Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB Jaylon Smith
This was the kid that had the gruesome injury in college and the Cowboys still took him in round 2 last year of the Draft. When healthy, he was absolutely dominate. But he didn't play a down last year and I just saw some video of him at their camp this year: he's still limping. He's not right yet. I don't see how he's going to play this year as a starter. So that could be 2 YEARS with nothing to show for taking the 34th player in the Draft....that's an incredibly high gamble. Of course, the national media draft pundits gave Dallas major kudos for it at the time.

Its interesting.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
This was the kid that had the gruesome injury in college and the Cowboys still took him in round 2 last year of the Draft. When healthy, he was absolutely dominate. But he didn't play a down last year and I just saw some video of him at their camp this year: he's still limping. He's not right yet. I don't see how he's going to play this year as a starter. So that could be 2 YEARS with nothing to show for taking the 34th player in the Draft....that's an incredibly high gamble. Of course, the national media draft pundits gave Dallas major kudos for it at the time.

Its interesting.
There are certain teams that get lauded for these types of moves. Other teams get slammed for the audacity of trying to gamble. 

The sports media really bugs me. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Its interesting.
There are certain teams that get lauded for these types of moves. Other teams get slammed for the audacity of trying to gamble. 

Yup.  We'd have been excoriated had we made that same deal. But Jurrah will get a pass.

part of me really feelsbad for Jaylon.... but the biggest part of me is laughing my ass off at Jerruhs gamble once again blowing up in his face.

This is also a lesson about the validity of glowing reports injured players put out about themselves during rehab and how their friends/teammates will gush about their "miraculous" progress - of which there have been plenty regarding Smith. Funny, we NEVER see a tweet from a player that says, "I won't ever be as fast as I was before I got hurt", or a teammate telling an interviewer, "So-and-so wants to play again but it looks like he's finished"... The only truth is on the field in public, the rest is PR.

I still am in shock when you had Miles Jack sitting there for them. I get that he had his own concerns, but at least he was able to play at a high level for at least a few years.

I just heard a report a week(ish) ago that he was basically at 100% and ready to impress and get on the field this year.  Is this a new injury, a tweak or was that other report just a Public BS Announcement to pass the time?  I feel bad for the player, but have no remorse for the Boys.  

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Its interesting.

Dallas also Gambled the year earlier on Randy Gregory, and that was huge throw away pick, but they did get a UDRFA that should have been a top 15-20 pick.

Jaylon Smith’s nerve shows improvement as Cowboys have high hopes for LBJaylon Smith’s latest electromyogram (EMG) test showed improvement in the nerve, and though it still may be months before the linebacker’s peroneal nerve fully regenerates, it was good news.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...es-for-lb/

So will it heal while he is still under cotract with dallas?