Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Vikings figure out a way to sign Gerald McCoy?
https://thevikingage.com/2019/05/22/shou...ign-mccoy/
The All-Pro defensive tackle recently became a free agent and he would be a great addition to the defense of the Minnesota Vikings in 2019.On the defensive side of the ball, the Minnesota Vikings are pretty much set for 2019. But at the same time, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer has never been one to shy away from adding another weapon to his defense.

Could we pay him in gum wrappers and pocket lint?

Should they? Absolutely not. They already chose to keep their own over-30 DL with question marks. And it has already been proven that "one more defensive star" won't push us over the top.
Will they? Can't rule it out because I don't think Zimmer believes what I said above.

Hell to thee NO!
Like the guy but no.

Quote: @Zanary said:
Could we pay him in gum wrappers and pocket lint?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO6-WdT8HKAMsFxrBNGkg...ZLs6XImZZj] 

I think they'd love to have him. He'd be a great fit in our defense. But only way it happens is if someone gets traded or released, which in my opinion is still very much on the table with guys like Rudolph and Waynes.

It would be great to upgrade at DT, but it's not remotely realistic given our cap situation since even if we work something out with Rudolph, we still need retain a few million buffer for injuries. As for the question of whether I'd take McCoy over Waynes. It would be very tempting, but with Hughes coming off a torn ACL and Hill suspended for the first 4 games, I think we would be better off keeping Waynes even if McCoy is a better player.

He was due to make $13 million in base salary this season and it looks a bit like the Kyle Rudolph situation. Tampa was in a position to release him without any guaranteed money on the table and recoup a very large chunk of cap space. They put off releasing him until they were able to come to terms with Suh.

I think we'd have to do more than release Rudolph to be able to afford him. I think McCoy will make more than Sheldon Richardson, who signed a deal that pays him a $8 million dollar base and a $1.666 million dollar bonus in 2019. I'm thinking we'd have to print out a second Linval Joseph contract for McCoy to sign here, at least. 

Ok I'm going to dig this one back out because of something I've been hearing down here the last couple days. The Bucs let go of McCoy mostly for cap space....ok??? However they give that space to Suh. So now I'm hearing they wanted to change the teams mentality. Ok again. To what??? They might have lost JPP for the year to another of his off season mishaps. The best player on a bad defense for years is shown the door and your answer to changing the mentality is Suh?? McCoy was not what he used to be but he never was what Suh is. I'm so glad this is not my team. Oh and McCoy is visiting the Panthers next who just cleared some cap space for some reason.

Great man for the community,  but I don't think he's got much left...last time Stephens started for us, we had a good D...and I like the young guys too...