Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elflein to start camp on the PUP list
Not great.

EAGAN, Minn. — The Vikings announced on Wednesday that center Pat Elflein will begin training camp on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. Once cleared by doctors, Elflein will be able to begin practice immediately.
Elflein is entering his second season after being a third-round draft pick out of Ohio State in 2017. He started 14 regular-season games and two playoff games before suffering a fractured ankle in the NFC Championship against Philadelphia.
The 23-year-old was named to PFWA’s All-Rookie team for his play in 2017, as he helped Minnesota’s offense finished seventh overall in rushing just one season as the Vikings ranked 32nd in that category.

Just read that as well. Just how worried should I be about this? Was this expected, say, two months ago? Is he "behind schedule"?  Just don't like the idea of our young center not getting the reps with his new QB. Big bummer to hear this. But maybe Im just an old worry wart!

And now this makes sense - they added O lineman J.P Quinn (Center) to the squad. Maybe they expect Pat to be out for quite awhile.
https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-add...-to-roster

Honestly, its more procedural than anything to be overly concerned about at this point. He can come off at any time and the feel is still it will be very soon. But....we've seen this before and there's always a chance it lingers longer than anticipated. Elflein needs to get in a groove with Cousins as I don't believe they've been able to do anything together yet. QB and center need to be hand and glove. 

Nothing to get nuts about yet, but let's hope its very soon he returns.

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
And now this makes sense - they added O lineman J.P Quinn (Center) to the squad. Maybe they expect Pat to be out for quite awhile.
https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-add...-to-roster
I'm going to not read to much into a signing like this. Other then say you need so many guys at each position in camp to spread out the reps. I do agree it would be better if he was in camp working with Kirk. Getting familiar with each other. 

Hopefully this is just waiting for a doctor's clearance and he doesn't miss all of training camp, which isn't very long. Training camp ENDS in three weeks. He's 6 months into the injury. If he's not ready yet, I wonder how ready he'll be in three weeks. 

The bright side is that players like Isadora, Compton, Andrews and Gossett will be getting much needed reps at guard. 

The update is that both his ankle and shoulder are still bothering him. Zimmer did say earlier that it won't be long.

Flash backs of Sully all over...Hopefully Pat is close to being back.