Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positive Changes
lots of things on offense to be concerned about last night but hey on the bright side.... we won!

and the new instant replay process seemed to really speed up that time vampire ( although i dont think the call could have been much easier to make)  and the shorter halftime apparently was noticeable as well for those watching live.  i was making wings and doing some honey do's so I didnt get started until a little later so I just FF through it.

I really like the Cook screen game and also thought he ran well.  

The first sack was all on Remmers - he got burned.  But overall, I thought our starting OL was decent.  I saw a better run push from the group.  Also, the screen to Cook that picked up 9 yards they called a hold on Boone that did not happen so bad call but it was a nice screen that Boone got out in front of, the Bills player acted for the flag and got it.

On the second sack of Bradford Hill was beat around the end by Hughes (who is pretty good) and then Cook went with the fake and did not block hughes, otherwise Sam would have had time to scan the field.  Hill was beat from the get go but if Cook picked it up we would have had a nice pocket.

On defense, Harry ran blitzed and ran right past the RB for the Bills big run early...mistake that will be corrected.  Yes, Harry makes mistakes as well Smile not just Sandejo.  Zimmer said it clearly, we had guys running to the QB for the sack that didn't run contain...happened on several early plays from the Defense.  

Only watched the starters but I didn't see anything to be overly concerned about.  Again, liking the Cook screen game that will be developed this preseason.  I actually thought the OL looked pretty good with the exception of Remmers whiff.  

Quote: @minny65 said:

The first sack was all on Remmers - he got burned.  But overall, I thought our starting OL was decent.  I saw a better run push from the group.  Also, the screen to Cook that picked up 9 yards they called a hold on Boone that did not happen so bad call but it was a nice screen that Boone got out in front of, the Bills player acted for the flag and got it.

On the second sack of Bradford Hill was beat around the end by Hughes (who is pretty good) and then Cook went with the fake and did not block hughes, otherwise Sam would have had time to scan the field.  Hill was beat from the get go but if Cook picked it up we would have had a nice pocket.

On defense, Harry ran blitzed and ran right past the RB for the Bills big run early...mistake that will be corrected.  Yes, Harry makes mistakes as well Smile not just Sandejo.  Zimmer said it clearly, we had guys running to the QB for the sack that didn't run contain...happened on several early plays from the Defense.  

Only watched the starters but I didn't see anything to be overly concerned about.  Again, liking the Cook screen game that will be developed this preseason.  I actually thought the OL looked pretty good with the exception of Remmers whiff.  
I tend to agree with the positives and the negatives werent to big of an issue, but considering the OL track record of late,  i think i will still be concerned as the first unit had drive killing issues on each drive.  I think they are headed in the right direction but still have a ways to go.  I am not convinced yet that Remmers will be our starting RT on 911,  he just seems a little sketchy out there,  not sure who would replace him,  but I havent seen enough to be comfortable with him there yet.  ( i would still like to see Clemmings put over there to sink or swim as I think that would fit his skill set pretty well.)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:

I tend to agree with the positives and the negatives werent to big of an issue, but considering the OL track record of late,  i think i will still be concerned as the first unit had drive killing issues on each drive.  I think they are headed in the right direction but still have a ways to go.  I am not convinced yet that Remmers will be our starting RT on 911,  he just seems a little sketchy out there,  not sure who would replace him,  but I havent seen enough to be comfortable with him there yet.  ( i would still like to see Clemmings put over there to sink or swim as I think that would fit his skill set pretty well.)
Yea, Remmers is still a work-in-progress.  I watched the guy I wanted us to draft to play RT who I eventually thought could maybe move LT.  I really wanted him - Dawkins from Temple - He was the Bills RT and played really well for a first game!  I didn't expect the move up for Cook and can understand it but I really wanted to come away with 2 Tackles from this draft and we ended up with zip.  I advocated and would have loved a move up for Dawkins who went to the Bills at the end of round 2 - so we would have had to move up from our 3rd rounder.

Back to what we have and not what I wanted Smile

I stated before that I am somewhat befuddled by our offseason and the whole OL.  Tackles are premo and I would have put a weighing system in place where you almost over grade Tackles in the realm of QB's - that is where I see the LT position with RT right behind.   I also thought we were OK with Easton in the middle/berger backup and I was then surprised with the Elflein pick.  One game but he was not good but seriously too early to judge any of this but the whole Offseason along the line was not what I expected or predicted.  

My original thoughts and plans were as follows:

I really wanted Whitworth - who ended up doing a 2 year deal with the Rams - He was a surprise that the Bengals even let him go and I didn't hear hardly any rumors of teams who he was talking too - just bam to the RamsSmile
His contract was very doable but we will never know maybe he had zero interest in coming here???

