Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guard Samia Studied Up On Minnesota

Dru Samia had been studying up on Minnesota, and that’s where he ended up Saturday.
The Vikings added more depth to the offensive line with the selection of the Oklahoma guard in the fourth round of the NFL draft. Samia had been told by his agent before the draft that the Vikings really liked him.
“Throughout this entire process, I was kind of thinking, ‘Minnesota’s probably going to be the spot,”’ Samia said. “I didn’t know anything about Minnesota to begin with. I was like, ‘Where is Minneapolis?”‘
Samia went with the No. 114 overall selection, a pick that originally belonged to Seattle. To get the pick, the Vikings traded the No. 120 selection in the fourth round and the No. 204 pick in the sixth round.
In the fifth round Saturday, the Vikings took USC inside linebacker Cameron Smith with the No. 162 overall pick. Smith is not regarded as a great athlete but he’s considered a reliable run defender who might come out on third downs.
Samia is very athletic. He played on a talented offensive line that protected Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Kyler Murray, who went to Arizona with the No. 1 pick in the draft. Four of those offensive linemen were taken in the first four rounds of the draft.
Samia played right guard the past two seasons the past two seasons after being a right tackle the two before that. He said he “probably 100 percent” will be a guard with the Vikings.
“It’s been a long process, but I’m very happy to be a Minnesota Viking,” Samia said. “I’m very excited to join this franchise and take this offensive line where it needs to be, and I’m excited to get back on the field.”
https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/27/vikings-take-oklahoma-guard-dru-samia-in-fourth-round-usc-lb-cameron-smith-in-fifth/