Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings coaches have high hopes for Trae Waynes at cornerback
Waynes improved last year in his second season, spelling both Xavier Rhodes and Terence Newman with 11 pass deflections and three interceptions in eight starts. Throughout this offseason, Waynes has been in the starting lineup, a promotion the Vikings hope turns into more growth.
“I think he’s where Xavier was two years ago,” defensive backs coach Jerry Gray said. “He was close to making plays and now this is your chance to start. OK, can you take that next step? Can you go from being close to making the interception?”
The Vikings have eased in Waynes, the highest-drafted defensive back in franchise history at 11th overall, with special teams work and 774 defensive snaps in his two seasons. Still, Waynes’ position coach isn’t shying away from expectations for him.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-coach...439329353/

I like Waynes. I know he's had his ups and downs, but he's full of talent and athleticism. Super fast. 

I was a huge Waynes supporter coming out. I think he was the perfect CB for Zimmer and his system. A guy that will listen with size, speed, and athleticism

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I like Waynes. I know he's had his ups and downs, but he's full of talent and athleticism. Super fast. 
I'm still really bullish on his upside.  I don't think he will ever be as "good" as Rhodes, but he has the ability to be a very good CB.  Fans forget that it took Rhodes 3 years to figure out how to keep his hands off WRs and 4 years to learn how to get interceptions instead of batting down passes.  Waynes is on a similar trajectory and I'm expecting him to make another big jump this season.

Still not sold. Still seems to rely on talent more than skill, and doesn't seem to be a guy that will ever care if he becomes a fan favorite. This is an entertainment industry kid, maybe you could at least give it a shot to act like you care about the butts in the seats.