Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings rookie center Garrett Bradbury will butt heads anytime
Wolfpack coach Dave Doeren’s staff first saw Bradbury on high school baseball film; he was an athletic power hitter and sure-handed catcher. Doeren recruited Bradbury as a 240-pound blocking tight end, but ankle and shoulder injuries led to a redshirt freshman season. Bradbury then gained about 40 pounds, eating junk food when rehab limited his workouts.
“He got pretty big,” Doeren said.
So Bradbury returned as a redshirt freshman nose tackle, embarking on an eight-month offseason with a stacked defensive line featuring Bradley Chubb, B.J. Hill, Justin Jones and Kentavius Street — all 2018 NFL draft picks. That Wolfpack defensive line room is where Bradbury said he learned to treat football like a profession, absorbing lessons from future NFL players about offensive tendencies and how to eat and train properly.
“That changed the trajectory of my college career,” Bradbury said.
Then Doeren asked Bradbury to change positions again, this time to an offensive line that offered him opportunities to start. Bradbury didn’t want to do it at first, but his athleticism — eventually — made him an immediate fit at guard and eventually at center. At the NFL combine, he was third in the 40-yard dash (4.92 seconds) and first in the three-cone drill (7.41 seconds) among offensive linemen.
“Garrett, from center, can reach a three-technique [defensive tackle who lines up outside a guard] with ease,” Doeren said. “You’re not supposed to be able to do that.”

Teammates say they’re more impressed by Bradbury’s football IQ as a rookie. He has proven adept at understanding why linebackers fit the way they do against a running play, or why safeties cheat toward one hash mark or another, or why a nickel corner might align inside or outside the slot.
“He’s picking up the offense well and he’s taking control of it,” said starting left guard Pat Elflein, whom Bradbury replaced at center. “That’s a big cornerstone, when you take control and you’re confident in your calls. I can see him doing that. He’s displaying confidence, which is good.”
Bradbury’s interest in football’s finer points arose midway through his N.C. State career, when he started telling coaches he, too, wants to be a football coach when his playing days are done.
“That’s stuff I’m going to continue to want to learn,” Bradbury said. “Brett Jones, another center, hearing the way he thinks … I’m just like, ‘Wow, these guys are so far ahead of me in terms of football IQ and understanding the game.’ I’m excited about how much I can grow and how much work I still have to do.”