Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Duh
So now Samsung is warning profits may be off 60%

When buying a new smart phone every couple of years for $200 changed to $800-$1000?

Game changed...

Declines in prices for memory chips and lower demand for screens like the OLED display it makes for Apple's iPhone. Trickle down effect from Apple's poor sales. More people having their old phones fixed instead of buying new, ridiculously expensive ones.

I don't need expensive. I need reliable and durable. I'm typing on my $120 Samsung phone right now. Seems to work. Got a Samsung tablet at home. It's my 2nd. The 1st died after 5 years of heavy use. Not of natural causes either. I spilled water on it. I don't need newest or best. I stick with what I like and know. Till it's obsolete and I'm forced to change. I'm old like that.

I'm still using my 2012 Microsoft Windows phone.  The apps suck... and there are no more software updates.  But I can still make and receive calls and texts.  Unfortunately, I can't get Vikings' tickets with it.  That requires a level of "smartness" that my phone doesn't have.

Read a great article on cell phone usage in China.  Apple used to command the market but competing Chinese companies are kicking Apple's butt.  The customer's aren't seeing the need to upgrade annually at their exorbitant prices when quality phones can be had much cheaper. 

Honestly, blame consumer demand as to why Apple got so ridiculous: Thousands of people used to camp out overnight at Apple stores to pay stupid money for new phones when they were released. A bunch of freaking addicts. I'm sure Apple thought it would never end and of course, being greedy, pushed the envelope to the point that some common sense and practicality kicked in for consumers at long last. 

There have been no advancements in phone tech in nearly five years. Nobody has a reason to upgrade anymore. My wife has been eligible for a "free" upgrade for about a year and has no desire to switch. It's more of a hassle than a benefit for most people.

Need to correct myself. My phone is LG. Says so right at the bottom...oops. My tablet is definitely Samsung though.
Either way I'm not paying $800+ for a phone ever. I don't use enough of the bells and whistles to ever justify the cost. Got other things worth buying.