Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Yary speaks
“It’s up to the quarterback to get all the distance he can out of his line,” Ron Yarysaid last week. “I mean, if your quarterback has a good rapport with your offensive line, they’ll play up to snuff. But if you don’t like the quarterback because he’s smug and arrogant, and he becomes a coach, you’ve got problems.” 
During his brief time in Minnesota, Cousins, the Vikings’ $84 million QB, seems to have gained the respect of his injury-disrupted offensive line. 
Yary, 72, the hall of fame offensive lineman who played in each of the Vikings’ four Super Bowls, has strong feelings about the importance of the quarterback-offensive line relationship. 
“Your quarterback’s got to have a passion to play the game,” Yary said from his home in Murrieta, Calif. “It’s got to be blood for him. If you can’t see it in his eyes — I mean, you see a lot in that huddle when you look guys in the eyes. I’ve seen a couple guys afraid in there before that almost made me furious. I saw fear. 
When you’re in a huddle, you look in each other’s soul.” 
For instance, Yary loved playing for QB Joe Kapp with the Vikings. 
“When Joe Kapp was there, football was no better than having Joe Kapp as your quarterback,” he said. “He’d be in the huddle and he’d laugh, he’d talk to the guys, and you knew that there’s no other place in the world that he would rather be than in a huddle with you. 
“He’d look you in the eyes and say, ‘Listen, we’re going to run a 27 power, can you block that guy?’ He’d look right at you in the huddle and ask you that question. And what are you going to say, no? 
“But the reason he’d do it is because he knew that yes was going to be yes. Now he’s putting the focus on you and everybody’s counting on you, so you’re going to get the best expectation out of the guy.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/25/ch...-his-line/