Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Just taking a quick peek in from Montana
Hey gang, I've been pretty MIA the last several months, as the Montana hops business has taken me places that I never would have dreamed.

In the last 8 months, I've been either speaking or at trade shows in Curitiba/Sao Paulo, Brazil, Nürnberg, Germany, Dublin/Waterford, Ireland, Denver, Monterey, San Diego, Chicago, and next weekend, I go to Shanghai, where I'll be speaking at the Craft Beer China trade show, and in July, I go to Slovenia for the International Hop Growers Congress, and back to Germany in November.  It has been a wild ride.  My frequent flyer miles accounts have been accruing  as well. :-)

The Trophy Wife, who has never been a fan of hops (if I was growing Chardonnay grapes, that would have piqued her interest), is finally sitting back and going "whoooaaaa, something is happening here".

I have occasionally kept a side eye on Vikings news, but no real time to engage here.  Yeah, I miss most of y'all, but I know you'll be here when I get a breather.  

In the meantime, I have a couple minor observations:  
  • Spielman was in his element trading down and up in the draft.  Gone are the days of 20-22 UDFAs, you'll notice...he got his extra picks in the late rounds, and only had to sign 10 UDFAs.  Not a sexy draft, just solid.
  • After much thought, I've decided that BPA never makes sense.  You always have needs.  If you don't draft to fill varying degree of needs (or future planning), what the heck are you doing?  I have noticed a bit more "need-based" drafting in recent years, rather than simply BPA on the board.  I support that, at least at the top half of the draft.
  • Tickled with the Bradbury & Samia picks.  Our OL got better, with Elf moving over, most likely.  No excuses for Cousins this year.  Decent depth as well now. Replace Remmers & his contract of desperation next year.
  • My prediction:  30-year old Rudy will take a cut in pay for this season, freeing up a portion of what they need to sign rookies, but they will have to take from somewhere else to make ends meet.  See if I'm right or wrong.  
  • Shamar Stephen is not Sheldon Richardson.  Just sayin'
So I will continue to check in and/or stalk here from time to time, but life has taken me on a different journey, and I better pay attention, lest I get bucked off.
Cheers from Montana.

Glad to see you stop by for a brief visit.  Always enjoy your seasoned and rational takes.
As to your observations, just want to highlight the last one.  Richardson wasn't worth the money, but you are correct, we did nothing to replace him.  Is JJ ready to step up?  I hope we don't try the previously failed Tom Johnson starting experience again. 

Good to hear from you Tom. Is it the hop extract or oil side that is keeping you so busy? Congrats on that.
I agree with your observations on the draft for the most part. I'm not sure the cap money will come from Rudy, but I'm sure they already have a plan in place to bring cap relief.
Regarding the line, I like what they have done but I worry about Kline. He's paid as a starter so hopefully he fits the scheme and plays well. This team seems to play people they pay, even when they don't perform all that well.
Fortunately they have Samia as an additional potential starter in case of injury or if Kline doesn't work out.
I think how Kline plays will be the key to how good this line will be.
Safe travels.

Hi guys.  Jargo, it's the distilled hop oil, and the blends we do, that is keeping me quite busy internationally.  We sell more in S. Korea than we sell in Montana...go figure.  I guess its the "50 miles and carry a briefcase" factor that makes us an expert outside of our home territory.  I'm cool with that.

Greed, I'm not sure that Richardson wasn't worth the money or not, but I will say that there was no way on God's Green Earth that Brez could pull a rabbit out of the hat and find the cap space to re-sign him.  It's the business side that drove that decision.  That's why the whole cap thing is such a great playing field leveler, which prevents the equivalent of the Yankees from outspending small market teams.  Any given Sunday.

Great to hear from you, Tom.  One day when I grow up, and want to be you.  You're doing great and living the dream!  B)

Hey Big Sky!  Good to hear from you and am happy to hear the hops is working out for you.  I remember how excited you were when you were first looking into it.  Always nice to see peoples gambles pay off.  Be well brother.