Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did TB sign a 1 yr with Saints?
Seeing him on the sidelines today made me wonder if he's heir apparent to Brees or going to finally end-up with a FL team?

Nope. But he did sign a 1 year deal with Jets and his contract was traded to Saints. I would love to have him back as a backup but if Jags are smart they would move hard for him this offseason.

Saints alter Teddy Bridgewater's contract to create 2018 cap space: reportWhen the New Orleans Saints traded for quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, his $5 million salary for 2018 ate up a significant portion of their salary cap space for the year, money the team needs to sign players throughout the season as injuries inevitably happen. 
The Saints this week made a move to lessen the strain of Bridgewater's salary. According to an ESPN report Friday, the team converted more than $4 million of Bridgewater's base salary into a signing bonus and added two voidable years to his contract to free $2.71 million in cap space for this year.
https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/09/saints_teddy_bridgewater_contr.html

... player voidable?

What does his base salary look like if they decide that's a great value for a backup over the next 2 seasons? Their 2018 cap issues will be over soon and they already paid him...

I don't see any way the Saints are able to hold on to Teddy unless Brees retires. 

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
... player voidable?

What does his base salary look like if they decide that's a great value for a backup over the next 2 seasons? Their 2018 cap issues will be over soon and they already paid him...
They auto void so there is no possibility of him playing on them unless they agree to a new deal. It's strictly a salary cap technique to allocate out the signing bonus. 

There are a few teams that might allow Teddy to compete for the starting job. But he won't be handed anything outright, IMO. Unless Brees shocks the world and retires this year, I don't see him staying on the Saints.

So who is likely to be interested? Jaguars, Dolphins, and Bucs could all have some degree of interest, also the Broncos and Giants. Anyone else? If I was Bridgewater, I would try to avoid a team that will pick a QB in the first round and use him as a bridge. My guess is he will be a Dolphin - decent fit and it's his home.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@BlackMagic7 said:
... player voidable?

They auto void so there is no possibility of him playing on them unless they agree to a new deal. It's strictly a salary cap technique to allocate out the signing bonus. 

Is that a new contract (something he signed) or is it a maneuver the team can pull of with a briefcase of cash and a fax to the league office?

I guess the harder I think about it the less sense it makes. How exactly does converting strung out payments to be made this season into one lump sum to be made this season give them cap relief? I guess I envisioned a signed contract including the 2 voidable years; Teddy spreading out something like the vet minimum salary over the next 2 seasons off his current deal and taking the rest now up front as a bonus.

If it's a maneuver the team can just pull off, I guess I'm wondering what the voidable years, 2 and 3, look like "on paper." Do they include something like a salary of $0 thus triggering the void or something like that the legally makes the deal void? Are there some type of terms written that ultimately won't apply because of the auto void?

Not only are they pushing Brees money into the future but
also his backups?