Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonus coverage, some insight into the Ram's offense versus our D
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/10/2/...sean-mcvay

You can see through these and some of the other film study articles that the Vikings D was expecting a heavy dose of Gurley.  They were looking run on many of these plays.

But one to highlight an issue for the Vikings (and an ongoing beef many have with cutting experience at the DE spot) was the second Cupp TD that was an incredible throw over Hughes and Waynes.  It was pretty good coverage except that Hughes ran into Waynes at the end and perhaps Waynes wasn't deep enough.  But watch the LDE, 90.  Gets moved by a weak chip by the TE and then doesn't get upfield to defend the jet sweep or contain the QB.  Without fully knowing the responsibilities there,  I would assume that getting pushed inside would tell an experienced DE that he needs to cover the edge.  But instead 90 loafs upfield allowing Goff to thread that needle.  Even defending the sweep would have freed up Waynes a bit earlier to get deeper.

Also the second to last clip shows the big catch and run by Gurley with the flag that didn't count.  2 things.  Notice Gurley sell the block that causes Smith to avoid him and thus freeing him up for the screen.  Well done.  Also, Hunter tracks down Gurley.  Pretty impressive IMO. 

McVay did his homework this offseason and knew how to setup our D.  We have a long road ahead, but if we meet again, I am sure the film of their offense will help expose some of the disguises for our D.

Quote: @greediron said:

McVay did his homework this offseason and knew how to setup our D.  We have a long road ahead, but if we meet again, I am sure the film of their offense will help expose some of the disguises for our D.

I think that McVay vividly remembers the whooping we put on them last year and wanted to return the favor.  Hopefully this was enough of a wakeup for our team to fix some of the issues that have been plaguing us.

Quote: @medaille said:
@greediron said:

I think that McVay vividly remembers the whooping we put on them last year and wanted to return the favor.  Hopefully this was enough of a wakeup for our team to fix some of the issues that have been plaguing us.
Agreed.  I have no doubt he had this game circled and spent some extra time on our D.  That is the trouble with being #1, everyone is going to give their best shot.  Wish we could have gotten one stop as our offense took care of their D.  That inexperience at DE was glaring on the one play.  We have seen BRob defend that boot many times before.

Quote: @greediron said:
@medaille said:
@greediron said:

Agreed.  I have no doubt he had this game circled and spent some extra time on our D.  That is the trouble with being #1, everyone is going to give their best shot.  Wish we could have gotten one stop as our offense took care of their D.  That inexperience at DE was glaring on the one play.  We have seen BRob defend that boot many times before.
I would like to think that the Vikings have had the Eagles game circled on the calendar. That last one was brutal. Seriously it's early in the season but the defense needs to get out of the funk. It's going to be a bumpy ride with some of the young guys paying their dues but hopefully some adjustments are made. We need some creativity on defense.