Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpEd: It's time for RS to reward two more Vikings
I was just thinking they may ask Griff to rework his contract this offseason.  Kinda seems silly so soon after extending him, but it makes sense as Hunter is now our best DE.

The bottom line is the Viking's have options to clear cap space if they want to in the offseason. And that will depend a lot on how things end up this year. No playoffs and it could be a mini-clear out of some cap space to shore up that offensive line. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@pumpf said:
I'm not sold on Richardson.  He's weak vs. the run and- on one of his sacks last night, Hunter did all the work (drew 2 defenders to him); all Richardson had to do was loop around.  He's played OK; but he sure doesn't appear to be a "game-breaker".  Thielen, on the other hand...
I am with you, but Zimmer seems to like what he quietly does for the D.  Dunno how much of that is coach speak, but he has certainly filled a void this year.  I wouldn't break the bank for him and may look for an upgrade in the draft.
Thielen is certainly worth getting reworked.  But he isn't worth Diggs money IMO.  Diggs still draws the defenses attention and Adam is the master at beating the #2 or the slot corner.  He is a great WR, but not worth top dollar IMO.
I think the combination of Diggs and Thielen is what gives defenses problems so you kind of have to take care of both to keep the package.  it was even mentioned the other night that the Vikes really need a third receive to step forward to become unstoppable.  Kind of the Moss, Carter and maybe Jake Reed effect.

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
I'm not sold on Richardson.  He's weak vs. the run and- on one of his sacks last night, Hunter did all the work (drew 2 defenders to him); all Richardson had to do was loop around.  He's played OK; but he sure doesn't appear to be a "game-breaker".  Thielen, on the other hand...
I am with you, but Zimmer seems to like what he quietly does for the D.  Dunno how much of that is coach speak, but he has certainly filled a void this year.  I wouldn't break the bank for him and may look for an upgrade in the draft.
Thielen is certainly worth getting reworked.  But he isn't worth Diggs money IMO.  Diggs still draws the defenses attention and Adam is the master at beating the #2 or the slot corner.  He is a great WR, but not worth top dollar IMO.
I think the combination of Diggs and Thielen is what gives defenses problems so you kind of have to take care of both to keep the package.  it was even mentioned the other night that the Vikes really need a third receive to step forward to become unstoppable.  Kind of the Moss, Carter and maybe Jake Reed effect.
i dont think it even needs to be 1 player to fill that 3rd weapon role,  a fixed OL and Rudy becomes a lot more dangerous as well as Cook out of the backfield.  lots of things look better with a competent OL.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@ThunderGod said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
i dont think it even needs to be 1 player to fill that 3rd weapon role,  a fixed OL and Rudy becomes a lot more dangerous as well as Cook out of the backfield.  lots of things look better with a competent OL.
Agreed, we saw that against GB.  Since we had Reiff and O'Neill at OT and GB didn't really have a huge threat at pass rush, Rudy was out in routes more and took advantage of the attention paid to our WRs.
I agree that it is the combo of those two and how well they can move around.  But the getting the #1 corner tells me who defenses fear, and that is Diggs.

@ThunderGod said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@ThunderGod said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:

Good point.  Kind of "death by a thousand cuts".
Greediron does go back to the original thought that Diggs is the most feared right now.  I think Cook may become more dangerous too once they figure out how to use him and get him free.  He is the other player that carve out huge yards for the offense.

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@ThunderGod said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@ThunderGod said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:

Greediron does go back to the original thought that Diggs is the most feared right now.  I think Cook may become more dangerous too once they figure out how to use him and get him free.  He is the other player that carve out huge yards for the offense.

I think the problem with Cook is a bit 2 fold... one is he can only release if he is certain that the OL has picked up the rush....well there cant be a lot of confidence in that happening these days so he is late to get into a route,  the second issue is that when he is able to release because the line picks up the rush.... they dont hold a block well and Cousins is outta time before Cook has a chance to turn around.

Quote:

I was thinking the same about Cook.  As he gets more comfortable in the offense and Flip starts to use him more, he can be a dynamic option to flex out at WR.  One big run was a jet sweep by Cook with Diggs lined up in the backfield. 

I think Richardson was a one-year stop gap signee.  I think that still stands.