage. 1 tanker car is 5 million miles of semi traffic. 

IMO, Nobody is this incompetent,   this has to be by design. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:

IMO, Nobody is this incompetent,   this has to be by design. 

Biden said as much.

“[When] it comes to the gas prices, we’re going through an incredible
transition that is taking place that, God willing, when it’s over, we’ll
be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil
fuels when this is over,” Biden said.