Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oli, Oli, Oli...Oli
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
He held his own in the senior bowl practices, so I like his chances to land on the PS...Maybe fourth T...
Practice squad, doable. Full time roster this year? No way, IMO. 
No doubt, the Vikings would love to keep him on the practice squad for a year or two, but let's not forget we lost a promising 6th round prospect last year in Colby Gossett by putting him on the PS. Chargers signed him late last year and not only put him on their active roster, but put him in the starting lineup for 5 games.

Considering all his pre-draft hype, Udoh might be even harder to keep. 
I don't think we're in much of a position to worry about that.  Gossett went to the Cardinals because their OLine was worse than ours, not because he was good.  Udoh might be promising, but I just don't see us jettisoning Collins or Hill to give him a roster spot.  I think you just got to put him on the practice squad and see what happens.
Gossett went to the Cards to cover an injury. He was also probably my favorite pick in our entire draft last year.

No, of course it's not likely that Udoh beats out Hill or Collins, but it all depends on what happens in training camp, doesn't it? Remember, just two years ago, Collins was a high-upside, developmental player the Vikings chose to put on their active roster over more experienced linemen. Probably because they didn't want to expose him. 

There are late round picks that are swings at the plate. Boyd and Mitchell are like that. They're either going to show that they can play in the NFL or they won't. And you're going to know that fairly soon.  And then there are developmental picks. That's what Udoh is. And the Vikings can't afford to keep losing players like that, especially on the offensive line. 

Gossett missed most of training camp last year with an injury. Vikings should have just put him on IR. Hell, the Patriots do it all the time. 

Green Bay does it too.  When Rodgers came off I.R. from his broken collar (Thank you Anthony Barr), he played one game which the Packers lost and were out of the playoff race.  Rodgers went straight back to the I.R. without an explanation of why.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
Why not keep 10 O-Linemen for a change? Reiff, Elf, Bradbury, Kline, O'Neill, Samia, Collins, Hill, Jones/Dozier, and Udoh.
But then we couldn't keep 9 DL and 11 DBs!! Don't you know those are the units that need to be carefully nurtured and protected??

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"FSUVike" said:
Why not keep 10 O-Linemen for a change? Reiff, Elf, Bradbury, Kline, O'Neill, Samia, Collins, Hill, Jones/Dozier, and Udoh.
But then we couldn't keep 9 DL and 11 DBs!! Don't you know those are the units that need to be carefully nurtured and protected??
Well with Sherels no longer taking up a "DB" spot, maybe we keep one less this time and use it for the OL (you know, the unit where we have a season-ending injury EVERY FREAKING YEAR)