Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Minnesota Vikings have the best safety in the NFL

[Image: 1063410010.jpg.0.jpg]Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty ImagesWe know that the Minnesota Vikings have one of the best safeties in the National Football League in Harrison Smith. Frankly, we’ve been arguing for a number of seasons now that Smith is the best safety in the National Football League, despite the fact that he doesn’t get the sort of love from a lot of places that a player of his caliber should.
Through the first ten games of this Minnesota Vikings season, the folks from Pro Football Focus have finally decided that the Vikings do, in fact, have the best safety in the National Football League.
But it’s not Harrison Smith.
Yes, coming off of his two-interception performance in the Vikings’ loss on Sunday Night Football against the Chicago Bears, safety Anthony Harris has jumped up the PFF rankings and is now the best safety in the entire National Football League.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/11/19/18103902/minnesota-vikings-best-safety-nfl-anthony-harris

Wowza!

Love it

And yet another high dollar contract going on the defensive side of the ball?  I think the smart choice would be to offer him a modest  contract and them see what FA offers him.  Maybe he is a transition tag candidate?  We certainly don't want to lose him as he is a good young players,  but we can't keep putting the oline on the back burner,  it's evident that a few good olinemen isn't enough, I don't think we should consider 5 enough the way we ha e lost them the last few year to injury....although with the drop off of Isidora and a few others this year I wonder how much of that is from the coaching perpescrive after losing Sparano?

He’s not going to be a high dollar salary for us at
least.  Between him, Sendejo, and Illoka
one of them is going to be a good safety for a moderate price.

We just can’t continue to spend boatloads of money on the
defense, when we’re good at developing defensive players and we desperately
need OLine.  If we’re going to spend big
money on this team, I think the hierarchy goes: 
OG … Sheldon Richardson … well that’s it.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
He’s not going to be a high dollar salary for us at
least.  Between him, Sendejo, and Illoka
one of them is going to be a good safety for a moderate price.

We just can’t continue to spend boatloads of money on the
defense, when we’re good at developing defensive players and we desperately
need OLine.  If we’re going to spend big
money on this team, I think the hierarchy goes: 
OG … Sheldon Richardson … well that’s it.
I see Harris (if he continues to perform as he is) getting a nice pay day.  He will be a RFA so he could maybe see a 2nd round tender which would pay him around 3 million.  I also expect the team to keep 2 of the 3 with Iloka being the 2nd,  he hasnt really done anything this year to help his paycheck and if he is as happy to be back with Zim as he initially was then he might be the cheaper of the remaining 2.  I think the team will continue to carry 5 safeties with a rookie being brought in as well.

Harris has definitely improved and it's been great to see, but this also feels like anomalous PFF statistics. What is the sample size? Harris, Kearse, and Iloka are all getting time and a lot of it is specific situations designed to play to the strength of each. Give him a $3M/year deal? No thanks - if someone wants to pay him a lot, they are welcome to him.