I also wanted Reiff because of his versatility at RT and LT - so we did get him from my list.  I also thought that Wagner, who replaced Reiff at RT, was overvalued.  But we were very hot for him but missed out.  The Lions made him the highest paid RT while we paid Reiff LT money - so you can see the Lions weren't going to pay Reiff LT money but we did.  I don't have a problem with that because everyone is going to have to overpay for LT big time now and into the future.  The Vikings know Reiff so we must be convinced that he is our LT for the next 5 years.  Hope so!  But I was hoping Whitworth for 2 years at LT - Reiff at RT - and draft Dawkins in the second and have him compete at those Tackles and eventually either be RT sliding Reiff over or best man win after Whitworth's 2 years.  

Oh well, back to what we actually did:

I am not sure about Remmers at RT - again he is another player we had in camp years ago so we should have had good knowledge like competing against Reiff twice a year at both Tackle positions - you can't say we didn't know what we were getting.  

I am hoping Elflein can morph into a younger swing guy like Berger.  But I am hoping easton wins the Center position and Elflein fights for RG.  

On the "other angle slow mo" replay Boone had a handful of chest jersey as the defender was turning towards a running Cook.  Looked like a hold to me even though it didn't at first.  If Cook goes outside of Boone, that never happens and he has a WR blocking too.  The route he picked was straight into an unblocked defender.  While obviously, if the lineman was wearing green and yellow that flag wouldn't have come out but you know if a packer lineman has a handful of jersey as a Viking defender is trying to separate, we'd be screaming for a flag.   

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:

Yea, Remmers is still a work-in-progress.  I watched the guy I wanted us to draft to play RT who I eventually thought could maybe move LT.  I really wanted him - Dawkins from Temple - He was the Bills RT and played really well for a first game!  I didn't expect the move up for Cook and can understand it but I really wanted to come away with 2 Tackles from this draft and we ended up with zip.  I advocated and would have loved a move up for Dawkins who went to the Bills at the end of round 2 - so we would have had to move up from our 3rd rounder.

I stated before that I am somewhat befuddled by our offseason and the whole OL.  Tackles are premo and I would have put a weighing system in place where you almost over grade Tackles in the realm of QB's - that is where I see the LT position with RT right behind.   I also thought we were OK with Easton in the middle/berger backup and I was then surprised with the Elflein pick.  One game but he was not good but seriously too early to judge any of this but the whole Offseason along the line was not what I expected or predicted.  

I really wanted Whitworth - who ended up doing a 2 year deal with the Rams - He was a surprise that the Bengals even let him go and I didn't hear hardly any rumors of teams who he was talking too - just bam to the RamsSmile
His contract was very doable but we will never know maybe he had zero interest in coming here???

I also wanted Reiff because of his versatility at RT and LT - so we did get him from my list.  I also thought that Wagner, who replaced Reiff at RT, was overvalued.  But we were very hot for him but missed out.  The Lions made him the highest paid RT while we paid Reiff LT money - so you can see the Lions weren't going to pay Reiff LT money but we did.  I don't have a problem with that because everyone is going to have to overpay for LT big time now and into the future.  The Vikings know Reiff so we must be convinced that he is our LT for the next 5 years.  Hope so!  But I was hoping Whitworth for 2 years at LT - Reiff at RT - and draft Dawkins in the second and have him compete at those Tackles and eventually either be RT sliding Reiff over or best man win after Whitworth's 2 years.  

I am not sure about Remmers at RT - again he is another player we had in camp years ago so we should have had good knowledge like competing against Reiff twice a year at both Tackle positions - you can't say we didn't know what we were getting.  

I am hoping Elflein can morph into a younger swing guy like Berger.  But I am hoping easton wins the Center position and Elflein fights for RG.  

We offered Whitworth more money than what he signed for in LA.  Word was that his wife was hot for LA and likely cold on Minneapolis.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:

We offered Whitworth more money than what he signed for in LA.  Word was that his wife was hot for LA and likely cold on Minneapolis.
Damn that sucks.  I did not hear that.  I guess it's time for the Rolling Stones "you can't always get what you want...but...."

Whitworth said recently that he wanted to get away from Cincy and anything that resembled it.  So I think it's more he didn't want to come to minn because of the cincy connection.  That's the way I read the article anyway.

I can't find the article now though...

Quote: @twgerber said:
Whitworth said recently that he wanted to get away from Cincy and anything that resembled it.  So I think it's more he didn't want to come to minn because of the cincy connection.  That's the way I read the article anyway.

I can't find the article now though...
Could be,  but I doubt he was going to say his wife made him do it. :p