Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jones released
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
I agree that keeping a dozen DTs, most of whom have shown next to nothing in real games, at the expense of O-Line depth is a headscratcher.

Several thoughts:
1. Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes haven't shown Zimmer enough and he feels he needs Hercules and Watts as insurance. And doesn't care about O-Line depth.

2. In the Coaching Staff's view Edison is close enough to Jones production-wise and isn't costing the team a roster spot or the same level of cap hit.

3. Dakota Dozier is ready to step in at LG and Stefanski, Kubiak and Dennison feel like that's their best 5 if Bradbury goes down.

4. They already sent Garrett to Siberia for some Rocky 5 style training and have determined that he's unbreakable.

I think #1 is the most likely followed closely by #3. Not ruling out #4 after what I saw Bradbury do against Dextet Lawrence and Christian Wilkins, though.
Johnson and Holmes are the head scratchers here,  neither have made any sort of splash yet there they are again.  I was betting one or both would have been replaced with cast offs from some other team at cut down time last weekend.  Our DT situation is somewhat concerning IMO.
I was mildly surprised Jaleel made the 53. I thought he was right on the line and Watts had beat him out on preseason play. I don't think Watts would have made it through waivers unclaimed FWIW so I think that necessitated him staying on the roster. I also think they want to retain Hercules potential since he will be a matchup nightmare if he can gain a bit more weight. 

I really don't know what to think about Jalyn Holmes since I think he is too stiff. Which is why they moved him inside to 3-tech. But he does have untapped potential and the coaching staff seems to like that. 
So why not cut an RB so Zim can keep his treasure trove of underperforming DTs? Not seeing the logic behind cutting valuable veteran depth in the O-Line.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
I agree that keeping a dozen DTs, most of whom have shown next to nothing in real games, at the expense of O-Line depth is a headscratcher.

Several thoughts:
1. Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes haven't shown Zimmer enough and he feels he needs Hercules and Watts as insurance. And doesn't care about O-Line depth.

2. In the Coaching Staff's view Edison is close enough to Jones production-wise and isn't costing the team a roster spot or the same level of cap hit.

3. Dakota Dozier is ready to step in at LG and Stefanski, Kubiak and Dennison feel like that's their best 5 if Bradbury goes down.

4. They already sent Garrett to Siberia for some Rocky 5 style training and have determined that he's unbreakable.

I think #1 is the most likely followed closely by #3. Not ruling out #4 after what I saw Bradbury do against Dextet Lawrence and Christian Wilkins, though.
Johnson and Holmes are the head scratchers here,  neither have made any sort of splash yet there they are again.  I was betting one or both would have been replaced with cast offs from some other team at cut down time last weekend.  Our DT situation is somewhat concerning IMO.
I was mildly surprised Jaleel made the 53. I thought he was right on the line and Watts had beat him out on preseason play. I don't think Watts would have made it through waivers unclaimed FWIW so I think that necessitated him staying on the roster. I also think they want to retain Hercules potential since he will be a matchup nightmare if he can gain a bit more weight. 

I really don't know what to think about Jalyn Holmes since I think he is too stiff. Which is why they moved him inside to 3-tech. But he does have untapped potential and the coaching staff seems to like that. 
So why not cut an RB so Zim can keep his treasure trove of underperforming DTs? Not seeing the logic behind cutting valuable veteran depth in the O-Line.
Because our best RB is often injured??  As much as we'd like to think RBs grow on trees Abdullah would have been picked up by someone.  It was a no brainer on Matison and Boone.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@FSUVike said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:

Several thoughts:

Because our best RB is often injured??  As much as we'd like to think RBs grow on trees Abdullah would have been picked up by someone.  It was a no brainer on Matison and Boone.
so we still have 2 more before we would need Abdullah and we have Ham who can take snaps at RB and Blasingame on the PS,  imgaine Blasingame and Ham in at the same time.