Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it my imagination or is our pass-rush not very good right now?
I'm too lazy to look-up sacks/hurries for 2018 vs previous Zimmer teams...

We went up against the best tackle tandem in the league last night so that may have had something to with it. 
Griffin was a total non factor in his first game back. I was expecting a Kalil Mack like moment but that didn't materialize. Brees is also really good at getting rid of the ball the minute he faces pressure he can't escape from. Something Cousins continues to struggle with. 

It didn't matter last night as Brees had 120 yards passing.  There was nothing to rush.  They can't figure out stopping the quick, short passing game to Kamara.
We almost double the yardage on the Aints...they only had 106 rushing to our 85.  Cousins had 338.  You can't gift wrap and hand deliver 14 points in the NFL and expect to win against anybody.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
It didn't matter last night as Brees had 120 yards passing.  There was nothing to rush.  They can't figure out stopping the quick, short passing game to Kamara.
We almost double the yardage on the Aints...they only had 106 rushing to our 85.  Cousins had 338.  You can't gift wrap and hand deliver14 points in the NFL and expect to win against anybody.
Yup.  Our aged and out of touch defensive old school coach held the mighty Saints offense in check.  Saw a stat during the game, Brees hadn't thrown 20 yards down the field and only had a couple in the 10-20 range.  And we still hit him and caused an INT.

It took that gimmick 44 yard fluke pass to even set up their first TD.  The Vikes D has nothing to be ashamed about.  You allow the Aints those numbers and usually you win. 
Turnovers, while delicious to eat, are deadly in the NFL.

We didn't lose last night because of a lack of a pass rush, we lost because of turnovers and some real questionable coaching decisions.

I'm talking about the year as a whole vs last night in a vacuum.

I wasn't sure what kind of juice Griffen would provide and it wasnt much viewing from up in the stands. Maybe he had some pressures. No knock in Everson, I felt he'd have some rust to knock off. 

It's still very good, but as Collinsworth correctly pointed out last night, it's best when augmented by a few well-timed blitzes, which is not advised when, one, you're facing Drew Brees, and two, you have an undrafted rookie manning the corner. I've been pretty satisfied with it in most games, considering our 3rd down defense and what we did against the previous 3 QBs. 

The Saints had a game plan vs. our pass rush: short, quick passes.  The only way to stop that is to either get a turnover... or to stop them on third down once in a while.  Also, it would help to play with a lead, so that the other team couldn't simply grind out yards.