Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irv Smith (I love this)
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
It's funny how many people are excited for this pick when I don't think I heard his name mentioned pre draft.
Well... considering how many people wanted to go OL with our first two picks, it never really came up as a discussion point...  LOL

On a more serious note, he was a late first/early 2nd round projection.  He didn't even seem like a legit option for us because if we went OL in the first round, I personally didn't think he'd make it to 50 and I figured the Vikings would go a different direction (DT, DE, etc) with their next pick.  On the flip side, if we didn't take an OL in the first, it was a given that we would be looking at maneuvering ourselves to get an OL with their our second pick.  Considering all that, it just didn't seem realistic that the Vikings would be able to draft this guy at all and would look at TE later in the draft.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with how it all played out.  

Loved that moment. I even started cheering along with them!
He looks fast. As mentioned, faster than his 40 time. He should be an instant contributor to the new offense.
Good pick.

It's funny how many people are excited for this pick when I don't think I heard his name mentioned pre draft.
Only because you weren't paying attention, Jimmy . :-)

https://vikefans.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/66072

"TE is different. There's a group of three at the top. Hockenson, Irv Smith, who I like more than any of them, and Fant. There's a bit of a drop there and then there's a group of like 10 or 12 TEs that all have middle round grades. That's where we should tap into it if at all."

The two things I consistently mentioned was getting a receiver who could make defenses pay for doubling our WRs and a RB Day two...almost positive I was the only one with a RB Day Two...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
The two things I consistently mentioned was getting a receiver who could make defenses pay for doubling our WRs and a RB Day two...almost positive I was the only one with a RB Day Two...
I remember you saying that because I thought it was a little early to look at RB2...  but your prediction was spot on.

BOOM

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I remember you saying that because I thought it was a little early to look at RB2...  but your prediction was spot on.

BOOM
I still think it was a little early for RB. So conflicted about the Mattison pick. On the one hand you have what looks like a talent everybody and his brother was sleeping on. On the other, we trade down three times while Nate Davis, Khalen Saunders, Trey Pipkins, Bobby Evans, and Yodny Cajuste go off the board. 

As much as I love Oli Udoh's upside, I think I'd rather have Yodny Cajuste and a 6th round back than Mattison and Oli Udoh. Here's to hoping I'm dead wrong about that. 

I get that the Vikings didn't want a Cook backup, but rather a 1-2 punch, a Murray replacement. Just think now more than ever backs are a dime a dozen...especially when almost every year you see a half dozen 7th-round and undrafted backs like Chris Carson, Matt Brieda, and CJ Anderson come in for starters and not miss a beat. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:

BOOM
I still think it was a little early for RB. So conflicted about the Mattison pick. On the one hand you have what looks like a talent everybody and his brother was sleeping on. On the other, we trade down three times while Nate Davis, Khalen Saunders, Trey Pipkins, Bobby Evans, and Yodny Cajuste go off the board. 

As much as I love Oli Udoh's upside, I think I'd rather have Yodny Cajuste and a 6th round back than Mattison and Oli Udoh. Here's to hoping I'm dead wrong about that. 

I get that the Vikings didn't want a Cook backup, but rather a 1-2 punch, a Murray replacement. Just think now more than ever backs are a dime a dozen...especially when almost every year you see a half dozen 7th-round and undrafted backs like Chris Carson, Matt Brieda, and CJ Anderson come in for starters and not miss a beat. 

All good points Maroon...but I'm just ecstatic that the Vikings addressed the glaring weaknesses, such as offensive line, running back and receiver regardless of their draft position.  If these players are the ones that the Vikings feel can help this team get a lot better, I'm all in and on board. 

if they honestly got guys they liked and can use... who am I to judge the cake by the recipe card?  its not like they took total bums or guys that are red flags with their early picks.  a year ago half the fans were blowing up over a CB that 4 months later they were gushing over and talking about him starting opposite of Rhodes.

This is not a new comp but after looking at their metrics side by side it's amazing how similar Irv is to Jordan Reed. 

Irv: 6-2, 242, 4.6 forty
Reed: 6-2, 245, 4.7 forty

Reed has slightly better jump numbers, but he's not the blocker that Irv is either. Reed was Cousins favorite target in Washington. Irv should look like his twin down the field.