Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At some point, the Vikings are going to lose George Paton....
The #Jets have added two more names to their GM request list: #Vikings assistant GM George Paton and #Seahawks Co-Director of Player Personnel Scott Fitterer were requested, source said. They join Joe Douglas (#Eagles) and Champ Kelly (#Bears) on NYJ’s list so far.

Surprised it hasn't happened already. Guess it kind of shows how much he must like it here...but he'd be smart to wait for the right job to open up, and the Jets ain't it.

He's been a hot name for years. In the past he's always turned them down, but I recently read where he's actually open to leaving this year if the right opportunity came along. Hard to say if the Jets would be that team. On one side, the Jets are a dumpster fire, but I don't think the problem is ownership as much as its been the GMs and head coaches they've had. With a good young QB to build around, Paton could see it as a grand opportunity to turn around a franchise.  

I'm also surprised Paton is still here. The only way to keep him is if Brez is retiring soon and Paton has been promised the back-fill.

I learned in the corporate recruiting wars to not underestimate the power of the corporate culture, future growth opportunity and geography too...In this case, all 3 may work to the Vikings favor. 

Why is he considered a hot name?

I wonder how attractive any GM job is at the point of the offseason. They'll be asked to put a stamp on what exists through a season before getting that free slate. I also can picture the possibility of a new GM getting railroaded by a bad season from the existing squad, who'd want to be a part of that? Just guys who are begging for a door to open, i'd say...

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
I wonder how attractive any GM job is at the point of the offseason. They'll be asked to put a stamp on what exists through a season before getting that free slate. I also can picture the possibility of a new GM getting railroaded by a bad season from the existing squad, who'd want to be a part of that? Just guys who are begging for a door to open, i'd say...
This would be a great time to take the job.  You basically have a full season to evaluate and make moves to set up your first offseason.   Anything that happens this year is on the old regime. 

Quote: @comet52 said:
Probably because the League generally hold the Vikings Front Office in higher regards than most Vikings fans.

He has already turned the Jets GM interviews down twice, third time the charm...?  Wink 

Quote: @comet52 said:

He's been mentioned for every other GM job for about a half decade now.