Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: So I just got back from Brazil (hops related)
That's great to hear things are going well and that you are being rewarded for your passion.  Living in Washington State and being a big beer geek, I'd love to hear more about your hops, this essential oil, and company.  Is the oil something added to the boil along with hops, or something put on hops while growing??  Any breweries in WA using your product(s)? 

Cheers  

Quote: @"NorthwestNorseman" said:
That's great to hear things are going well and that you are being rewarded for your passion.  Living in Washington State and being a big beer geek, I'd love to hear more about your hops, this essential oil, and company.  Is the oil something added to the boil along with hops, or something put on hops while growing??  Any breweries in WA using your product(s)? 

Cheers  
Hey Northwest, how far are you from Bremerton?  Silver City Brewery uses our Azacca..actually they are a pretty big user of our products.  Not sure what the brews are.  

No, this is more like a pure aroma extract, but made from fresh hops at harvest time.  So the aroma and taste is more like fresh, not dried, processed hops.  If you think of "liquid dry-hopping" as the process, you'll get it.  We get rid of the biomass.  

And really..who knew?

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
@"NorthwestNorseman" said:

Cheers  
Hey Northwest, how far are you from Bremerton?  Silver City Brewery uses our Azacca..actually they are a pretty big user of our products.  Not sure what the brews are.  

No, this is more like a pure aroma extract, but made from fresh hops at harvest time.  So the aroma and taste is more like fresh, not dried, processed hops.  If you think of "liquid dry-hopping" as the process, you'll get it.  We get rid of the biomass.  

And really..who knew?

Hhhmmm, interesting concept with the extract.  Does it give off any flavor to the beer during the process, or is it strictly for aroma?  I live in Bellingham but drive around for work a lot.  I go to Silver City quite a bit, they do good stuff.  Good luck the rest of the way! 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
@"NorthwestNorseman" said:

Cheers  

And really..who knew?
Crazy.  So you extract an oil from the hops during harvest and then use that to accentuate the flavor and aroma?  Seems almost counterintuitive, but yet makes sense.  And I don't know squat about brewing. 

Either way it sounds like fun, inventing and innovating and all that stuff.

Tom can correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like, the oil is used for aroma hops and eliminates the biomass or additional trub in the secondary fermentation process, which should give a much cleaner tasting beer.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
Tom can correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like, the oil is used for aroma hops and eliminates the biomass or additional trub in the secondary fermentation process, which should give a much cleaner tasting beer.
It depends how you use it.  Fresher, more intense flavor and aroma.  Hop-forward beers experience a longer shelf-life, and more.

You beer geeks probably might find this insightful.  A real inside look into Craft breweries and what challenges that brewers are faced with every day...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hFClqzeoSY&feature=youtu.be