Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After slow start, Vikings defense is living up to expectations
Following a Week 4 collapse in Los Angeles in which the Rams posted 38 points and 465 yards passing, it appeared the days of an elite defense in Minnesota might be coming to an end. But with a dominant performance over the Green Bay Packers and future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the Vikings defense has moved itself into the best-of-the-best category for the fourth straight season under head coach Mike Zimmer.

The Vikings currently rank toward the top in nearly every key statistical area. They rank fifth in yards allowed per play, eighth in opponent quarterback rating, third in sacks and third in yards per rushing attempt.

In more analytic-type areas, Pro Football Focus grades them the third overall defense in the NFL, Pro-Football Reference ranks the Vikings No. 2 in Expected Points Added and they sit fourth in opponent Adjusted Yards per Attempt.
Zimmer’s defense has also given up the fewest touchdown passes in the league this season and the Vikings have gone five games in a row without allowing more than 200 yards passing. That’s in an NFL in which teams average 248 yards passing per game.
The Vikings’ defensive-minded head coach said that earlier in the season there was reason to believe the defense was fading, but adjustments combined with a strong top-to-bottom roster have played a role in the resurgence.
“If you asked me that about seven weeks ago, I’d probably be pretty concerned,” Zimmer said. “It’s a long season. There are a lot of things that go on throughout the course of time. We still have good players. They’re playing good, they’re concentrating, they’re focusing on the things we have to try to do each week. I just think we’ve had to change a little bit from where we started the season and these guys have handled it well.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/1...ectations/

“Zim and the defensive staff…have gotten very creative of doing different things and using different combinations,” GM Rick Spielman said during the bye week. “You even see it last week when they did some certain things and Mackensie Alexander [sacked Matthew Stafford] and no one touched him coming off a blitz. It’s always evolving. When you are missing critical pieces, how do you adapt to that and adapt to that adversity? That’s what makes this staff unique.”
“Those are the adjustments that Zim made to the scheme, to me that’s great coaching,” Spielman added.
The addition of Sheldon Richardson has helped make up for injuries and weaknesses in other areas this season. Richardson picked up two sacks of Rodgers on Sunday night and ranks in the top 10 in QB pressures from an interior defensive linemen this season.
“One of the things we look for in our three-technique is first step quickness and then lateral quickness and he has those things really well,” Zimmer said. “But the thing that kind of surprised me a little bit is the power that he has with it. The good three-techniques I have been around have all kind of had those qualities.”

There are smart guys in the league now offensively that can prepare, gameplan and are thinking outside the box. Need to tweak and change or you'll be the dinosaur holding a cardboard box with your office stuff in it as you head out the door. I give Z credit for tweaking his D and turning it around within one season, that's tough to do. He rightly gives credit to the players, also. If Minnesota can keep the current offensive line they started on Sunday night healthy and they get Cook more involved, they might surprise in the final 5 games. But I don't feel it this year as they haven't beaten a winning team yet.

I know injuries are a part of every team and all.. but the Vikes had some solid starters in and out this year.. 
Joseph
Hughes
Rhodes
Barr
Griff..
That'll tweek the stats