Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fool me Twice?
I can't for the life of me figure this Coaching Staff out. Straight vanilla Zone against a Chiefs team when everyone else was playing Man and doubling Hill and Kelce, and winning because of it. The same thing teams do to Thielen & Diggs.  Meanwhile, Stefanski leaves Elf singled up on by far their best Defender for most of the game.

But then they go to Dallas and BOTH sides of the ball have specific game plans that worked. Zimmer loaded the box and sold out to stop the run. Dallas was the best Offense in Football prior to that game because they could run it AND throw it. A nightmare combo for any DC. Mike took the run away even though it left his beloved Corners on  islands.

Stefanski comes out taking advantage of how aggressive the Cowboys Front 7 is by hitting them with screen after screen. And makes a critical in-game adjustment by having Ham lead on stretch plays to the edges instead of just between the Tackles.

Denver limps into town with a 3-6 record and a backup QB starting who hasn't been in the League long enough to earn the moniker of journeyman. And they rack up 20 points in the 1st half while the Broncos stuff the run.

That there was apparently no Denver-specific game planing is all the more astonishing after what they did in Dallas. Zimmer did nothing at all in the 1st Half to confuse an inexperienced QB. Reiff was singled up with Miller too many times. Stefanski seemed unprepared for the Broncos to do exactly what KC did to stop the run.

Top that all off with Cousins admitting that Stefanski didn't even commit to the hurry up until right before they left the Locker Room to start the 2nd Half. There was a high percentage chance they were going to trot out the same Offensive game plan that was a complete bust for the first 30 minutes of the game. Mind....Blown.

History tells us that Zimmer Coached Vikings teams come out of byes  flat. And they struggle on the road against teams with winning records. And they struggle in nationally televised games. And they struggle in prime time games. But they bucked all those trends in beating the Cowboys (except for the bye hangover part).

So who are these guys? Will Mike & Kevin trot out the same generic game plan against Seattle that they used against KC and Denver? Or will they come out with wrinkles specifically tailored to beat the SeaHags? 

Will the players come out flat like they have so many times during  Zimmer's tenure or will they have some fire in their bellies to start the game instead of after getting in a big hole? 

Who the F are these guys? I can use evidence to argue both ways but one thing is certain, they will fool me yet again.

I'm sure they had a gameplan, but when you have nothing to lose like a Denver team with a bad record and an inexperienced QB, they went off script and let it rip. KC has an innovative mind in Reid. Dallas was just stupid: even the players said Garrett did exactly what he always does, conservative and predictable (yet talented). To me, here's where its a positive: the team won 2 out of 3 of those games. Could have easily beaten KC on the road. I mean, the Vikings are 8-3. They are doing something right as of now.

I'm not claiming they don't have warts, they do. And in a one game situation, could be exposed by a playoff team. But who has kicked their ass this year? The Vikings are either dominating or hanging in there in a close game to the end. I don't trust them 100% but yet I see them being able to play with anyone also. They always have a slugger's chance. And they can beat you with a pass or a run, we see that now. 

Bottom line for me is simple: After a very well placed and timely bye week, they should be pretty damn healthy. They are deeply in playoff contention. 3 of the next 5 games at home. Cousins looks as good as anyone at QB. I'm not sure I could ask for that much more as it stands right now as a Minnesota fan. I have worries about the team, but what else is new?

To quote a certain QB: Why not us? I'm sure the other shoe is coming to drop, but until then f$%^ it. Let's ride. 

The big, gouging pass plays...and another Rhodes mugging penalty...was a throat punch in the first half and resulted in the Vikes batting their eyes like a toad in a hailstorm.  Give the Broncos credit...they weren't gonna let Cook and Cousins just chew up the clock and play from behind.

It already dropped: the Coaches coach just like Garrett 90% of the time. Zimmer always has wrinkles against Rodgers and Brees but seems content to use the same bland looks against virtually everyone else. 

Stefanski keeps running into stacked boxes like Homer Simpson touching a burner over and over and over again not expecting to get burnt.

The reality is that this may be Minnesota's best chance to go deep. Every NFC Contender has flaws. But the Vikings need aggressive coaching to cover their own warts. Which they only sporadically get.

This may also be their last window. Rhodes & EG are done. Smith is slowly declining. Waynes has regressed. This may not be a Top 10 Defense any more, let alone a Top 5 one. All the more reason to get aggressive.

I see Minnesota going 1 and Done and using tons of picks to fix the Defense. Cousin will be above average behind a decidedly average Line and they'll go 1 and Done again and sign him long-term. 9-7, 10-6, win one and then out in the Playoffs or just miss getting in. Rinse and repeat. Sounds very Marvin Lewis. And Mike coaches like him too.

Except when he coaches aggressively ala Parcells. We've seen him do it, so it's not like he is fundamentally opposed to that style of coaching. The question is will he commit to it in time to maximize this season's potential?

a win in seattle would be a little gift IMO.  that is the 4th (and final) loss I had for this team this year when I went through preseason.  I cringe when I think about what Wilson could do to our D the way they have been up and down,  but at the same time,  this D can still make QBs uncomfortable at times so who knows... any given Monday right?