Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compton Returns Home To Join Vikings
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It might not have been the splashiest free agent signing, but it was an important one.
The signing was valuable for the Minnesota Vikings, who needed offensive line depth. And for Tom Compton, the Rosemount native, coming back home was too good to pass up.
“Oh man. Coming back here, I think they’ll probably come out and it’ll bring back some of those memories,” Compton said. “Obviously going to state semifinals, playing in the old (Hubert H. Humphrey) Metrodome, you never forget that kind of stuff, so it’s good to be back.”
Compton already has a familiarity with the new Vikings quarterback, Kirk Cousins. Compton and Cousins were both drafted by the Washington Redskins in 2012 and played together until 2015. It’s a big reason he’s here.
“Me and Kirk definitely have a history together, playing together,” Compton said. “There’s a lot of carry-over. Especially when it comes to cadence or verbiage and stuff like that. You kind of pick up on that pretty quickly.”
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/08/1...o-vikings/

Compton has performed at a similar level to Nick Easton, in both pass protection and run blocking, according to Pro Football Focus (PFF) grading. Compton is 29 - 3 years older than Easton - and played 342 snaps for the Bears last year, first at left guard, but mostly right guard. He had his highest PFF pass blocking grade of the season (83.5) last year week 17 against the Vikings. Career-to-date, Compton has played in 71 games with 15 starts.
All that suggests Compton could come in and perform at a similar level to Easton if need be.
This could be one of those very underrated signings...like when we signed Tom Johnson...worst case, we hold serve at LG...I'm still pulling for Collins...