Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings are handling Dalvin Cook with care
Dalvin Cook has all but been encased in bubble wrap by a Vikings athletic training staff that knows a thing or two about returning a running back to full health.
His surgically repaired left knee free of any brace or support, Cook spent the dog days of camp impressing spectators with evasive, sharp cuts. But like Peterson in the lead-up to 2012, Cook has all but been encased in bubble wrap by a Vikings athletic training staff that knows a thing or two about returning a running back to full health. He didn’t play in last weekend’s preseason opener, or in front of fans during an up-tempo Aug. 4 night practice.
Mike Zimmer, the play-through-it type of old-school coach, knows Cook’s value is too great. Zimmer has said he wants him to play at some point in the preseason, but won’t say when. It’s unlikely he will play much, if at all, on Saturday against the Jaguars because of both his potential and what he’s already shown in practices.
“When he’s out there, it’s easy to see,” Rudolph said. “I remember the first couple carries he had this offseason when he was just getting back into team periods, it was like, ‘Oh, wow, yeah that’s Dalvin. There he goes again making cuts no one else can make, finding holes no one else can find.’ ”
Cook wants the world to know he’s “ready to go” after last year’s season-ending injury in Week 4. Zimmer and Cook contend he could play in a game tomorrow. But the Vikings are focused on the Sept. 9 season opener against the 49ers, which still gives Cook more than three weeks to get into a game-ready condition. It’s been a crawl to get to the Sunday sprints.
“Each day we’re trying to stack on a few more plays, few more days in a row,” Zimmer said. “That’s really what we’re trying to do, is trying to get him in game-ready shape.”
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-are-h...491078141/

I knew this is exactly how it would go: Cook is the team's Porsche that they barely got to drive last year that is now out of the shop. Its not going out in the rain just yet. They love their new Porsche, excited to get it out on the open road and let it rip. But baby steps until its the regular season. 

I don't get why some fans are so determined to get him preseason reps. You can see what he's capable of last season.

Home crowd will have to settle for LM this week and seeing their new franchise qb for the first time.

Game 3 is when he'll get a couple reps is what I am thinking. Thats the game where the #1's get the most playing time anyways.

Not sure how many #1's we'll play beyond a series Game 4. 

I have mixed thoughts on the matter.  I'd like to see him get some reps, knock the rust off, get hit a couple times.  I still have strong memories of AD taking 3 games to hit his stride because he took all of the preseason off.  The other side of me doesn't want him running behind a makeshift OLine where they're just testing backups to see if any of them can start.